Main Menu

The Great Dante Readthrough Podcast

Started by Simon Fraser, 26 February, 2021, 06:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Catching up on episodes today. Really enjoyed Episode 33. I love this story arc and it's got such a good ending... glad Simon and Edie also dug it. The best bit for me the little summing of Dante at the end and him being the anti-Dredd.

Interesting to hear Simon's comments on Lauren. I also find her a bit of a flat character. She's pretty kick-ass and loyal to Katarina but that's about it. I also think her design is a bit flat - love Burns but if the design is 'badass sexy pirate lady' I am sure he could up with something a bit cooler.

The start and end music still terrifies my cat!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Barrington Boots

Also done episode 34 so that's three in one day. Really enjoyed this episode too, Simon sounds so enthused about his artwork and its great to hear his insight. The way he conveys the more subtle parts of characters emotions via facial expressions are fantastic. So good. Really getting a lot out of these.

The Tsar is ice cold in this episode. On the flip, the panel with the door laser slicing the guy up is my least favourite panel in the whole of Dante. I think its the woman crying out that really does it. So needlessly cruel.

Nothing to do with Dante, but the Evil Dead chat reminded me that I've just seen The Elvis Dead by Rob Kemp and if anyone likes Evil Dead and / or Elvis they should go see it.

JayzusB.Christ

If I'M not too late to ask a question, I was wondering if Simon and Robbie were ever censored by Tharg? Some of the Dante content was very racy for the prog of the time.  Thanks, Edie and Simon, it's been a blast so far!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 May, 2023, 06:09:56 PMif Simon and Robbie were ever censored by Tharg?

I'm not sure that Tharg actually reads the content prior to publication. I'm not being snide - it just seems like the editorial back-and-forth that existed in the early days of the comic just isn't part of the modern business model.

*ready to be corrected* [said the actress to the bishop]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Illyana

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 May, 2023, 06:09:56 PMIf I'M not too late to ask a question,

Nope! I can bend the deadline to tomorrow afternoon at least.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Illyana on 12 May, 2023, 10:22:44 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 May, 2023, 06:09:56 PMIf I'M not too late to ask a question,

Nope! I can bend the deadline to tomorrow afternoon at least.

Thanks, Edie!
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Illyana

Hello Irregulars! You might have noticed we went quiet for a bit here. Your Annie Parkhouse interview is coming in the next day or so. I would say it's been a challenging time over here at Castle Frugent, but I'd feel like a broken record. Hope you're all keeping well ❤️

JayzusB.Christ

Colin YNWA

Hope things are as okay as possible and things get less challenging soon.

Look forward to hearing the interview with Annie whenever it lands.

Funt Solo

Hope things aren't *too* challenging. All the best.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Illyana

Barrington Boots

I'm re-reading Usurper because I love pirates. The designs of two of the four captains are brilliant from Jack D'arcy's magnificent costume to the voodoo guy in his battle shorts... but the actual fight is a bit of a mess. What would Scarlett have done if, say, Sharko had busted in whilst she was lounging about in her sexy robe instead of Dante? We probably don't want to think about this too much although it's a moot point as Sharko immediately just jumps into the water in just his underpants instead of actually joining the fight properly.

Anyway, this was a lovely episode to keep me company at work on a warm afternoon. Having heard about Annie's favourite character, Edie, who is your favourite character? How about Simon?

Very much hope you guys can make a con over here at some point.

Illyana

Hello Irregulars! It's so good to say that! SEASON 3 has finally begun!

You can visit SimonFraser.net download the episode directly to your device, links to Apple and Spotify below:

Spotify Podcasts
Apple Podcasts

Colin YNWA

Way and indeed hey.

That is fantastic news. Hope you've all been keepin' shiny and wonderful!

Colin YNWA

Well as luck would have it I had an evening of chorin' so had time to listen to the return tonight and wow its great to have you back and on such fine form.

Thanks for answering the questions from last time. As it happens I'm currently pestering this board with my 'Completely self absorbed Top 100 comic runs you need to read' a list that has at this point 137 runs, series, comics in it - ahem. Now its a countdown and after having completed my latest re-read - yep I did a complete Dante re-read since while you were on a break! - I can confirm that you'll likely be done before I get to Dante in the list BUT atno.99 is Elektra Assassin(assuming you are including that when you say Elektra Saga?).

But just so you know I'm not just 'blowin' smoke up your ass' I also write posts about stuff I'm not as big a fan as many and in a week or three (soonish anyway) I'll be talking about Uncanny X-Men in that context - yike!

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=49476.msg1111789#msg1111789