Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2022

Started by Dash Decent, 20 July, 2021, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Corinthian

It doesn't feel much like a Regened story. For better or worse the new and one-off strips that have appeared in Regened issues have tended to be much brasher and high concept, pushing a "this is our cool gimmick, cool isn't it?" in our faces. Space travelling bounty hunter family accidentally restarts ancient galactic war? Cool! Mary Poppins as an amoral high-tech kleptomaniac? Cool! All the plant life on Earth has turned against the human race? Cool!

But what is it about Skip Tracer that's cool? I find it hard even to find the words to sum up a strip that seems so fundamentally generic. The only distinct detail I can remember from it is that it's set in a cube-shaped city and that's entirely irrelevant to anything we've seen unfold in the stories.

It may be a story that's straightforward and easy for kids to read, but it's doing nothing to grab their attention. And it's not doing it for adults either.

broodblik

2000 AD Sci Fi Special 2022:

This year's 2000 AD summer special has a musical theme as the Galaxy's Greatest Comic continues to celebrate 45 Revolutions Per Minute with Comic Rock! Each story has been inspired by a favorite song, as Paul Cornell and Emma Vieceli tackle Psi-Judge Anderson, Mike Carroll takes on Judge Dredd, Kek-W writes Judge Death, Karl Stock scripts Fiends of the Eastern Front, and lots more!

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Absolutely lovin' that cover - what fun!

IndigoPrime

Great cover. I just hope the number of strips as songs is kept to a minimum. As someone who actually writes songs, that kind of strip too often feels off to me and only very rarely works.

norton canes

Sounds great. As long as none of the songs are by The Beatles.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Max Headroom

When is this Sci-Fi Special released?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 24 April, 2022, 02:17:50 PM
skip tracer by sonic youth?

Scooter and Jinx by Sonic Youth.

That James Peaty sure likes his Sonic Youth so he's not all bad.

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 April, 2022, 09:22:56 AM
Great cover. I just hope the number of strips as songs is kept to a minimum. As someone who actually writes songs, that kind of strip too often feels off to me and only very rarely works.
Agreed. Wagner and Grant seemed fond of these when they were writing together, but I was never a fan. Hopefully, it will be more like the original Comic Rock, where Nemesis the Warlock was supposedly inspired by Going Underground. If you say so....
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 24 April, 2022, 02:37:09 PM
That James Peaty sure likes his Sonic Youth ...
And the bad guys in the current series of
Diamond Dogs are the Silver Apples.
Basically, every Peaty and Kek-W script is anyway s Comic Rock one.
We never really die.

Leigh S

Ihave to say I find the use of band or song names in literature a bit of an off putting choice - it feels like the writer is either trying to get you on board because you like the same music / get the reference, or just an exercise in muso - like naming your child after an obscure musician so other parents who "get it" will nod approvingly

M.I.K.

Quote from: Leigh S on 24 April, 2022, 09:30:28 PM
Ihave to say I find the use of band or song names in literature a bit of an off putting choice - it feels like the writer is either trying to get you on board because you like the same music / get the reference, or just an exercise in muso - like naming your child after an obscure musician so other parents who "get it" will nod approvingly

Yep. Who would do a daft thing like that?

sheridan

Quote from: M.I.K. on 25 April, 2022, 12:37:27 AM
Quote from: Leigh S on 24 April, 2022, 09:30:28 PM

Yep. Who would do a daft thing like that?

Search me!

nxylas

On the whole, I'd rather have song references than movie or TV references. Generally, they're just amusing little in-jokes that wash over you if you're not in the know. Whereas references to other narrative fiction are far more likely to cross the line from homage to plagiarism.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!