Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Goaty on 07 July, 2016, 09:01:41 PM
Just realise; in October, Theresa May could be Prime Minister of UK. In November, Hillary Clinton could be President of USA. So it bye bye to Mankind, it is WoMankind! Girl Power :(

You're forgetting the Queen and Angela Merkel.  Is there no end to this cruel domination? Why only the other day I saw a woman doctor and a male nurse! Madness.

ZenArcade

There neither men nor women....just pistons driving the gas into the ignition chamber. We're the gas. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

8-Ball

The Tory leadership race is rather depressing - it's a contest between two Thatcherbots. There can be no doubt as to why Darth May and Andrea Loathsome are both contenders: the Tories want to return to their Thatcherite fantasy land of deregulation, privatisation and managed decline of the provinces. The majority of us lived through the Eighties, it was shit. I don't want to go back there again. Whoever wins MUST do the decent thing and call a General Election. That way we can have the opportunity to kick these bastards out for fucking up the country. 
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

IndigoPrime

Astonishing still to see how many lefties seem to think this is all fantastic. Their fantasy is the UK getting a kicking for a year or two and then CORBYN TO THE RESCUE. By then, it'll be too late to rescue anything. At best, Labour would end up like the post-crash leftie govt in Iceland that was booted out after one turn.

8-Ball

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 July, 2016, 10:51:38 PM
Astonishing still to see how many lefties seem to think this is all fantastic. Their fantasy is the UK getting a kicking for a year or two and then CORBYN TO THE RESCUE. By then, it'll be too late to rescue anything. At best, Labour would end up like the post-crash leftie govt in Iceland that was booted out after one turn.

I'm a "Lefty" and the word "fantastic" is not one that comes to mind when I think of this country's parlous state. It's more along the lines of: "OHMYFUCKINGGODWHATHAVETHESEFUCKINGPRICKSDONEWEAREFUCKINGDOOMEDIHOPETHATTHESERIGHTWINGXENOPHOBICPRICKSALLBURNINHELL!!!!!!!"
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Professor Bear

The Blairite snakes really earned their silver on that front.

In other news, schoolchildren in England are being sent forms to fill out declaring their country of birth.

Modern Panther

Bloody lefties, they've really taken this country to the edge...

Oh no, hold on wait.

Hawkmumbler

Fucking hell! You go to sleep an iver night Dallas becomes a war zone!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: ZenArcade on 07 July, 2016, 10:05:30 AM
Surley the best decision would be to have a higher threshold for decisions of this sort of magnitude. Say 60% in order to leave? Z

That was exactly my thinking, for something as big as this (and considering the referendum isn't legally binding and is more a way to see how the country feel about an issue) anything less than an overwhelming majority just doesn't seem enough to be acted on.

My understanding was the referendum lets the government know what the people are thinking, and they then take that into account when making a decision either way. A lead of a few percent just shows that not enough of the country are committed to the idea for it to be a sensible thing to do (I reckon).

Rately

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 July, 2016, 09:35:13 AM

Horrible stuff.

I will watch, read and listen, until inevitably some talking head will blame the victims for not being armed. That'll be time to just wonder off and listen to some music or read a few comics. Such a depressing world.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Was the European referendum really about England and not Europe at all? A lot of leavers state that national sovereignty was a factor in their choice. The destruction of Labour in Scotland by the SNP might have proved to them that the Union was finished politically and by voting 'out' you effectively bring the UK to an end. Scottish MP's will call a second independence referendum and leave to re join Europe and the United Kingdom will become history. England will become an independent nation too but with few friends in the world since her power will be reduced the Army regiments splitting along National lines. London will of course carry on as a world city oblivious to this since it is powerful enough to be it's own country.

I think if the price of independence is the death of the UK then I'm afraid there are many English continuances who an live with that.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Theblazeuk

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 July, 2016, 10:51:38 PM
Astonishing still to see how many lefties seem to think this is all fantastic.

I've yet to see 'All fantastic' but the number of idiots who think this is somehow going to get rid of racism because "UKIP won't have anything to fight for anymore" is incredible. I mean, 1 would already have been incredible but I've seen many more.

IndigoPrime

To clarify, I'm not blaming the left for this, nor Labour. Labour has other issues (not least the terrible electoral system we have, which Labour arrogantly left in place, despite warnings not to from the Lib Dems and others). However, I know people who voted Leave, on the basis it would somehow bring down the Tories and fling Corbyn into Number 10, which is delusional at best. And they're still banging the drum that it's great the Tories will tear down the UK, thereby making a Labour win in 2020 more likely. (The numbers don't support this, of course, and it'll come at the expense of many lives. It's notably mostly well-off middle-class Labour supporters who take this view, and they apparently forget that UKIP is going to tear chunks out of Labour at the next GE. Frankly, the only hope this country and Labour has is to properly bury the hatchet with LD/GP/PC and approach the next GE in a pact system. If it doesn't, we're going to get another Tory majority as the non-Tory parties take chunks out of each-other's votes and as UKIP takes as much from Labour as the Tories.)

Theblazeuk

I find this deluded thinking even more depressing than the honestly right-wing.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 July, 2016, 09:35:13 AM

The worst of it is the horrible inevitability.

Unjustifiable but inevitable.

Shooting people never solved anything.
You may quote me on that.