General Chat > Off Topic

It's a bit warm/ wet/ cold outside

(1/162) > >>

The Enigmatic Dr X:
Climate change. What's to be done?

Read an article this morning saying that we are on track for a 3 degree increase by the end of the century if carbon emissions do not peak in 2020 and fall by 2030. It also says we have 18 months to do something about it (ie the end of 2020) because any relevant plan will take 10 years to implement.

Otherwise, 25% of species face extinction and the eco-system is fecked.

I don't think anyone disputes that. Action needs taken. But what?

The real issue for me is that the silent majority are too self-centred and short-termist. I am not sure I care (I know I should, I really do) about the extinction of beetles in Peru. And I think I am a fair-minded guy.

Thing is, it's not the end of the world. It's really not. What it is, though, is the end of a way of life.

Surely, the way to kick folk up the arse to do something is to point out the changes that they will need to make, and how much worse things will be the longer we take to do anything meaninful?

Focus not on extinction (which is bad, but which most folk I talk to just don't get moved by). Focus on the price of prosecco, the loss of bananas, the inability to fly to Marbs, the hike in clothing prices as cotton becomes more expensive, migrants fleeing their new-desert homes, the cost/ lack of fuel. Make it relevant to the masses.

IAMTHESYSTEM:
There is a limited ability of humans to react to the impact of climate change. It would take an international effort unparalleled in human history to achieve a reduction in C02 outputs. Unfortunately, when co-operation is paramount, the rising sea levels will lead to an upsurge in prices for essential services like food. Combine that with refugees all looking to escape from countries affected by climate change, and you've got the exact opposite of what you need. A 'look after your own' idealism will arrive, and we see the first outposts in this coming attitude in Brexit and Trump's successful election. You can see the logic, therefore, why many of these 'Alter's' refute any action to stop or mitigate global warming. It's the gift that keeps on giving. As condition worsen producing ever-increasing numbers of refugees, you can use that to compound your grip on society. Fear of the unwashed hordes surging across poorly maintained borders strengthens your hand. Since these Alters are opportunistic, they need the right circumstances to establish and sustain themselves, and Climate change is that chance.

CalHab:
The "Tragedy of the commons" effect also means that whenever we propose doing anything at home, someone will always pipe up "but what's the point when USA/China/Everyone else isn't doing that". It's a poisonous mindset that seeks to prevent anyone taking action.

The Legendary Shark:

I don't think climate change can be stopped - the climate has been changing for billions of years and will continue to do so for billions more. The best we can do is mitigate by cutting down on pollution, building sea defences, building new settlements or planting forests where the glaciers used to be, building new fresh water reservoirs (in abandoned coal mines etc?) and such things.

Carbon tax is not the answer, or at least only a miniscule part of the answer. We have to adapt to the planet because we can't adapt the planet to us. Climate change is not a disaster, it's an opportunity.

Hawkmumbler:

--- Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 July, 2019, 11:46:24 AM ---
I don't think climate change can be stopped - the climate has been changing for billions of years and will continue to do so for billions more.

--- End quote ---

I don't believe the sentiment 'climate change is bad' has ever been the case, except when simplified for kiddies obviously, but instead 'climate change at the rate of visible degrees within years, not centuries, in bad and we're causing it'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version