Main Menu

Sad News about John M Burns

Started by rogue69, 01 January, 2024, 10:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

Sorry to be the bringer of this sad news, but I just found out on Facebook that the great John M Burns had passed away on 29th December 2023 He passed away peacefully whilst in hospital after being ill for awhile

https://downthetubes.net/in-memoriam-comic-artist-john-m-burns/?fbclid=IwAR0OK3k4MSdxnTKbN0Xk2HzvLBx_mI3u-80lEJicPPsXtW1WoFa2imbAqJI

Anthony Garnon

Quote from: rogue69 on 01 January, 2024, 10:12:49 AMSorry to be the bringer of this sad news, but I just found out on Facebook that the great John M Burns had passed away on 29th December 2023 He passed away peacefully whilst in hospital after being ill for awhile

https://downthetubes.net/in-memoriam-comic-artist-john-m-burns/?fbclid=IwAR0OK3k4MSdxnTKbN0Xk2HzvLBx_mI3u-80lEJicPPsXtW1WoFa2imbAqJI

Devastating news. A re-read of Nikolai Dante in 2024 definitely now in order.

Tjm86

f***!  Unfortunately this is going to become a tad more common considering the pedigree of some of our favourite artists.  :(

An amazing talent and a gracious man.

IndigoPrime

Richard

Colin YNWA

Oh no that's devastating. The news that he'd only just retired to try to help with his health was bad enough but to here isn't not been able to enjoy a well earned retirement just breaks my heart.

Very few will leave a legacy of astonishing art and stroytelling the way John M Burn will. A truly fantastic talent. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones. Legend is used all too often these days but in this instance I believe is well and truly deserved.

This will make that final story by him coming out in 2024 all the more a testament to him. 

broodblik

I loved his work, he was fantastic. His painted-work was always something from above. We will miss you and thank you for all the joy you brought his with you paintbrush.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Very sad news. We were privileged to enjoy his work in 2000ad up to the very end.  His art alone could make a story unmissable, and I'll miss him loads.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

karlos

Running down the street as a little kid to collect my Eagle and see what was happening in The Fists of Danny Pyke, and making a note of the artist's name.

A name I've never forgot.

Thanks, Mr Burns.

paddykafka

Aye, a sad loss indeed. I will remember John most fondly in particular for his superlative work on Nikolai Dante. Farewell Mr Burns, thank you for so many great artistic memories and may you rest in peace.

Barrington Boots

Awful to read about this yesterday.

I don't think its hyperbole to say John was a titan of comic art - and the longer he was making them, the more his unashamedly old school style felt incredibly special. I loved his Dante work so much, and the more I explored other stuff he'd done, the more deeply I appreciated his talent. When I bought a page of art from him a while back he sent me a lovely, humble handwritten note as though I'd done him a favour by enjoying his work.

Wonderful artist, and what a loss.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Hawkmumbler

I believe I said as such when he announced his retirement (how sad that was announced but a few weeks ago) but Burns' art was a real 'Woah, comics can LOOK like that?' moment and opened my eyes to a world of painterly sequential works.
Any one artist that completely redefines the way you see a medium of art has done nothing short of a wonder, what a talent, what a career.
We'll miss you.

Link Prime

Awful news to start the year.

RIP.

broodblik