Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Powered  through all of Young Justice. Not a bad replacement for the DCAU of old at all. Shame it was cancelled and nowt has replaced it really

SmallBlueThing

Rupaul's Drag Race, via Netflix.

Steamrollered through seasons five, four and one- now going through season two. Glorious.

SBT

Tiplodocus

Still continuing with MODERN FAMILY and CASTLE. Both on Season 2.

Modern Family continues to charm and delight and provide big laughs. 

Castle is even more formulaic than previously - not to say the individual stories don't have good twists etc. but it's all a bit predictable. Sadly, they've ditched the bit I liked most - the beutiful lit corpse at the start of the show. But in it's defence, it has had a great Firefly gag and Kate Beckett (Stana Katic) said she reads comics. A nice light nightcap of a programme.

Both shows also give me a feeling of "where have I seen them before?" about nearly every cast member - and, with the obvious exceptions of Nathan Fillion and Ed O'Neill, I can't work out where.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Off the top of me head, Beckett was the voice of Talia Al Ghul in the Arkham games, and was the lady at the end of Quantum of Solace that Bond told to leave the room.  Castle's mum was Greg's mum in Dharma and Greg, Castle's daughter does squeaky voices for one of those dreadful Disney cartoons about fairies with giant heads and very little clothing, the hispanic detective guy was in the Shield and Generation Kill, Captain MK1 did voice work on Gargoyles and Spawn, Captain MK2 was Sisko's missus in Deep Space 9, and Castle was in some shite space cowboy thing for nerds that didn't last a full season.  The murderers/suspects are 99 percent of the time played by actors from other tv shows that you will recognise, but probably not care enough to Google.

I like Castle and it really does stop trying in later seasons, but it still has its moments, like the shameless/pointless rip-off of Kirk's birth from the first Trek reboot movie that makes no sense at all, an episode with a time traveler, and a mystery at a sci-fi convention where the murder weapon is a phaser set to kill instead of stun, and which guest-stars lots of Trek alumni.  Also Mr Worf is Beckett's psychiatrist for some reason.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Professor Bear on 20 May, 2014, 01:58:38 PM
Captain MK2 was Sisko's missus in Deep Space 9

She was President Denis Haysbert's evil wife in 24, too...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Satanist

My missus loves Castel (the man and the show) but the only episode Ive seen was the Time travel one. Its the best bit of crap telly Ive seen in years.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Frank

Her name's Beverley, and she used to get Larry Sanders's ointment for him.

Tiplodocus

Well I could google it as well but where is the fun in that?

Pleasures our children will never know #247: Leaving the pub not knowing the answer to an argument.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Ghost MacRoth

Vikings

Violent, gritty, well shot, well acted, beautiful design, and most importantly characters that engage my interest (regarding their fate).  Done 2 seasons now, and impatient for more!!
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 May, 2014, 06:37:29 PM
Well I could google it as well but where is the fun in that?

Pleasures our children will never know #247: Leaving the pub not knowing the answer to an argument.

So true.  Since I got one of those newfangled smarties-phone things I now point-blank refuse to google things I should know/remember (as opposed to things I definitely don't know).   A day or two of racking my feeble brain has to be better than a few seconds of typing on that miniscule screen, surely?

Theblazeuk

Person of Interest - started off slow but I'm really enjoying the adventures of the Punisher and Oracle.

Hawkmumbler

Started on Kolchak The Night Stalker, which has quite the reputation to uphold.

Link Prime

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 22 May, 2014, 06:49:25 PM
Vikings

Violent, gritty, well shot, well acted, beautiful design, and most importantly characters that engage my interest (regarding their fate).  Done 2 seasons now, and impatient for more!!

I loved season 1.
RTE began broadcasting it a few months back, and after 3 episodes I ventured west to plunder the DVD instead of waiting.
Eagerly awaiting season 2, and beyond.
The historical events it's loosely based on promise much to come.

8-Ball

Parks And Recreation. I am in the middle of season five. I know people like 'em but I've have had my fill of those (now tedious) blood n' boobs cable shows where everyone acts like a dick to one another. I get enough of that in real life (more the dickishness and less the boobs or blood) so Parks & Rec is good solid escapism. :thumbsup:
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

I, Cosh

It's Buffy 5 round my manor. While there were certainly episodesof earlier series which I hadn't seen, this is getting into territory I know very little about. While it retains the same sense of fun and works hard to address the characters' changing situations, I've always thought the Buffy and Spike romance was a really stupid development and far too much time is spent building that up.

The good still far outweighs the bad.
We never really die.