Main Menu

NEW DR WHO TONIGHT (26/3/05) WHAT DID YOU THINK...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 26 March, 2005, 07:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Running Clam

Don't know why but I quite liked the plastic boyfriend bit.

Leigh S

Much better than it had any right to be - OK, so there was little 'plot' but there wasnt meant to be one - it was a bout introducing the characters and concepts, and did that perfectly.  Eccleston was perfect - all the clips I'd seen didnt prepare me for how well he did every aspect of teh role, from manic to serious - Even Piper exceeded expectations.

The only real downer was the terrible incidental music, which undermined a lot of the tension, especially in the early section.  

And nice to see Beeb f*** up by piping in Norton at the most opportune moments - well done you arses! :)

Funt Solo

I managed to miss Graham Norton interupting things, which is good (hurrah for cable).

I really enjoyed it:  forgiving Eccleston settling into the role and being a lot more hyperactive than anything else I've seen him in.

I also forgive dodgy CGI, on the grounds that Doctor Who has always had crap special effects:  anyone who complains about them now but didn't as a child needs to book themselves into the "willing suspension of disbelief" clinic at the earliest opportunity.

The dramatic tension of both the wheelie bin scene and the "teetering on the brink waiting for help" scene were stretched, but those are minor gripes.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Buddy

OK I missed it due to an argument before it was on and resulting in the owner of both TV's in the house 'not letting me watch them', fucking childish or what, almost resorted to violence (not becaue I missed Dr Who, because of the pettiness of it all).

Anyway, a few questions.. was there a regeneration from the previous Dr to Eccelston?

Will it be repeted (BBC repet everything so I'm assuming this'll turn up at about 2:30am on a wednesday morning or whatever).

Anyone record it and let me borrow it if it ain't repeated?

I'll have to buy my own TV for next week.

The Amstor Computer

Umpty -

No regeneration, but a clear reference to him having recently regenerated (commenting on his appearance when he saw himself in a mirror, for example).

I *think* it's repeated tomorrow, but someone else can probably confirm if it is.

Quirkafleeg

wrighty47

"I also forgive dodgy CGI, on the grounds that Doctor Who has always had crap special effects: anyone who complains about them now but didn't as a child needs to book themselves into the "willing suspension of disbelief" clinic at the earliest opportunity."

Well f'ckin' said that man!!

(A Drunk) Alan!

paulvonscott

Ah, if only the BBC could get Dr Who to rid us all of the Graham Norton consciousness.

Buddy

BBC 3 Bollox!!
Just one of the may BBC services I'm paying for but cannt access.

So, anyone tape it?

The Amstor Computer

"Ah, if only the BBC could get Dr Who to rid us all of the Graham Norton consciousness."

Perhaps The Doctor lost his vial of anti-twat?

;-)

El Spurioso

Things I think worked:  

The banter between Doctor and Rose.
The fun buildup in the first ten or fifteen minutes.

Things I think sucked like a Black Hole fluffer:

The rest.
(With notable mentions for the Effects, the crap tied-up-in-five-minutes plot, and the abysmal London Eye gag)

Seriously, I know it was the first exposition-tastic episode and I'm secretly quite excited about next week after having seen the advert, but I'm totally mystified by how anyone could have enjoyed 100% of this.  So much of it was just such utter cock!

I was cringing with embarassment all through that "sentient lava-lamp" section, intercut Phantom-Menace stylee with the sub-zombie Auton attack.  It played out like a CBBC Sunday-afternoon christmas special.  

Having said all that, the "spinning through space" speech was nice, and there's no doubt that yer man Ecclestone makes a good Doctor - manic grins and all.  I think my biggest bugbear (and I'm still at that critical first-impressions, haven't-really-thought-about-it-much stage) was how lamely the plot unwound itself.  Ah well.

Adrian Bamforth

Devons Daddy

now reading this i cant wait/
it will be arriving next week by express mail with the who specails from last week.
after that its a monthly dvd sent by my father.

as the good son i am. i just bought him a dvd recorder. he was pleased but did notice the conidence of Dr who starting the month.  

but hearing all this i must say i am very pleased.
i have built high expections for my 8 year son and i get the feeling this is not going to be an anti climax.

well done BBC, and good to hear its up to our expections.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Wake

I managed to miss Graham Norton interupting things, which is good (hurrah for cable).

Graham Norton did interrupt my viewing, despite watching on cable. Finn (now 3) was okay with it. He went outside for the initial bit of the bin scene because I told him that it might be scary.

Wake

Tweak72

Just the right amount of quirkiness
Just the right kind of script
Just the right amount of being a bit crap
PERFICT!
nice to see the Docter out seducing young people again ("assistance" oh come ON! he likes older teens AND hes not fussy with what sex they are hes likely to get his head turned by a guy in a kilt as with some buxom gal)
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++