General Chat > Help!

Rebellion and Rights to Eagle Strips

(1/8) > >>

SmallBlueThing(Reborn):
Help needed with a clarification fellas. I'm a huge fan of the strip RAT TRAP, that originally ran in COR!! in the issues dated 29th July 1972 (#113) to 15th June 1974 (#211)* and live in permanent hope that Rebellion will print them- either as Meg floppies, Webshop exclusives like Janus Stark or trades/ hardbacks.

My love of this strip is down to a particularly vivid nightmare I had (presumably during the original run) in which Dr Rat came into my bedroom and blew a raspberry at me. My dad completely failed to subdue his traumatised son, mistaking my no doubt garbled explanation for night time terrified screaming as accusations our house was infested with vermin. I've never forgotten that dream, or the sense of utter terror and have deeply loved the strip ever since.

Rat Trap got a revamp with a new series running in the Eagle from 21st Oct 1989 (#396) to 21st April 1990 (#422) and therein lies the problem.

Does that mean that Rat Trap- in either incarnation- is off limits to Rebellion, and owned by the Dan Dare Corporation? Charley's War was reprinted in Eagle and that has seen various subsequent prints. Do I need to expect Dr Ratty Rat to languish in unpublished obscurity, or can I look forward to a possible volume on my increasingly crowded shelves?

Cheers

SBT

*with teasers in #111 and #112

Jim_Campbell:

--- Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 11 September, 2020, 12:19:09 PM ---Does that mean that Rat Trap- in either incarnation- is off limits to Rebellion

--- End quote ---

Given that he popped up briefly in the 2018 Misty & Scream special, I suspect not…  :)

Professor Bear:
As I understand it from others more versed in the minutiae than myself and who have publicly made statements about it (Lew Stringer and John Freeman have covered the subject on their respective blogs as they have personal stakes in some of the material), if it began life in one of the publications Rebellion now owns, it belongs to Rebellion even if original material was later created for the New Eagle - see also: Death Wish, Charley's War, Monster, The Thirteenth Floor, One-Eyed Jack, etc.
We've already seen reprints of the Monster and Thirteenth Floor material from the New Eagle, so I'd say Rebellion own it outright, though I'd like to think there's some financial comp to DDC for the New Eagle material.

Richard:
Why can't the Dan Dare Corporation just keep Dan Dare and sell everything else? It's not as if they're doing anything with Doomlord and Bloodfang.

broodblik:

--- Quote from: Richard on 11 September, 2020, 01:34:02 PM ---Why can't the Dan Dare Corporation just keep Dan Dare and sell everything else? It's not as if they're doing anything with Doomlord and Bloodfang.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I wish they would. They are not even doing anything with Dan Dare.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version