Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Harmony vs Chronos Carnival - Round 1 Heat 23

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 November, 2021, 06:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Into the third week now and we're well into the swing of things and we've really been testing those thrill-banks so far and exposing thrills that aren't very fondly remembered and so folks are struggling to recall. This week will be no different, there will be thrills here that are pretty damned decent and some that will have folks wondering why they've never read them... and in some cases that won't be a bad thing!

For me these two thrills are defined by some great art... and well stories that deserve less positive adjectives, but my option doesn't matter, the only thing that does is...

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Harmony - more info

Vs.

Chronos Carnival - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 14th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

abelardsnazz

Harmony started off well but then ran out of steam. Can't remember much about CC, but it had Ron.

Chronos Carnival.

IndigoPrime

Barrington Boots

I recently reread Chronos Carnival and it really is mostly terrible, but it does have Ron art and it's still the best of these choices.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

AlexF

Oh man, what a choice! Chronos Carnival is 2000AD Regened 20 years too early. I hate to be the naysayer here but I found Ron Smith's art a bad fit for the story, found it surprisingly hard to make sense of and I don't think he did the strip any favours with his designs for the two main humans, who were VERY bland. The dragon-alien was good though. Should have been a Belardinelli, he could have had loads of fun showing off weird aliens riding rollercoasters.

Harmony, on the other hand, made excellent use of Trevor Harisine and Steve Sampson and even Jim Murray, although it had far too much going on in the story and was tough to follow. Still, it had enough good ideas and gnarly situations that it's easily getting my vote today.

Harmony!

CalHab

I haven't read Harmony, so can't comment on it.

I would just like to state, for all those people who reckon the Prog is "terrible these days", that in this roundup of the complete history of 2000AD, it looks like Chronos Carnival will get through at least two rounds. This means that, statistically at least, it is a better than average story over the history of the prog.

Holy crap.

I'm confident that it wouldn't get anywhere near the prog these days.

Link Prime

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

chronos carnival for hilary

(and for ron, obviously, but definitely for hilary, too - in some ways this story was pretty groundbreaking).

Funt Solo

*Jaw hitting floor as people vote for Chronic Carnival*

Harmony - there's still time for a follow-up series.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Barrington Boots

Sorry Funt! I kinda know what you mean as Chronos Carnival is terrible, but Harmony is one of those strips that embodies the worst of 90s comics for me - it's trying so hard to be cool, yet it's completely boring and forgettable. At least I still remember Chronos and its derpy dragons.

I've not voted in all these opening round qualifiers as there's several where I'm not familiar enough with one of the contenders to make a good judgement, but a good number of them are which flavour of poor-to-bang-average do you prefer. It has inspired me to dig out a few older Progs for a read though!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quiet and close this one. So votes today, before I count up in the morning, will really make a difference. get um in.