General Chat > Off Topic

The Political Thread

<< < (3/3755) > >>

Jared Katooie:

--- Quote from: HOO-HAA on 09 April, 2010, 06:15:58 PM ---I'm an anarchist (without adjective) so politics, for me, is a huge big white elephant. It's like a posh form of gang warfare. I see nothing that government does that could not be done better, more efficiently and more honestly by you and me.

I wish everyone who continues to seek answers through organised politics all the very best. Me? I'll be spoiling my vote this year, as I did the year before. And I'll be having fun with my spoil :)   

--- End quote ---

What's the point? They'll just throw it in the bin.

HOO-HAA:

--- Quote from: Jared Katooie on 09 April, 2010, 07:48:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: HOO-HAA on 09 April, 2010, 06:15:58 PM ---I'm an anarchist (without adjective) so politics, for me, is a huge big white elephant. It's like a posh form of gang warfare. I see nothing that government does that could not be done better, more efficiently and more honestly by you and me.

I wish everyone who continues to seek answers through organised politics all the very best. Me? I'll be spoiling my vote this year, as I did the year before. And I'll be having fun with my spoil :)   

--- End quote ---

What's the point? They'll just throw it in the bin.

--- End quote ---

You're probably right, but there's two reasons I persist:

1) It gives me a smile and, quite possibly, the poor fecker counting the votes.
2) If everyone who doesn't normally vote (over 33% of Northern Ireland, for example) decided to spoil their vote, instead, it would send out one hell of a message.

johnnystress:
Although spoiling your vote may seem like a waste of time one reason for doing so, if you have no preference is that it will be counted- in as far as calculating the number of people who came out to vote

In Ireland we had to redo a referendum (it's a national pass-time here) because it was deemed that too few people came out to vote. Had more people made their mark-even by drawing willies on the ballot form, the results of the yes and no votes would have stood....

I think

...these things tend to get complicated

Robin Low:

--- Quote from: HOO-HAA on 09 April, 2010, 08:21:04 PM ---2) If everyone who doesn't normally vote (over 33% of Northern Ireland, for example) decided to spoil their vote, instead, it would send out one hell of a message.

--- End quote ---

The only problem here is that a spoilt ballot paper could mean the voter is sending a message, but equally it could mean the voter is an incompetent tit. For that reason, I remain in favour of at least the option of 'None of the Above', but preferably 'Round them Up, Shoot them All'.

As a more general comment, perhaps it would be wiser of we kept our specific voting intentions to ourselves. For example, I consider UKIP to be a sickening bunch of filthy, small-minded, pig-ignorant racist bastards, intent on stirring up hostility and bigotry at every opportunity, and frankly no better than the BNP. I really don't need to know who here is planning on voting for them.

As another general comment, this will end in flames.

Regards

Robin

Martin Jameson:
I'm voting Lib Dem simply because their leader is a Klegg. (Clegg is close enough)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version