General Chat > Help!

A Moral Dilemma - separating the art from the artist

<< < (3/14) > >>

wedgeski:

--- Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 05 October, 2020, 03:50:00 PM ---I have yet to be faced with a monumentally serious transgression by someone I really admire though. Were that to happen, I might find it more difficult to process.
--- End quote ---
This sums up my position as well.

Professor Bear:
Isn't that just a lack of empathy, though?  Boycotting a person or entity involves being asked to do literally nothing, I don't really see how that could be seen as asking too much.

Tjm86:
I think for the most part I'm the same as others in these parts.  I don't dwell too much on some of the witterings of various 'celebrities' or artistes.  I do draw the line when their worldview starts to permeate their work a bit too much.  A good example was Tom Clancy.  Admittedly there was always a jingoistic dimension to his work but his later novels took it to a whole new level.

In the case of Rowling I've always found her work to be trite and hackneyed.  There was little that I felt even underwhelmed by, much less 'whelmed'.  Such views have been called sacrilegious in the past but when even Enid Blyton produces better literature you have to ask questions.  I always point interested readers to Le Guin's Earthsea works, the Weirdstone of Brisinghamen or Feist's earlier work (especially the Daughter series) before he crawled up his own backside and started repeating himself over and over ...

milstar:
To me, it just depends on whether artist's body of work is influenced by artist's personal views or actions. Because you can be an a-hole in real life, and Mr. Magic in whatever is what you do (drawing, writing, acting, directing). In fact, when I look at directing for instance, James Cameron or Michael Bay are a-hole directors to me, but hey, one made Aliens, Abyss, Avatar, the other made Transformers series, earning piles of money in the process. And old Hollywood directors were much cruel toward actors and crew. But should we hate John Ford's She Wore Yellow Ribbon? I don't think so. Someone mentioned HPL. I admit I haven't got his views initially, only when I read his biography. In Shadow Over Innsmouth, fishmen were scary because I thought of them as any  malicious monsters you could find. Needless to say, HPL views were typical for 1920s. Okay, now I am straying off the subject here. Back on point, I believe reader's (or viewers) should have a little responsibility to what they chose as an object of consummation. What I do, for instance, before I read something new that interests me, is to read about the work, the artist so I could determine if I actually will enjoy it. I never read Cerebus, neither now I will. On the other hand, I loved Ender's Game, even though Orson Scott Card doesn't like two uncles in intimate situations. But to find something that just a little reeks on homophobia in Ender's Game is like a searching for needle in haystack.
Finally, like someone said, we all draw our (personal) lines. So, what matters to me, might not matter to other and vice-versa.

Jim_Campbell:

--- Quote from: milstar on 15 February, 2021, 05:58:13 PM ---Needless to say, HPL views were typical for 1920s.

--- End quote ---

Even by the standards of the day, Lovecraft's racism and antisemitism were pretty extreme.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version