Main Menu

Sorry to hear About Nigel Dobbyn RIP

Started by strontium pup, 30 August, 2019, 11:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Low

Truly sorry to read this. I loved his art and we should have had much more of it. So often he ended up illustrating stories I really liked, but which were never as popular as I think they should have been: Strontium Dogs, Medivac and Red Razors, and I seem to recall he drew one of the better Legends of the Law stories for DC's attempt at Dredd back in the 90s. It says something, though, that people still remember his art fondly, even if they didn't care so much for the writing.

So pleased 2000AD chose the page from How the Gronk Got His Heartses to illustrate the obituary. Thanks for remembering it.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Regards,

Robin

Heath C Ackley

"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Buttonman

Sorry to hear this. Always enjoyed Nigel's clean and distinctive line and 56 is way too soon. Rest easy Nigel, you will be remembered as long as thrill power prevails.

Greg M.

Quote from: Robin Low on 30 August, 2019, 08:07:07 PM
So pleased 2000AD chose the page from How the Gronk Got His Heartses to illustrate the obituary.

The original (from my collection):

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=668663

A sad loss at far too young an age. I'm lucky enough to own a few pieces of Nigel's work - it seems to me that, like Belardinelli, he had a particular strength in depicting the alien and unusual. A very under-rated artist - condolences to his friends and family.

paddykafka

It was awful to read of Nigel's passing. Always liked his versions of Feral and the Gronk in Strontium Dogs, in addition to Red Razors of course. RIP and condolences to his family, friends and colleagues.

Dark Jimbo

While many of you lot were lucky enough to grow up with Golden-era Tooth,  for me it was Sonic the Comic and the holy trinity of Elson, Dobbyn and Mcmahon - the Ezquerra, Bolland and, er, Mcmahon of that comic.

I tried hardest to be Richard Elson when I drew, but I spent longest studying Nigel Dobbyn's colour work - just staring for hours at his colours, drinking in his painted textures.  For whatever it's worth, with STC there was no 'wish he' d got more work/better strips'. He was an acknowledged fan-favourite and will be very much missed.

@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

Always really loved Nigel Dobbyn's art in the prog.  It brought Medivac 318 (one of my favorite thrills) to glorious life.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 September, 2019, 05:19:32 PM
Always really loved Nigel Dobbyn's art in the prog.  It brought Medivac 318 (one of my favorite thrills) to glorious life.

Yeah love Medivac - especially the first story. I'm very lucky to own one of my favourite sequences from this or any other 2000ad stories. The pacing is so strong, storytelling so clear and the atmosphere created carries the emotion. Just superb.

TordelBack

Wow Colin, that's an amazing thing to own, thanks for sharing. Likewise, it's one of my favourite comics sequences, and even leaving aside Nigel's art, it's a strong argument in favour of Robinson's undervalued 2000AD work.

Quick note of appreciation for design of the ambulances - at first deceptively simple and even old-fashioned, but actually completely practical and perfect for the story being told.

MumboJimbo

That's beautiful work. In hindsight I really feel Medivac 318 was an excellent attempt at re-positioning 2000 AD for a more mature audience. In my recent re-read it struck me how it was let down by being in the prog at a time when there wasn't much else going on. The 600s were a weird time of feast and famine when there were prog runs where all 5 strips were top notch, but between them fallow period of reprints, Daily Star strips and stuff like Dry Run. Sadly Medivac was often saddled with the latter.

Dobbyn's work on Medivac always served the story primarily, particular the emotional journey of its characters.

Bolt-01

Thanks for sharing, Colin. Those pages look great.

I narrowly missed out on a page of SD's by Nigel a few years ago at a gig. Wish I'd been quicker...

broodblik

Those pages looks great, thank you for sharing Colin
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

karlos

Those pages are beautiful, Colin.

Nothing much to add, really, except my condolences. 

Always liked Dobbyn's art - atmospheric and capable of showing real emotion.

Rest well, Nigel.