Main Menu

Thought Bubble 2016 5-6/11/16

Started by Bhuna, 29 February, 2016, 12:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

Proudhuff

Great day yesterday, things bought  art ordered: Ian Kennedy!  talk talked, Stronty film watched Yeah! and beer drunk...
More please....
DDT did a job on me

Spikes

Quote from: Dandontdare on 04 November, 2016, 04:33:14 PM
Spikes - if those are Holiday Inn pints, I hope you took out a second mortgage before arriving!

They was, and no I hadn't. We had a couple there, and then moved on,  ;)

But a cracking 2 days. Met up with forumites that I knew already, and met some more for the first time. A good crowd.

And plenty of droids in attendance on the Saturday.
Got signatures galore, grabbed a few sketches (my own Project Sketchbook has now taken off...), bought some original art, and had a few more beers. Heaven  :thumbsup:

Highlights? Quite a few, but meeting 2000AD/British comics legend Ian Kennedy was pretty darn special.

I'll echo the call for more of this, please.
(Though I did hear I may well be at a different venue next year??)

Steve Green

Back home, good but knackering.

Talk of a shift to a location in central Leeds next year, as well as moving dates forward again.

Great to catch up with people, mostly in the evenings as we were stuck at the tables for a lot of the time.

Old Tankie

Just had a bell from JDH, he said he'd had a brilliant time.  He's now going for a long lay down!!  Did loads of sketches and met some lovely people.  Good night in the pub, led astray by Pete Wells and Commando Forces, amongst others!

COMMANDO FORCES

I had confirmation that the event is staying at the location. When Dale was being banned from the convention, I managed to ask the person in charge and he said the location was secure.
I'm happy now, as I was a wee bit worried when I was told about the possible move.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 06 November, 2016, 10:37:43 PM
I had confirmation that the event is staying at the location. When Dale was being banned from the convention, I managed to ask the person in charge and he said the location was secure.
I'm happy now, as I was a wee bit worried when I was told about the possible move.

Huh, thats a tad odd, meeting Dale for the first time he'a clearly an amicable guy and (despite some creative disagreements) liked him very much but this seem's strange. How can someone be banned from a convention?

Anyway, that was a steller weekend, absolutely loved every moment. It was great to see so many faces again, Burdis, Pete, DDD, Fungus, CFM (and Jazz) and Bolt, as well as meeting mini-Bolt-1 again and mini-Bolt-2 is equally lovely. Oh, and Proudhuff, what an absolute gent!

And so many great comics! You've all clearly poured your heart into the products, can't wait to devour them all!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 November, 2016, 10:52:34 PM
Huh, thats a tad odd, meeting Dale for the first time he'a clearly an amicable guy and (despite some creative disagreements) liked him very much but this seem's strange. How can someone be banned from a convention?

I understand that he was already banned due to previous behaviour, and was removed from the premises this time because of that. From personal experience, I can say that having a disagreement with Dale can land you on the receiving end of behaviour that is anything but amicable.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 November, 2016, 10:52:34 PM
Huh, thats a tad odd, meeting Dale for the first time he'a clearly an amicable guy

The several droids he's threatened might disagree with you there, I imagine.

QuoteHow can someone be banned from a convention?

By threatening people with physical violence, for starters.

Hawkmumbler

Well that was all before my time, so I'll stay out of it.

Bat King

I had a great time and it has helped ease the pain of missing this year's Lawgiver (for anyone that doesn't know I run Panels there and help out with 'stuff' through the c day).

Loved seeing lots of you there.  Always a great time chatting in the pub and passing time of day as we bump in to each other around the venue.

The Search Destroy film was brilliant. Better still as I was sat next to John Wagner on Saturday and got to hear his first impressions throughout, all positive by the way.

I plan to do a writeup and a Spoiler Free review of Search Destroy to kick-start writing on my Blog again.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Dandontdare

Had a splendid day on Saturday. Caught up with some old faces, kept my comic-spending under control for a change, added a  couple of autographs to my Big Book of Droids, drank much beer and got to see the Strontium Dog film in good company.

Oddest thing was discovering that me and Proudhuff may have been on the same anti-NF demo in Dundee in the late 80s!

Bolt-01

Well, that was a cracking weekend.

Met far too many boarders to list, but it was espeiclally nice to catch up with Proudhuff after a long time and spent most of Saturday in the company of the mighty LARF and equally wonderful Dunk!

I had a table visit from John W, who tells me he's using part of my comments on Rok of the Reds on his publicity (that brought a warm glow to my cold heart) and he;d sold out of the copies of Rok #4 he'd got with him. I also got to meet the good lady W, which was a treat and I hope she enjoyed the rest of her weekend.

Caught up briefly with our very own Uncle Fester (Conor Boyle) and congratulated him on his Hookjaw work. Cant wait for that.

Search & Destroy was a total triumph. The version we saw was not 'quite' the final version, as this one didn't have enough Kid Knee in it. I've already begun planning my pitch to Steve for the Kid Knee solo film- tentatively titled 'The Full Kid-knee!'

The other thing I'll take away from Search & destroy is the concept of 'casual Viking' I'll let wiser heads than mine elaborate on that.

The Saturday night was a delight, spent in grand company and talking all kinds of rubbish till far too late o'clock.

Sunday was much busier than I expected, so i didn't get much time away from the table, but overall I have to remind everyone that Thought Bubble is the best gig in the country. Hands down.

Eamonn Clarke

The best thing I saw at TB was the Strontium Dog "Search Destroy" fan fillum. Felt very privileged to be at the private screening with John Wagner.

The best thing I heard at TB was John in his conversation with Molch-R saying that he had found retirement boring and was planning to carry on writing instead.

And the best thing overall was meeting so many splendid people. Comics really are fun, and it is a very comics show. I'm told it is moving to September next year which might be a bit too close to the august LSCC but we shall see.

Roll on the 40th!

Hawkmumbler

Oh, did I mention the Wagner panel? Involving possibly the funniest misinterpretation of a script by and artist i've ever heard. Early 2000AD was as much an editorial omnishambles as a joy, apparently. :lol: