General Chat > Off Topic

The Political Thread

<< < (3740/3748) > >>

IndigoPrime:
I remember seeing that. Awful. Mind you, having just returned from a school meeting where mask use was “recommended”, I’m not sure anti-mask posters are necessary anymore. I’d estimate perhaps a fifth of parents were wearing a mask in the closed, unventilated hall. Great.

Funt Solo:
Lots of criticism over theocracies like in Iran and now Afghanistan, but there's a stealth theocracy in power now in the USA. The supreme court has been heavily weighted with right-wing evangelicals, to the extent that Texas now has some of the most severe and repressive anti-abortion laws in the US - just one step away from Poland. The supreme court decided not to rule on it, which opens up more of these laws from other states.

Meanwhile, they did choose to stop an execution because the man requested that a priest lay hands on him as he's being executed, and the court are considering it.

See how humans pretending to be working for their fictional God are taking charge of life AND death in the good old U.S. of A. Hallelujah!

sheridan:

--- Quote from: Funt Solo on 09 September, 2021, 10:16:56 PM ---Lots of criticism over theocracies like in Iran and now Afghanistan, but there's a stealth theocracy in power now in the USA.

--- End quote ---

I think they failed their stealth check, they're not exactly subtle about it!

Tjm86:
I'm not sure America is quite at the same level as the likes of Iraq or Afghanistan but it is definitely a disturbing trend.  Right now it seems like America is a little too chaotic for that.

If anything this is more of Trump's legacy.  As you say, the make up of the Supreme Court has been tilted dangerously to the right.  State legislatures have definitely been taking advantage of that fact.

You can just imagine the response though in many of those states to Biden's announcement this morning about vaccinations. 

Funt Solo:
The anti-abortion law in Texas prompted evangelical sky-god, death-cultists (i.e. Christians) to set up a web site where you could betray your fellow humans by naming and shaming them for attempting to access abortion health care. The idea is to try to get service providers and patients prosecuted. Then this happened...

How TikTokers took down a Texas anti-abortion site

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version