Goaty

PSU, see the live crime rate! ouch!

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

darnmarr

Quote from: ming on 21 June, 2012, 08:11:34 PM
Another familiar moniker spotted at 1:03  :)
Quote from: Emperor on 21 June, 2012, 08:17:13 PM
I think he might shed a little tear over that. Unless he is the one who sneaked it in, I suppose ;)
I feel like shedding a tear over that meself: that is sublime.

locustsofdeath!

It's been impossible to stay off the forum today. I've had great fun reading reactions - this place has been a big party all day. I'm digging the trailer - I'm a little disappointed that when I posted it on my facebook page, several of my American friends commented that it looks too much like Robocop. I don't agree, and of course I know the story behind Robocop's production. I just hope this won't be the general movie-goer's attitude towards it. But maybe I'm just a worry-wart and it'll be fine.

darnmarr

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 22 June, 2012, 01:18:01 AM
- I'm a little disappointed that when I posted it on my facebook page,
I got this: " Ive been skeptical of your Don King like promotion of this DM, but that trailer looks preetay good."

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 22 June, 2012, 01:18:01 AM
I'm a little disappointed that when I posted it on my facebook page, several of my American friends commented that it looks too much like Robocop. I don't agree, and of course I know the story behind Robocop's production.

I've heard it began as a potential JD movie, but care to elaborate in more specificity, locusts dude?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

HdE

Quote from: darnmarr on 22 June, 2012, 12:04:41 AM
Quote from: ming on 21 June, 2012, 08:11:34 PM
Another familiar moniker spotted at 1:03  :)
I think he might shed a little tear over that. Unless he is the one who sneaked it in, I suppose ;)
I feel like shedding a tear over that meself: that is sublime.

SO pleased that the man Michael gets this shout-out. He thoroughly deserves it.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Michaelvk

I missed this when it got posted, and a few of the lads have pointed it out to me too.. I was fucking stoked! I shouted to my girlfriend, scaring her half to death.. It really made my day.. (but makes me wonder if the people who did it knew I was in the credits already.. :D )
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

ABCwarBOT

Right finally saw it after it not playing for me yesterday.   I think there's potential for a half decent Dredd flick in there.  Urban seems a good choice to play Dredd.   I'm still not overly fussed on parts of the uniform and the helmet maybe looks slightly big in parts but he seems to have got the voice pretty well.

Hard to get a real impression of Mega City in that but some of it looks good but in other parts the buildings all seem too far apart and it just doesn't look like MC from the comics and looks more like a modern city.
I think there should be more shots of mega tall skyscrapers bunched together more and at least some flying man made objects to make things busier .
I take it those firing between blocks is a block war so those bits look good and it looks gritty which is a good thing.  Acting seems competent.

Still don't like the Lawmaster bike but we're stuck with it now and the 90s looking vehicles look like a fish out of water in a film set in our future .   Doubt it will happen but DNA imo should add more futuristic vehicles before the film's released with CGI otherwise people will pick up on it calling it cheap.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 22 June, 2012, 11:19:08 PM

Hard to get a real impression of Mega City in that but some of it looks good but in other parts the buildings all seem too far apart and it just doesn't look like MC from the comics and looks more like a modern city.
I think there should be more shots of mega tall skyscrapers bunched together more and at least some flying man made objects to make things busier .
I take it those firing between blocks is a block war so those bits look good and it looks gritty which is a good thing.  Acting seems competent.

The films finished, forget about tweaks of a CGI sort.

I like how they''ve laid out the city. I think it comes across as a more impressive infra-structure and here's why: Seeing thousands of 200 storey blocks spread out across hundreds of miles with normal skyscrapers clustered around them gives a better idea of the sheer height and scale of MC-1, those normal buildings provide a great contrast to the colossal blocks and the scale is made very clear, visually. Something that I haven't seen any othe Metropolis style cities do so well. That opening shot makes the blocks look like tombstones or megalithic structures.

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 22 June, 2012, 11:19:08 PM
I take it those firing between blocks is a block war so those bits look good and it looks gritty which is a good thing. 

It's a block-war within one block, Peach Trees. The building has an open-air Atrium in the middle from top to bottom. There are 4 blocks/sides of apartments and the interior ones have balconies that all face each other across the open space of the atrium inside the block.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 June, 2012, 11:44:55 PM
Seeing thousands of 200 storey blocks spread out across hundreds of miles with normal skyscrapers clustered around them gives a better idea of the sheer height and scale of MC-1, those normal buildings provide a great contrast to the colossal blocks and the scale is made very clear, visually. Something that I haven't seen any othe Metropolis style cities do so well. That opening shot makes the blocks look like tombstones or megalithic structures

Finger firmly on button. The stillness of those bleached-out aerial shots lends them a sepulchral air, the high contrast serving the same function as the stark disparity between the monumental verticals of the monolithic towers and the horizontal, becalmed, oceanic expanse of their diminutive neighbours. If you want to make something look bigger, put it in the same shot as something much smaller- why do you think 5ft 7in Stallone insisted on working with 5ft 4in Rob Schneider and 5ft 5in Diane Lane?

QuotePeach Trees ... has an open-air Atrium in the middle from top to bottom. There are 4 blocks/sides of apartments and the interior ones have balconies that all face each other across the open space of the atrium inside the block.

I think one of the things that trailer does well is establish the geography of MC1. There's the shots of the bikes racing along the sked towards Peach Trees, that beautiful aerial creep toward and looking down into the atrium of the block, and the shots of perps and Dredd exchanging shots across the opposing sides and different levels inside the mega structure. Those little computer schematics, detailing the different levels, are hardly necessary.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: bikini kill on 23 June, 2012, 12:08:59 AM
If you want to make something look bigger, put it in the same shot as something much smaller- why do you think 5ft 7in Stallone insisted on working with 5ft 4in Rob Schneider and 5ft 5in Diane Lane?

and Danny Cannon.

blackmocco

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 June, 2012, 11:44:55 PM
I like how they''ve laid out the city. I think it comes across as a more impressive infra-structure and here's why: Seeing thousands of 200 storey blocks spread out across hundreds of miles with normal skyscrapers clustered around them gives a better idea of the sheer height and scale of MC-1, those normal buildings provide a great contrast to the colossal blocks and the scale is made very clear, visually. Something that I haven't seen any othe Metropolis style cities do so well. That opening shot makes the blocks look like tombstones or megalithic structures.

That's exactly it, Joe. To me, it looks like something mythic. And y'know, it's perfectly thought out. If there's a sequel, just set it five years ahead to justify more blocks closer to one another. To me anyway, this looks like a very different version of the usual future dystopia we see in movies. I applaud it. They could have just made it look like the '95 one or Fifth Element but why? We've seen that all before and as detailed as those visions were they didn't visually tell us anything about the city itself. What it looked like, yes but not what it's like to live there. Those images didn't give their city any sort of identity or character beyond the immediate surroundings of the characters. These opening shots tell us in two or three images exactly what we need to know about this place. Don't even need to see Dredd to know this place is an overcrowded, polluted fucking hellhole. I love it.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Alski

It looks great. Love the small touches that are in there solely for fans, such as the block names (will there be a Pete Wells?), the Hottie House, Fergie memorial day and of course Commando Forces!

I love that he says "I'm the law" and not "I AM DUH LURRR!".

Proper excitement is building, purely because it looks like proper care has been taken to make it as good as possible withing the budget.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Beeks

Quote from: dweezil2 on 21 June, 2012, 11:52:13 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 21 June, 2012, 10:02:40 PM
Map of the block

That's a lot of creeps that need judging!

I gather from this that pre mama takeover that the lower levels were actually policed?

The Yellow levels must have been deemed safer
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens