Main Menu

What is a true fan? Or in other words, is PVS not a true fan?

Started by Thread Zero, 04 January, 2002, 09:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

Cos I am on a break from screenwriting duties for a day or two... I have been thinking!

What defines a true fan?

I only ask cos ole PVS here says he gave up for a while and constantly moans at 2k, even now.

I guess I have a bit too but it's not about me is it?

So PVS, are you a fan or not?

And if so, do you work in the hot summer nights? My flat is well warm then.

scojo needing medical help...

paulvonscott

I was a fan.  A very big fan.  A disturbed one too

I also want to be a fan again, I just have a feeling 2000AD has moved on without me.  

I'm still glad I gave 2000AD up for a few (7-9?)years.  I just couldn't take the rubbish they were printing anymore.

Still after a year or so of occasionally dipping in, I think I'll give it a proper go again.  Rebellion seem to be doing things that should have been done ten years ago, so bully for them.  The roleplaying games and movies in production are certainly exciting.

As for moaning, I have a ten year back log of moans building up within me, it's not healthy and it has to go somewhere.  

I think moans and criticism tend to fill sites like these because saying things are great all the time isn't very interesting.  Believe me I could go on for a lot longer on things I liked so just count yourself lucky :)

So, there is your answer: probably not, but I'd like to be again and hopefully this year.  Hence my miasmal lurking presence in the fan forum.  

I'm sure there are lots of people who don't think I'm a fan, but that doesn't bother me, I don't really want to get obsessive about it again.

korky

i have been a fan from issue one and i constantly fall in and out of love with both mags but never say die the furtures so bright we goto wear shades

Thread Zero

So you are a fan then?

So how cool are ya?

This fan joke is already wearing thin.

Scojo

paulvonscott

Perhaps a definition of a fan is someone who buys something regardless of quality or not.  That's not a dig, I bought it for several years when there was nothing but rubbish (for me) in 2000AD.  

I think the only reason 2000AD has survived is the Judge Dredd strip which is something of a constant, quality may wobble but generally it keeps on going.  I quit when Wagner quit 2000AD and that moronic troll Ennis took over.  If Judge Dredd hadn't gone weird I think, I'd still be there.

I'm quite glad I don't have to buy it regardless of whether there is anything in it for me or not any more.  I suspect there is quite a few 'floating voters' out there.  To a 'fan' that may seem a little disloyal but to anyone else that probably just looks reasonable. It's not normal to buy something you don't like.

As Pat Mills once said, 2000AD will always go through rough patches before it gets better again.  If you've collected 2000AD from prog 1, for 25 years, you probably aren't going to stop, I imagine it isn't really an option.

I've been buying 2000AD on and off (when ABC warriors and Nemesis were in, not the dodgy slaine) for a year or two now.  I'm hoping I'll end up buying it for most of this year, but if not (no stories I want to read) then, never mind.

McNulty

I think I consider myself a true fan, as opposed to fanatic. I get 2000ad and the Meg, as well as the specials and the annuals/yearbooks when they were about. I even dabbled in the spinoffs - Crisis, DC Dredd, even Judge Dredd-Lawman of the Future. This has led to a couple of things. First - reprints are wasted on me; there is little that's been printted that I've not already read (with the exception of thew Daily Star Dredds). Secondly, it's given me a good perspective on 2000ad. I always try to find what's good in 2000ad. Even in the direr years I could find something. That is not to say that I would slavishly compliment any 2000ad strip - my other threads testify to this, I'm just not someone who would knock something unless I believed it really warrented it. I suppose what I'm saying is that to be a fan of 2000ad, sometimes you have to give them the benefit of the doubt. I cannot really make my mind up about a new strip from reading one episode, and if a series has nothing for me, I have to accept that 2000ad was not printed for my benefit alone - it's for a wide and varied audience. If this attitude is what makes a fan - then that's me!

korky

I have a dredd tattoo or is that going to far, at least its not a captain klep one ( is that how you spell it?) anyway i like it and it hurt so i must be a true fan can anyone beat that???

Thread Zero

A true fan is one who goes on forever about these Dredd films!

Not me then.

scojo

O Lucky Stevie!

from my experience, a true fan 9of any kind) is somebody who wants to exist in an exclusive ghetto & not share the object of their devotion with common riff raff.

i've wet my knickers!

steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"