Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidbishop

Quote from: Hackenbush on 03 October, 2020, 03:20:06 AM
Grant Morrison told me at a convention that Mark Millar sued 2000Ad over continuing Canon Fodder with another writer. Maybe some of the Millar stories not being reprinted is partly due to that.

'Sued 2000AD' isn't quite accurate, Millar sent the comic a lawyer's letter complaining about Canon Fodder being handed to a new writer, claiming the character was entirely his own creation. He seemed to have forgotten that Chris Weston co-created the series! Not to mention the irony of Millar complaining about being usurped on a strip, having happily other writers' 2000AD series.

IIRC, an agreement was reached confirming all rights in Big Dave belonged to the creators of that series, while the rights to all other Millar scripted series were assigned to 2000AD - including Maniac 5.

It's in Chapter 12 of TPO, btw.

broodblik

Unfortunately all of Millar's creations for the prog was not very memorable. So if he kept the rights for Cannon fodder, I cannot see that as too big off a lost. It is not like that prog is overflowing with his creations.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Monarch

I mean if we lost canon fodder before the kek-w series i would say its not a loss but with that one....

Michael Knight

If the Mighty Green One is reading this, please may this humble Earthlet add a further vote for Brigand Doom being collected in the extension.

don wiskerando

What about Stainless Steel Rat and The V.Cs?   I have fond memories of both but I haven't read either for at least a couple of decades.

Actually SSR would probably, need permission from the estate of Harry Harrison.  I might just reread the books.

Blue Cactus

Another vote for Revere here.

Also any themed collection that included Peter Milligan's Shadows please, I've never read it. Or just stick it in a Megazine floppy.

Just ordered Firekind from Forbidden Planet. Even though the Extreme Edition version I have has such lovely big pages so I'll probably just read that one again. And I already have the Leatherjack collection. Hey ho! Hardcovers are nice.

IndigoPrime

Stainless Steel Rat would indeed need permission from the estate, which might make it unviable.

Link Prime

sintec

Don Wiskerando - V.Cs is already slated for two books in the first extension (which should be all of it). Last we heard they were going to be issues 91 and 100.

don wiskerando

Arkady

I'd love the complete Canon Fodder between hard covers, but I'm guessing it's not long enough. Man, some of the art on that blew my teenage mind.

leethomson

The first 80 issues contain practically nothing from the last 8 years, and very little from the 8 years before that. If the 39 issues yet to be announced only include strips from this millenium, I will be very happy.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Arkady on 05 October, 2020, 10:18:33 AMI'd love the complete Canon Fodder between hard covers, but I'm guessing it's not long enough. Man, some of the art on that blew my teenage mind.
90 strip pages, and so about half a book. Great art, as you say; I was... less convinced about the writing on re-reading it in the Megazine floppies some years back. (Good grief. I just did a quick calculation and there have been almost 140 floppies now.)

Hackenbush

Quote from: davidbishop on 03 October, 2020, 07:52:10 AM
IIRC, an agreement was reached confirming all rights in Big Dave belonged to the creators of that series, while the rights to all other Millar scripted series were assigned to 2000AD - including Maniac 5.

It's in Chapter 12 of TPO, btw.

Thanks - you would know far better than me recalling secondhand gossip. It's great to know that the strips are able to be re-printed. I will try to hunt down a copy if TPO at some point.

FWIW I do prize my Summer offensive issues, even if they include the worst dredd mega epic in history. Even Carlos art cant make Inferno feel like it fits into Dredd's world.

IndigoPrime

The Summer Offensive did at least shake things up. But it did it in a manner like shaking up a bottle of Cola, and when you remove the cap it explodes in your face, leaving you drenched in goo and feeling crap.