Main Menu

Hi from New Zealand

Started by oota goota, 03 April, 2014, 09:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oota goota

Hey all I used to read 2000ad as a kid back in the 80's and loved it!  Recently I've developed a semi-obsessive need to build the ABC warrior robot from the 1995 dredd film and this has led me here in search of references.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/abc-warrior-construction-thread-139611/

I think I stopped reading the comic around about 1990?  Have I missed much?

Frank

Quote from: oota goota on 03 April, 2014, 09:18:12 PM

Everything on this list after The Black Hole. The Hammerstein of the comics looks a little different from the robot in the 1995 film, so I'm not sure how much use anything we could turn up would be. Other than the Stallone Making Of ... book, which has a load of artists visuals, there was a feature in a 1995 issue of The Judge Dredd Megazine where Chris Cunningham talked about his process. The concept for the Stallone movie robot was designed by ABC Warriors artist Kev Walker, and he produced a few covers for the books he painted, Khronicles of Khaos and Hellbringer.

Welcome back, neebs - everybody loves a build thread, so keep us updated.

Andrew_J

Fantastic project. Looking forward to progress updates.
Might be easier to build Walter the Wobot though: some tinfoil, some cardboard boxes and an old telly should do it.

oota goota

Quote from: sauchie on 03 April, 2014, 09:46:30 PM
Quote from: oota goota on 03 April, 2014, 09:18:12 PM

Everything on this list after The Black Hole. The Hammerstein of the comics looks a little different from the robot in the 1995 film, so I'm not sure how much use anything we could turn up would be. Other than the Stallone Making Of ... book, which has a load of artists visuals, there was a feature in a 1995 issue of The Judge Dredd Megazine where Chris Cunningham talked about his process. The concept for the Stallone movie robot was designed by ABC Warriors artist Kev Walker, and he produced a few covers for the books he painted, Khronicles of Khaos and Hellbringer.

Welcome back, neebs - everybody loves a build thread, so keep us updated.

Cheers Sauchie! Yes you're right the robot in the films I think is meant to be a generic ABS robot (there are two in one of the scenes) and depending on what version of Hammerstein you're looking at there's quite a lot of differences.

I would like to track down the story where Hammerstein is in the dredd universe, not sure what prog that is.

I'll start a thread over here too. Progress has been painfully slow as I only work on it when I've got time
Cheers
oota

oota goota

Quote from: afjudge on 03 April, 2014, 10:24:14 PM
Fantastic project. Looking forward to progress updates.
Might be easier to build Walter the Wobot though: some tinfoil, some cardboard boxes and an old telly should do it.

thanks af I'll get right on that one after the ABC :)

Frank

Quote from: oota goota on 03 April, 2014, 10:33:08 PM
I would like to track down the story where Hammerstein is in the dredd universe, not sure what prog that is.

There was a tie-in story around the time of the movie, written by Pat Mills, which explained that the robot in the film was one of many left over from the wars which created the Cursed Earth (as seen in the story of the same name):

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=prog&page=profiles&choice=960

Frank

I should have added that Clint Langley is the artist most associated with the strip nowadays, and his incredibly detailed art really is something else:

http://www.2000ad.org/covers/2000ad/hires/1803.jpg

http://www.2000ad.org/covers/2000ad/hires/1807.jpg

I'll have a flick through the Making Of ... book and that Chris Cunningham feature tomorrow and see if there's anything which might prove useful to your endeavour.

oota goota

thank you Sauchie thanks for the great welcome to these boards!  I'll definitely have a look at that tie-in and see what the art is like on the robot.

I've read a few of the more recentish ABC collected comic, the art is beautiful, stunning!