General Chat > Help!

A Moral Dilemma - separating the art from the artist

<< < (11/14) > >>

CalHab:
Aptly enough it was an encounter with Cave (who I idolised) which made me realise that I don't have to like artists whose work I love.

In short, he was a bit behaving like a bit of a dick.

But then, everyone has days like that.

JayzusB.Christ:

--- Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 March, 2021, 11:22:19 AM --- However, as soon as I sell (I wish!) or give away (you're welcome) my art or stories, they aren't mine any more - they belong to whoever wants them.
--- End quote ---

I think I've just spotted Pat Mills with an angry look and a harpoon.

milstar:

--- Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 March, 2021, 11:22:19 AM ---Yep, that's more or less how I see it as well (but go further, into very unpopular opinions concerning copyrights and patents). As soon as my pen leaves the paper for the last time, so to speak, that art or story is a thing in itself, a thing which belongs to me and me only. However, as soon as I sell (I wish!) or give away (you're welcome) my art or stories, they aren't mine any more - they belong to whoever wants them. The last two stories I posted here are also on a friend's website, she posts stories and reviews, and I don't think her readers care who I am or what I think. I'm just some random name under a title - almost completely separated from the "art" - so I think people routinely judge art and artist differently.

--- End quote ---

Ditto. I like to think that piece of art starts its own way of living, like a kid who separate from his parents in search for creating a life for him/herself.

Rara Avis:

--- Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 February, 2021, 02:55:08 PM ---I've had to have the transgenderism vs. feminism debate explained to me really carefully before I got it - and even now I feel like a fledgling who would have difficulty arguing the case well to an opponent. Up-thread, a year or so ago, I basically side-stepped it as too problematic an issue to figure out.

--- End quote ---

What is all this about? It seems that even asking questions around this is transphobic. I'm also not sure exactly what JKL is supposed to have done / said. There is apparently a very lazy and inaccurate depiction of a trans serial killer in one of her books that offended people (both for stereotyping and for terrible writing) and then some twitter comments were she doubled down but other than that I have no idea what's going on.

milstar:
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/11/dakota-johnson-cancel-culture-downer-incredible-time-working-with-armie-hammer-shia-labeouf

Reminded me on this thread.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version