Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread  (Read 190409 times)

broodblik

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • watkykjy?
    • View Profile
Re: The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread
« Reply #1140 on: 31 May, 2021, 04:14:53 AM »
I much preferred Counterfeit Girl to any Bad Company we've had this millennium.

Y2K bug we all feared
Old age is the Lord’s way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death’s in case we didn’t take the hint.

The pen is mightier than the sword if the sword is very short, and the pen is very sharp.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: 31 May, 2021, 09:14:10 PM »

Prog 2011 - Back to the Future

So if you don't pay attention you can say that there have been two bumper end (start of) year Prog 2011s, but the first one is of course Prog 2011ad BUT for the purposes of this exercise shall we ignore that.

See as 2000ad charges into its 40th year it does so by not looking back. And sure I've done this before do 2000ad ability to not look back, be it as its namesake, be it at previous 2011s, be it even the last run. No what makes 2000ad the Galaxy's Greatest is avoiding reboots (mainly), not retreading (mainly) but instead drivign forward and therefore evolving, always evolving and growing. No better example than this issue - let's have a closer looks.

Dredd - well okay, but that's always going to happen! 40 year in though and the strip still produce episodes as fresh, exciting and just plain funny as this tale of accountancy gone bad - yep even the Accounting Dept gets into the new fad of corrupted Judging. Still Rob Williams and Chris Weston play a blinder.

New Thrill - Kingmaker and its a corker of an opener in the classic 2000ad tradition of genra mashing. More on this one soon I'm sure.

Ace Trucking Co okay so this one is looking back and is notably the weakest thing for it - lovely Nigel Dobbyn art aside.

The Order entering its third series - this new thrill is still fresh and exciting.

The Fall of Deadworld - a one of for this fantastic series that only got its first ongoing last year.

New Thrill - Hope another cracking opener for this Hollywood magical noir - again more down the pike.

Aquila - okay so you could agrue reboot here BUT its does it very well and his future (in the story sense) looking one off is a beaut.

Kingdom might be looking a little long in the tooth compared to many around if at ten years old but proving already there's life in the old fog yet.

So yeah that's pretty impressive and for fans who live in the past a bit annoying. For fans that want to see a comic that grows and strives for the new and innovative its a boon.

There's also a lovely feature obn Misty. Remember when all this reprinting of old material was fresh and exciting. When it was novel and surprising. Well we can almost take it for granted now. Just showing that while Rebellion have an eye on thwe future they have massive respect for the past and have revived old wonders like no one ever has in the UK comics industry.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: 08 June, 2021, 09:36:58 PM »

40th - Brink* and you'll miss it

What I admire most about the way 2000ad handles the 40th - at least through the prism of this re-read is it pretty much ignored it... well of course it didn't, but let me explain. In terms of the Prog itself, there were adverts for celebrations and events, letters from the arch-letter writers, mentions in the Nerve Centre, but in terms of story it was handled in the most appropriate way. It was ignored. As the 40th came and went 2000ad was half-way(ish) through the opening line-up of 2017 and so it just carried on, the way it should. It just continues producing a wonderful line-up of great stories. Its wonderfully fitting.

So I'll not dwell anymore here, instead I'm talk about that first line-up. There's really good Dredd as Mike Carroll, with Tiernen Trevallion and Henry Flint return to Texas City. There's another superb Kingdom as Gene is taken onboard the Master's ship, is reunited with 'Leeze' and Leeze, clashes with a kitty and generally tells a glorious story. The Order returns for its third series and its a blinder as Wyrms turn and tales nose into corners unseen. The Order is a strip I love, which is even better on re-read when all the bits you miss, or misunderstand fall into place. Its a masterpiece and that's not just the art.

This stuff is magnificent, but more importantly there are two wonderful new stories. I'll return to 'Hope' at a later date - as it takes a break half way through. I'll pause though to mention its break opens the door to one of my favourite runs on Sinister Dexter as Steve Yeowell joins as regular artist - again something I'll return to.

Instead though I'd like to focus on the other new thrill 'Kingmaker' its a 2000ad masterclass. Its so typical of the Prog and why the 40 years of thrills its produced have worked so well. It takes a genra staple and current media darling - in this case the Tolkienesque fantasy - and spins it. In this case throwing in an alien invasion. I mean that concept is fantastic in and of itself, but it throws another 2000ad staple, made great over the years. It twists the convention of who we are cheering for. Sure we have the world-weary wizard, as much Rincewind as Gandalf, but the stand out character (well at least his equal) is our Orc (well spelling aside). So as well as all this we get a glorious odd couple romp as well.

In doing all this, with Leigh Gallagher producing the best art he has in the Prog I should note, it never forgets to be thrilling, twisting, teasing and tremendous fun. Its just a bloody good thrill. My only concern for it is we've only had one more book after this and I hope it doesn't fall victim to writers Ian Edginton's habit of getting distracted by new shiny things. This is an epic, entertainly thrill and I want it back!

So yeah 40 years in and - in the Prog at least - rather than sit and celebrate Tharg's prime focus is getting the next 40 off with a seamless bang. What a great line up this is, celebrating all that's made those first forty years so fantastic, by looking ahead and constantly driving forward to the new.

...but of course we, and Tharg can't ignore an occasion as significent as the 40th so join me next time as we look at the 40th Anniversary Special a potentially wonderful package, created to allow the Prog to carry on doing what it does best.

*Oh and there is of course no Brink in any of these but errr the play on words pleased me and Brink represents all that is magnificent about new thrills, so forgive me.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: 09 June, 2021, 09:00:39 PM »

40th Anniversary Special

I said somewhere about some issue / other comic that ...that other comic was a big ol' hug of a comic and that's exactly what the 40th Special is too a big ol' hug of a comic.

It does have a very good Dredd by Wagner and Critchlow - which is cauriously and gloriously out of place in its grim 'Blood' driven intensions as Dredd investigates a mysterious pool of blood and the murder that almost certainly goes with it.

The rest of the comics however is just having such fun. Is embracing us and embracing everything 2000ad (which is why the out of tone Dredd is also very fitting). Its a lovely thing - but there's not much more to say really.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: 15 June, 2021, 09:16:50 PM »

Just a quickie tonight my dears.

As I've commented before NuYNWA and Selfabsorbed YNWA are colliding and so its hard to distinguish one from the other... normally. But its ressuring that Selfabsorbed YNWA is still capable of being a numb nut... or is that the Selfabsorb YNWA when now Selfabsorbed YNWA was NuYNWA was starting this re-read and thus awash with the type of Dredds 'Get Jerry Sing' is and so didn't appreciate it as much as current NuYNWA whose Selfabsorbed YNWA hasn't had this type of Dredd for a while now too... I think...shit I need to stop with this stuff!

Basically 'Get Jerry Sing' in Prog 2023 is an old school work of genius by the masters Wagner and Ezquerra. It really sings out as different and fresh by being so old and vital. Like a one off Dredd from the 300s but revitalised and modern. Its a simple story of a man scrawling a slogan, that slogan inspiring a fade and a murder... but it was all legal so he got away with it... except this is Mega City One so of course he didn't.

Its short, deceptively smart and oh so much fun. Just a brilliant piece of craft.