Main Menu

Star Wars Episode 7 and Disney buy Lucas Film

Started by willthemightyW, 30 October, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Way hey I can add something positive to the discussion. I thought Kylo's ship looked cool.

Goaty

James Stacey

You know that bit where [spoiler]they hide Luke from his father by leaving him with his uncle and not even changing his name![/spoiler] or [spoiler]when the death star apparently travels to the secret rebel base, I assume across space, but then has to take 10 mins to get around a planet to blow up the base (rather than just killing the planet too), thus giving the rebels time to organize a counter attack[/spoiler]. I just can't get past them  ;)

TordelBack

Quote from: James Stacey on 23 December, 2015, 09:58:11 AM
Quote from: Tordelback on 23 December, 2015, 09:48:04 AM
At the same time something is missing, maybe an eye for selecting simple evocative designs (are there any cool new spaceships in this film, other tha Ren's rather derivative shuttle?),
Not sure that's true, there is Reys Speeder, the new snowspeeder, troop carriers and a very cool new star destroyer design. Even the most minor ships in the original trilogy are so familiar having been merchandised for 30 years you instantly recognize even the fleeting glimpse you get of some of them on screen. Simple evocotive designs were done well in the prequels .. didnt stop them being gash :)

I'm not sure slightly different versions of Lucas' iconic Star Destroyers, X-Wings and TIEs count at all, [spoiler]the snowspeeder doesn't really appear, and I find the landing craft, Han's freighter and Leia's B-Wing Mk2 profoundly dull - Rey's speeder (which is just Luke's speeder on its side) and the unused Quad-jumper just make the grade, [/spoiler]and despite being a variant on the Tyderium, the giant bat vibe of Kylo's shuttle is the only really impressive design.

Proudhuff

Well Tordelback, do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?  :-X
DDT did a job on me

ThryllSeekyr

I saw it tonight, but miss-timed my visit to the toilet, [spoiler](Should have asked the one of female ticket sales attendants to help me out with that!) because I still saw the whole scene there thinking why couldn't Chewie &/or the others intervene instead of appearing to just be spectators and whilst I was walking home alone in the rain. I cottoned on to the fact the what was happening between the two characters was some kind reconciliation and then it happens. Still, a over 800 year old Wookie, or those two potentialJedi might have had a bad felling about what was happening and there are other circumstances I might have missed.

I literally did miss a small of chunk of this film whilst at the toilet...the part after they have landed the M.Falcon (That comment about doing the Kessel run in less than or just on 14 parsecs (Yeah, I knew it was twelve like it was somebodies age.) on that forest world when Rey (I wonder if her name and Finn  meant to be joint together. Lime Finn-Rey or Finray?) was alone in the woods with the little robot (Interest in this little one will last along as the gimmick of  a robot that can move the way it does!)

When I got back I saw that Han and Chewie were walking through the ruins of a recently destroyed base before some of that stuff happened again, by the looks.

Now I like Finn, and thought he was not so much spoke-man for his minority than I was thinking before I saw this and just man doing what he felt was the right thing to do. Like when he assisted the hot - shot - pilot. Who I think was called Po and my original guess at Han and Leia's, (I wonder if Leia took the last name Solo or maybe they don't do that in a galaxy that far way and long time ago!) off-spring. Pity he died or appear to have done so. I think might have last longer if he did.

I like Rey, but also found something unsettling about her (Even though still also find her attractive!) might ever see beyond her character and as someone to squeeze in the name of squeezing. Yea, she was stand-offish even when Finn grabbed her hand and she relaxed enough to almost let him sweep her off her feet and she know how to handle that make-shift-quarter-staff. Don't know why she dropped it or did she? She don't need Luke's light-sabre. Right now, I'm not sure how she might otherwise be connected or related to any of the other or other older characters.

I'm not so sure about Po (As I think he was referred as!) and aside from some fancy flying (Not really fancy enough compared to some of the stuff I saw Rey and Han pull off in the M. Falcon. That thing she almost got the ship to hang or pause in the middle of a barrel roll. While  Finn successfully dispatched of  one bad ships....that's amazing stuff!)  Thought he was a gone after he and Finn crashed on Jakku. Don't really see how he could out of that ship's cockpit so fast or was in his own personal escape capsule? I didn't really hear everything he had to say about that one when they were reunited later on. I think that he might have been cloned and that he really did go down with that stolen ship.

BTW, what bumped into them. This was shown and perhaps for reason. if compare this film to the first one A New Hope, and now I'm wondering if Han was flying his old ship around at that time, even though we are lead to believe some where else after losing the M. Falcon at another earlier point in time. It's just a thought of my own that came to me while sitting here at the PC. You know how he did that to Vader at the end of New Hope, but your not shown what becomes of him until the next film.

I don't like the villain much at all. even in the way most people shouldn't like or admire a villain. yet, I never like the look that was supposed to almost mimic Vader's appearance. On further inspection, he's only wearing helmet with suit made from some course material that never looks so much as refined as Vader's uniform. I don't like it one bit that he ever removes his helmet or does it so early in a possible trilogy and the fact that I feel he seem more like a Star-Wars fan that was allowed to take part in the official franchise when he should have stayed in audience. He does ruin the film with his presence and to think that he's actually the son of Han and Leia[/b. Not convinced about that at all and yet, Han recognises the younger man or already knew who he was. Maybe, Luke trained him and that s why he isn't with them, because he might be seen as responsible for that happening. Maybe they don't get on with each other so much. I know I should have paid better attention to the detil s, but I was too dazzled by the special effects that played their part better in this film, not since the first trilogy before George Lucas started modelling with them and yet the effects are every bit as modern  as they were made when the meddling was first implemented.  It like J.J. Abrams knew what to give fans.

Well done one that! Yes, I find this movie every bit as good the first ones considering their effects are very dated now. There is also that warm fuzzy feeling I got from watching those films the first time as a kid and it's almost the same feeling now, except, I have a broader streak of being a little more world weary which adds tarnish to my innocence. It's always never going to be as good as it ever was.

That last scene , the very last scene seemed a little bit dragged out and I though they might have ended it before we got to have a glimpse of Luke standing in  a place that looks like one of those island north of Scotland or Island. It was very green and I thought I caught a glimpse of the ruins of Skara -Brae, but that just may be my a trick of the mind or my eyes deceiving me.

When she is holding out Luke's-Old-Light-Sabre to him as he turns around slowly and de-hoods from his cloak and we see that time as haven't been that cruel to him much at all considering it's passing. I thought they did some great work highlighting his better facial features. (As well with Han. Sadly, Leia seems does look like she had some work done that makes her harder to recognise and I only know it's really her because they say so. Fortunitely, her acting is still there to carry her. It does seem weird that both the guys were given more love in the make-up department and she might be working harder be her old self.

Anyway, I bet Luke might be speechless that this young upstart slip of a girl is handing his own ass back to him and knew where to find him and this is another element of the force as we don't see it, but How I think it works.  Kind of like a certain well known and favoured 2000AD barbarian demanding that a certain dwarf retrieve his certain axe and if it couldn't be proven that this dwarf and that girl Rey don't exist despite their efforts then that is awful long way for Luke to have summoned/retrieved his old light-sabre. [/spoiler]

I have more to share and in light of watching this film and imagining how much it could be altered in any way to be a film about Slaine set in and around the land of young and the four-El-Worlds. Like I did earlier last fortnight in this topic  this message board. I like to make some amendments there.

Hawkmumbler

[spoiler]Finn isn't a potential Jedi. He is not in anyway i tune with the force.[/spoiler]

Grugz

Quote from: James Stacey on 23 December, 2015, 01:22:19 PM
You know that bit where [spoiler]they hide Luke from his father by leaving him with his uncle and not even changing his name![/spoiler] or [spoiler]when the death star apparently travels to the secret rebel base, I assume across space, but then has to take 10 mins to get around a planet to blow up the base (rather than just killing the planet too), thus giving the rebels time to organize a counter attack[/spoiler]. I just can't get past them  ;)

and the bit were han and luke could fit all their normal clothes including boots beneath the stormtrooper armour
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 23 December, 2015, 02:09:55 PM
Well Tordelback, do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?  :-X

Hoping to go again tomorrow morning, as it happens!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Saw it and enjoyed it. Mostly because of all the call-backs and references that I got. Made me feel super smart.

Saw a 3D screening even though there are 2D too.
You may quote me on that.

Buttonman

I thought it was pretty good - a few more chances with the storyline would have helped as it looked like they chopped up the first three films and made this out of random pieces. Another [spoiler]Death Star[/spoiler][spoiler] in all but name - c'mon![/spoiler]

Spaceghost

I was just looking at this thread when my eleven year old son happened to look and see the massive posts dissecting every detail.

He pities you all. "Oh my God. These are all mega Star Wars nerds"

Just to reiterate, an eleven year old boy thinks you're all taking it too seriously.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

TordelBack

Dissect every detail?  At least three more viewings before that can even be attempted. This is first impressions territory we're in here.

sheridan

Quote from: James Stacey on 23 December, 2015, 09:58:11 AM
Not sure that's true, there is Reys Speeder
Rey's speeder?  Not sure if it's a classic design, though would make a good USB stick or lollipop:

As one of my favourite ships in all the films is the TIE Interceptor (specifically this model):

p.s. yup - I like the updated version of the Imperial Shuttle too (though not as much as the original).  Just to prove it's not all nostalgia here, I like the new colour-scheme on the X-wings more.

Professor Bear

I thought the prequels felt more like Star Wars movies than this did, which is quite a thing considering how much it recycles from the OT.
Best bit was [spoiler]when the cinema audience started laughing like drains when the Genesis Planet was disintegrating and the big crevice opened perfectly between Kylo and Ray and someone behind me said "Seriously?" [/spoiler] This, I think, is a paradigm for a great many of the film's flaws, particularly the use of coincidence to bridge scenes.  A lot of time was also dedicated to the emotional stuff, but none of it actually landed for me.  I suppose this was a weak point for the original movies, but then they traded in archetypes rather than nuanced characters, so you didn't feel they had to work quite so hard to get the point across.
Also: [spoiler]it's a fucking Death Star.  AGAIN.  All they do is make fucking Death Stars that the Rebels then blow up by deactivating the shields and then shooting the weak point and they wonder why they haven't conquered the galaxy yet?[/spoiler]

That all sounds very negative, but I did enjoy it, just in the same way I enjoyed the many Star Wars knock-off movies that came out in the 1980s like StarCrash, Battle Beyond the Stars, Space Raiders, etc.