Main Menu

The 77

Started by JimmyNailz, 28 July, 2020, 05:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyNailz

Apologies if there is a discussion for this elsewhere but I couldn't seem to find one.

Has anyone else read The 77, the "new retro anthology" that recently came to life due to a successful Kickstarter. I bought a copy last week and overall really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Toxic! more than 2000AD and, with all anthologies, was a bit of a mixed bag in places, but there is a lot to enjoy and look forward to more of.

Highlights for me were:

Temporal Anarchy "Punk In Drublic" - a Futureshock with a punk rock twist hosted by a literal cyber-punk named Philthy Luca, which tells the tale of punk band and a magical safety pin. A fun story with fantrastic art. Great gross-out stuff.

V - a futuresport battle arena sees forced combatants need 5 victories to gain their freedom. Great excuse for a big scrap, but still manages to  weave a complete story. Great art too.  I hope future issues are more one-and done battles like this.

Division '77 - looks to be great future-war story in the Rogue Trooper vain.I'm well up for more of this.

The Screaming Hand - A man is protected/cursed by the phantom of a screaming hand. This is fantastic and I am eager for more. MORE!

Angel - I loved the art in this even if the story itself doesn't entirely satisfy, though I get the impression it's chapter one of an opus.

Overall, a great read and well done to everyone who made it happen. Roll on issue 2.

Dandontdare

I have this on order after hearing a plug on Spacespinner2000 - I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Bolt-01

There are a fair few of the creators who either post here or did in times past.

I'll declare up-front that I've lettered some of it, and also some strips for the second issue as well.

I think if it finds its feet properly and settles into a nice balance of serials and solo strips it could be a nice addition to the range of comics out there. There is an awful lot to like in there and it wears its 2000 AD influences very much out in the open.

Link to let you buy a copy

Sinx

Quote from: JimmyNailz on 28 July, 2020, 05:53:00 PM
Apologies if there is a discussion for this elsewhere but I couldn't seem to find one.

Has anyone else read The 77, the "new retro anthology" that recently came to life due to a successful Kickstarter. I bought a copy last week and overall really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Toxic! more than 2000AD and, with all anthologies, was a bit of a mixed bag in places, but there is a lot to enjoy and look forward to more of.

Highlights for me were:

Temporal Anarchy "Punk In Drublic" - a Futureshock with a punk rock twist hosted by a literal cyber-punk named Philthy Luca, which tells the tale of punk band and a magical safety pin. A fun story with fantrastic art. Great gross-out stuff.

V - a futuresport battle arena sees forced combatants need 5 victories to gain their freedom. Great excuse for a big scrap, but still manages to  weave a complete story. Great art too.  I hope future issues are more one-and done battles like this.

Division '77 - looks to be great future-war story in the Rogue Trooper vain.I'm well up for more of this.

The Screaming Hand - A man is protected/cursed by the phantom of a screaming hand. This is fantastic and I am eager for more. MORE!

Angel - I loved the art in this even if the story itself doesn't entirely satisfy, though I get the impression it's chapter one of an opus.

Overall, a great read and well done to everyone who made it happen. Roll on issue 2.

Really glad you enjoyed issue one of The77.

I drew Division 77 so here's a sneak peek of all the pages of the next episode artfully arranged so as not to give too much away :)

It'll be coloured by Darren Stephens and lettered by Bolt-01!

Thanks again - we couldn't have done it without the support of the backers

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Well, I've finally gotten it together to order #1 and so am hoping it'll turn up before the weekend. Looking forward to this greatly.

SBT

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

MacabreMagpie

With just two days to go on the 77 kickstarter, you can now select just the comic with my alternative cover as a pledge option (or opt for just the comic with Ade Hughes brilliant main cover if that's more your bag).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/the77comic/the77-issue-3

AlexF

I finally got hold of the first two issues and I will say that it has absolutely cracking artwork! Nice to see it on big pages, too.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Yep the first two issues were very impressive. By #2 a lot of the content had settled in and I now look forward to #3 immensely. I dont have the means to buy every worthwhile new fan-created mag that pops up these days- which is very sad for me, but indicative of a healthy scene I reckon.

SBT

Bolt-01

I've just had my contrib copies of the '77 issue 03 arrive and it is another cracking read. The team have set themselves a mammoth task of being bi-monthly, so all the best to 'em.

If any squaxx out the want to take a punt of the first three issues - PM me and we can discuss details.

flip-r mk2

Ban This Filth, bukkake graphicly depicted in issue three of The 77 (the previous statement may be slightly misleading) 😜

filippo
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

broodblik

I see that you can now get The 77 digitally. Is it worthwhile since I am thinking of getting the bundle of the first 4 issues?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bad City Blue

Quote from: broodblik on 06 May, 2021, 08:37:08 AM
I see that you can now get The 77 digitally. Is it worthwhile since I am thinking of getting the bundle of the first 4 issues?

It's a decent read, so if you can afford it go for it!

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there