Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Wow, that's another real golden oldie!

Got Love Letter last week, great fast paced fun with 3+ but the 2 player option is so dull as to be worthless.

Keef Monkey

Have never done a board game kickstarter but backed this - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evildead2/evil-dead-2-the-official-board-game

- and the campaign seems to be going pretty good, really liking the look of it.

Worst case scenario the board game isn't a classic, but the words Evil Dead pretty much secured my purchase anyway if I'm honest.

Theblazeuk

I got Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill for my birthday.

My wife looks so excited by it. I'm intrigued but I remember what happens when we try to play Arkham Horror...

Satanist

Oh let me know how you get on with Betrayal at House on Haunted Hill as I've had my eye on it for ages but we mostly play with the kids so was unsure how they would get on with the rules.

Played Shadows over Camelot a few times without a traitor just to get used to it and because I thought the kids would be a bit obvious. Added in traitor card and my eldest basically turned myself and the wife against each other before getting us all killed. I was actually quite proud of how sneaky he was  :lol:

I've also just backed my first kickstarter with the board game Massive Darkness

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/massive-darkness

It looks to me like a modern take on Heroquest except with a crazy amount of figures and you get to use the shadows to your advantage. Hope its good.

Though now I see that Evil Dead 2 one I worry for my wallet, Hnnngh! Can I call it my Xmas pressie?
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Satanist

The Mrs had her eye on Lords of Waterdeep for a good while now so I surprised her with it at pay day, I'm nice like that.

Set in the D&D realm you are all Lords vying for power and control of the city by buying buildings and sending folk off to complete quests, all while trying to ruin the other Lords plans.

TBH I dont think we referred to the adventurers with their correct names once as they are represented by colour cubes. So instead of "I need 3 clerics and a wizard" you say I need "3 purple and a white".

Despite that the game is very good and easy to pick up despite having lots and lots of pieces in the box. So good in fact I may suggest we play again tonight.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Satanist on 28 July, 2016, 01:51:55 PM
"I need 3 clerics and a wizard"

Actually that would be a fun party. 3 life supports to the glass cannon.

Keef Monkey

I keep saying I'm going to stop buying board games, but they keep pulling me back in - http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/28/12315150/doom-the-board-game

I, Cosh

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 29 July, 2016, 02:14:57 PM
I keep saying I'm going to stop buying board games, but they keep pulling me back in - http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/28/12315150/doom-the-board-game
BFG = Board Fucking Game!
We never really die.

Satanist

Hmm looks a bit similar to Space Hulk for my money but then again DOOM!

Oh and I won at Lords of Waterdeep last night just pipping my eldest at the end by one victory point. Not just because I won I now declare this game as fantastic.

I, Cosh

Played a couple of fun ones last weekend.

Caminos, which is basically real life Tetris. You play two vs two and try to make a line across the board in your colour. Quick, frustrating and fun. Particularly when your opponents have all the three-dimensional spatial awareness of Khan Nunian Singh.

Brändi Dog has the basic setup of something like Ludo. The idea is simply to travel around the board and get all your little marbles into your house. Again, it's partly co-operative. You play two vs two and draw cards to move. It quickly becomes a bit strategic as the game is only over when one pair of players have finished. Enormously satisfying when you manage to screw over your hapless opponents.
We never really die.

futureimperfect

Just saw a play through on YouTube of the Thunderbirds Co-op board game!

Can't wait til Christmas day now :D

Pyroxian

Quote from: Satanist on 29 July, 2016, 02:59:50 PM
Hmm looks a bit similar to Space Hulk for my money but then again DOOM!

From what I recall, it's more like Descent / Imperial Assault. Was good fun when I played it though.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Any suggestions for an 11 and 9 year old?
Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

Forbidden Island! And I say this with the authority of one who just spent a chunk of a wet Bank Holiday Monday in a caravan playing it with a 9 and 10 year old. They got seriously into it, wailing every time the waters rose, crying to the heavens as each critical location was submerged, and scheming incessantly how to get from A to B. It was a blast, even if no-one was old enough to appreciate my 'get to da choppa' bon mots.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Sold! Forbidden Island and the latest Talisman expansion, Cataclysm, have stolen away £50 of my groats.
Lock up your spoons!