Main Menu

Tor Cyan

Started by thinky, 23 March, 2005, 02:18:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thinky

i went through a phase last year of buying up old 2thou's that we're out in my 'missing' phase, but then never got around to read them

finally, i sat down and went through them all and - as i expected - the quality and readability were variable

*but*

they did contain the (i think) maligned Tor Cyan and -while the stories weren't perfect, they were entertaining enough

anyway, i chose [Debate] as the subject for a good reason... did ever a story have three of the finest art droids on roster as this one did?

Kev Walker (thankfully casting aside his ABC Warriors art for a more minimalist look),
Colin Wilson (being just as techno-gorgeous as ever - all straight lines and alien worlds),
and the ever-impressive Jock

don't care if it doesn't read well, a collected edition would *look* gorgeous

thinky
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Richmond Clements

Can't argue with any of that.
In fact, it's one of those tales that would certainly benefit from being read in one go.

Talking of Kev Walker (and sorry for moving the topic so early) I was thinking today that a collect edition of the first series of Mercy Heights would be great.

,Mr. Nice

My (and I suspect other peoples) problem with the Tor Cyan spinoff was that is that it shoe-horned Tor into the already tortuous Rogue Trooper continuity, whereas before in Mercy Heights it seemed like a cute little homage (that the Shuttle Pilot with a millitary past he didn't like to talk about had blue skin). Not to mention that it appeared to kill of any hopes for Mercy Heights III, Mercy Heights had some interesting characters in it, and there were a more then a few strands left dangling from Book II.

Funt Solo

Damn - I agree with you all.

I did used to wonder "when's Tor going back to Mercy Heights, then?"

Imagine if...before he'd left Mercy Heights he'd somehow transferred the personalities of 3 of the other characters into various parts of his equipment (no snarfing!)

I can't decide if that's the worst idea I've ever had or if it would've been entertaining.

Bring back Mercy Heights!  The campaign starts here.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Oddboy

I loved Tor Cyan and Mercy Heights. Deffo bring him/them back.

Yeah, it did suffer being forced back into 'original' RT history but that wasn't really a problem and I thought it was handled very well and led to a great re-introduction to Gordon's New Old Rogue Trooper stories. He'd just discovered exactly who he was, and then dives straight into Flashback mode! Totally room for him to come back, especially if Gordon's Rogue has been laid to rest.

(NB. I ignore *all* off the Fr1day stuff as 'elseworlds' non-real stuff. I do like The War Machine, but it *isn't* in continuity, that was kinda the point. When it later forced Fr1day and Rogue to meet, well THAT NEVER HAPPENED and I'd rather read MM's Return To Verdus.)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kathan/chicka/dreddcon5/09torcyan.jpg">
Better set your phaser to stun.

Funt Solo

Return to Verdus?  I don't think I remember that one.  Next you'll be telling me that Cutie was reinvented as an insane love-bot and the whole thing was set in a theme park.  Yeah...right!

Aye - there was no reason for Friday and Rogue to be in the same universe:  although the idea that there were multiple wars with multiple gene trooper experiments is an interesting one.

There's just no reason for them ever to meet.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

IndigoPrime

Bringing back the bio-chips was also a very, very bad move, because, to all extents and purposes, the "new" Rogue became the "old" Rogue, which had jumped the shark so spectacularly around the time of the hit. (What a shame John Smith hadn't taken over before that point, because his Cinnebar was the best Rogue tale to date?at least in my humble opinion!)