Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 January, 2022, 11:44:40 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 16 January, 2022, 11:22:23 AM
blahblahblahblahblahblah

blahblahblahblahblahblah

blahblahblah'thebigmeancriticbrokemytoys'blahblahblah

SNAKE EYES G.I.JOE ORIGINS

Part of my 2021 catch up of guff action flicks I missed at the time and ya know what, it hits the spot pretty well. You can always depend on Evan Spiliotopoulos to deliver the matinee action pomp and fuck me, getting Iko Uwasai to consult on the action scenes was a call. My type of trash.

Robin Low

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 January, 2022, 10:16:36 AM
Watched The Eternals on Disney+ last night. I'm not sure I get the hate — it's certainly not top tier Marvel, and it's comfortably thirty minutes too long, but it passed the time engagingly enough.

I think that and your subsequent comments some it up pretty well. It's a good, but imperfect piece of entertainment that fits on to the existing setting, rather than feeling perfectly embedded within it.

As for the running time, well, I saw it at the cinema, and just as the opening credits began I started to feel pressure on my bladder. I thus spent most of the film feeling like my groin was about to explode, and not in a good way. By the time I left the cinema, I suspect I was walking funny. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the movie and stayed to the end of the credits.

One of the things I liked was that they very generously granted DC Comics a place within the MCU.

Regards,

Robin

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The last marvel movie I watched was the one where Bobby California was a robot who tried to destroy the world after he went on the internet for five minutes. After that I realised I couldn't really be fucked with these films and stopped watching them. I have heard the one with the big brother from Goonies is good, but the FOMO hasn't got the better of me yet. Still, I wouldn't go around telling people their fun is wrong. Like, I enjoy the Fast and Furious Universe, or the Double Eff U, if you will.

TLDR: I'm the best at watching movies.
You may quote me on that.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mister Pops on 16 January, 2022, 01:21:12 PM
Still, I wouldn't go around telling people their fun is wrong.

Well, quite. Lots of people seem to have enjoyed the newest Star Wars movies. I didn't, and have said so. What I don't do* is pop up online everytime someone says they did enjoy them and tell them why they're wrong. God knows, everything is depressing enough as it is, without trying to suck the joy out of what little cheer people are able to find.

*...any more.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

It is slightly funny folks got in a tizz about someone voicing an opinion, over post where they didn't even voice an opinion. Love to see it.

LAST NIGHT IN SOHO

Next on my list of 2021 catch ups, a movie younger me would have loved but man, Edgar Wright really just isn't for me anymore. Self indulgent and fundamentally misunderstanding the genre modes that allegedly inspired him, all to churn out a turgid, weary excuse for a haunting tale. Not good.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 16 January, 2022, 03:18:29 PM

a movie younger me would have loved but man

I find myself thinking this more and more, about books, telly and films. I'm not sure how it makes me feel
Lock up your spoons!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 16 January, 2022, 06:18:44 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 16 January, 2022, 03:18:29 PM

a movie younger me would have loved but man

I find myself thinking this more and more, about books, telly and films. I'm not sure how it makes me feel

I find myself thinking something similar, younger me did like this, but older me doesn't appreciate this new version that's been repackaged for a larger audience.
You may quote me on that.

pictsy

Quote from: Mister Pops on 16 January, 2022, 01:21:12 PM
The last marvel movie I watched was the one where Bobby California was a robot who tried to destroy the world after he went on the internet for five minutes. After that I realised I couldn't really be fucked with these films and stopped watching them. I have heard the one with the big brother from Goonies is good, but the FOMO hasn't got the better of me yet. Still, I wouldn't go around telling people their fun is wrong. Like, I enjoy the Fast and Furious Universe, or the Double Eff U, if you will.

TLDR: I'm the best at watching movies.

Oh how I wish I had your foresight.  It took me longer to give up on the franchise.

I also like the Double Eff U - I love that joke and I'm stealing it.

You are now my idol for watching movies.

Colin YNWA

Man am I watching a lot of films at the moment - the advent of two new streaming channels in our house is fueling this. Latest is a detour from Wes Anderson as Mrs YNWA wanted the kids to watch 'Don't Look Up'. Bit old for the boy child maybe, but perfect for the Girl one. I mean that in the way it utterly lacks subtly and its a teenage rant about the state of so much in the world. From politics, the media, social media, entertainment and most depressingly the way we consume and are lead by it. Even those who are on the side of 'good', have heard the message, or indeed are trying to deliver it.

I mean its not subtle at all and yet in its hardheaded, stubborn hammering home of its message there's a real uneven charm. Its funny in all the right places. Depressing in all the right places and its simple relentless drive to make its point really works. Its got two great punchlines - which really continue to underscore what its saying. And even at the end, the very very end when I should have been saying "Yes yes I get it cockroachs will survive the apoclypse, we got it already." I was just sniggering at a decent gag.

CalHab

Ghostbusters: Afterlife. They went way overboard on the references to the first film, but this still managed to be its own thing. The leads were likeable (not necessarily easy with a child-genius protagonist), and the decision to relocate to the Mid-West paid off.

pictsy

Dune

I can see why people enjoyed watching this in the cinema.

I thought it was a good adaptation.  They ended it where I thought they should.  It is a pretty film as well.

I thought it was decent.  It's definitely a Dune film.

wedgeski

We watched Eternals last night and Jim's review sums up our feelings. Some of the imagery is truly epic, some of it not so much (I'm thinking the deviants, which looked like cut-price mimics from Live Die Repeat). The deviant subplot is weak and poorly resolved, and the over-arching plot is clumsily delivered (with the whiff of re-shoots and agressive edits, but I may be wrong). Yet the Eternals themselves are an interesting bunch, very well cast, and pleasingly diverse. Their adventures through history are cool to watch.

Hawkmumbler

MEMORIA

Apichatpong Weerasethakul is a strong contender for my favourite living director working in the industry today, so it comes as little surprise his dreamy musings on the death of nature as a slow, drawn out rattle, versus the death of humanity as an explosive whimper (the image of boreholes as a form of trepanation on a cosmic level is inspired) is so wonderfully mesmeric. Actually unfair a movie this perfect drops mere weeks into the year, nothing else stands a chance.

Colin YNWA

Royal Tenenbaums

In my head Royal Tenenbaums is the best known of Wes Andersons films. I think (??) it was the first I saw and for that I'm really grateful as its lead me to a lot of films I really love. It is however also one I don't return to so much. I've always had it on DVD but its never the one my hand used to land on. I'm really glad I've watched it again now... but don't see myself rushing back.

Its likes its sooo Anderson. Like Anderson distilled to its essense. Yet in being that it loses some indefinable Anderson quality that robs it of something... oh what poppycock... I don't know I just don't like it as much as my favourites.

Funt Solo

I find that one far too bleak. It's clever, but it's beige.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++