Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Bogie Man vs. Necrophim Round 2 Heat 73

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 March, 2022, 06:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week 10 is quietly fascinating. No really BIG hitters, but some fascinating ties. What looks like some tough choices, some great stories, a local derby and a prime example of how a less thrill could just slip quietly through to later rounds by the luck of the draw. Good, interesting mixing coming this week.

We start off with a tie that I don't think will be as close as it should be in my head. I really like Necrophim and believe it really stands up well on re-read with its constant, constant twisting and turning, betrayals and back stabs, entirely fitting for its hellish setting. Bogie Man is a great creator owned story, but the question is will you be able to resist temptation and only consider the story that originated in the Prog, not the numerous others that pepper this thrills twisting journey through the other hellish landscape of the comics publishing market!

Bogie Man - more info

Vs

Necrophim - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Thursday March 24th  and the winner gets a place in Round 3 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

Magnetica

abelardsnazz

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

rogue69

IndigoPrime

Bogie Man. Necrophim had some good ideas, but it didn't land for me and the very grey art didn't help.

Dark Jimbo

Not so much a vote for Bogie Man (I struggled a bit with it), as it is a protest vote against the dire Necrophim.
@jamesfeistdraws

AlexF

I've definitely read the Bogie Man story that was in Toxic!, and the one that ran in the Megazine - don't know if I ever did read the original story (how many were there, even)?
Based purely on the final Megazine entry, the story is a decent comedy from Wagner but it doesn't light my world on fire.

The farcical nature of the story - everyone around him assuming he's one kind of person, when he's actually not - is entertaining, honestly more so than the endless back-stabbing based conversational plods of Necrophim.

BUT Necrophim is just a better thrill. The art is beyond gorgeous, and the setting / basic story idea is classic 2000AD, of the kind I don't know has ever been tried before or since (in the Prog), and that counts for a lot. I like most of the core cast of characters, too - just wish it had more action and less chat.

Anyway, Necrophim, comfortably.

Huey2

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

For me, The Bogie Man was one of the few weak links in Toxic, and I had forgotten it ever appeared in the Meg. Not my cup of tea at all I'm afraid. Necrophim was largely impenetrable, but did at least have that page with the dubious pig-shagging, which enlivened chat here on the Board for a while. So, Necrophim.

SBT

CalHab

Which Bogie Man was in the Meg? Did they reprint the original 1991 version?

Colin YNWA

Bogie Man
Return to Casablanca 7 episodes (Megs 227 to 233) 56 pages
Script: John Wagner and Alan Grant, Artist: Robin Smith, Letters: Robin Smith