Main Menu

Shakara this week. EH??

Started by Thread Zero, 24 January, 2002, 04:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thread Zero

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

Very odd.

Not good and very odd too.

A waste of 5 pages, not good and very odd too.

I mean do we care that some little nit thingy gets saved then blasted to death by Shakara's ship?

Worst 5 pages I have ever read in 2k. Nice art mind.

scojo with no crabs

Ducati

I haven't been out to buy my copy yet. Is anybody else reminded of revere (spelling's off, it was out in the '90s after all) or am I just confused?

Thread Zero

I remember Revere! John Smith and Simon Harrison art (I think). Now he was a muddy painter! Good but muddy.
The story was the usual mumbo jumbo by Smith but I liked it. I think the end had whales in it. Still I like the welsh! (Poor pun that) The tory was all about going back to nature. All that sort of hippy stuff.

Re Shakara. This week's part was one of the oddest 5 pages I have ever read in 2k.

I am still trying to fathom it out.
Can anyone actually explain it?

Robbie better start introducing a plot soon or old leather scissor hands is for the cut!

scojo the barber

Thread Zero

Tory going back to nature?

Best thing for the Conservative party I say!

scojo useless at the pc keys as usual...

Dominic O'Rourke

*shame* I was a big fan of revere, there I've said it now, I feel so much better!
Member No. 10

Ducati

I thought it was quite good but then again I kind of liked Trash erm just because the main character was called Trask which I thought was cool.

paulvonscott

Needless to say I went straight onto the internet to register my disgust on the message boards.

paulvonscott

No Dredd you can not kiss Hershey, not only does your legal code forbid you, but you have taken sex reducing drugs to prevent you from wanting to.

Oh no, I've wasted my life.

Mk13

>sex reducing drugs

What you mean the sort that shrivel your, erm...

paulvonscott

Ha, ha, well...

Not of course that I am an expert on Justice Department sex organs* but I would have guessed they take away the desire but leave it all working.  It must really help build up that aggression in a judge though.

I don't really want to go down this path (but of course I will) but I have the old Judge Dredd boardgame and Dredd (drawn by bolland) doesn't appear to have anything.  In the movie stallone had a gold cod piece didn't he?  I guess the problem with such a tight uniform is that you either have to cover it up or not show it at all.

If you ever read The kingdom of the blind, the Marshall Law strip by Pat Mills, The Batman parody takes his young wards (which he later uses for organ donation) from the orphanage where they give them 'shrink em' and extra starch the sheets to prevent any impure thoughts.  Pat Mills was probably just the right side of obscenity there.  Just.

Dredd of course needs nothing like that, as of course he always has an iron will anyway.

Ha, ha, oh I'm sorry about that one, and I dared complain about *

Must get back to those spaced episodes...

PVS

*R Morrison is the expert.

Anemic_Newt

Shakara backlash starts here - The story is interesting... honest. It has certainly given us on the board a lot to talk about. Some of us love it others don't. Bored already after just a few episodes?
No wonder 2k doesn't seem to have the nerve to run long epic stories for any character any more and not just Dredd. Epics of 25 episodes+ where there is the room for the writer to develop story lines like Strontium Dogs Bitch, Portrait of a Mutant, Rage etc, Dredd's Apocalypse War, Necropolis/Dead Man saga, Supersurf etc
At the moment the character does seem very one dimensional, but I think its the anticipation... the suggestion that there is a lot more to this character that makes it interesting. And in a run of issues where I have felt "seen that, read it before" to many stories in 2k (See this issues Dredd, and Future Shock) I don't recall a story like this - though my memory circuits may have been frazzled.
Give Shakara a chance - or as I still believe.. Give Mek Quake a chance. Characterisation will come I'm sure when given the time to develop. I do seem to recall that when Nikolai Dante first appeared it also polarised peoples opinions and the supporters were in the minority. Now it seems to have a very large following.
It certainly isn't a bad story or series... just think we coud have had another "Killer" (Eeek!)
Just remember Nemesis only said one word for his first episodes and didn't even appear in his own story at first and was very confucing to start with but then went on to being one of the all time greats.
Basically give it time. Don't rush to judge. I for one find it interesting.

There, that was a long winded way of saying I quite like it.

paulvonscott

Well, I was a big fan but this week was a right turn off due to the dubious sexual references.  

I am willing to see what happens. I'll give it a chance, but the vulgar comic interlude has really dampened my spirits.  I was a big fan too.  Still, I am holding my vote back, it may improve.  I'm also guessing that that wasn't a key episode either.

W. R. Logan

Shakara, absolutely love it. Henry Flint is a god and his artwork is too die for. Henry would be at the top of my fave artists list. Have admired his work since his earliest Rogue Trooper artwork through his Harry Heston work and his Dredd is the best of the recent new boys.

The trouble with the message board is that it gives a voice the the minority whilst ignoring the majority.

Henry rules!!!!!!

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/theclassof79" target="_blank">The Class Of '79

Sinister Vegas

I am a big Flint fan & think that the work he's done this week on Shakara is some of his best. I read & re-read this story it was that good. The little nit type creatures were funny but poignant & it was a clever take on the Shakara massacre theme. I cannot get enough of this story and in 25 years I've not said that too often.

fraston

i have to say, paul, that i am bemused as to why you don't like shakara. it avoids conventional plot patterns yes, but this is a trait of the more adventurous and acxiting comics...or do you disagree?