Main Menu

Alan Grant or Pat Mills - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 1

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 June, 2021, 06:25:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJomster

Been holding off on this as it's a tricky one... surely the nod has to go to Pat though for an awesome collection of iconic work. Alan's done some fine work too, so don't get me wrong. Some of that Anderson work as mentioned was tops. That's what makes this one a bit tricky.

Pat 3 - Alan 2
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Dog Deever

Going to break my own abstention rule and vote on this one. I like a lot of both of their stuff- Pat has a huge amount of good stuff but very often his dialogue makes me cringe and he has written some pretty gash stuff too. Grant doesn't have such an extensive body of solo work, but he has Anderson and Ace Trucking.

Pat 3 Alan 2
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Colin YNWA

So we hit the final warning on our first vote in the Solhiem Cup and if you've been struggling to make up your mind - well nows the time to knuckle down and make a call as I'll close this one down and count up in the morning.

So when I drew this one out the hat (well random name picker online, but hat sounds so much better) I thought straight away - damn that's a harsh draw for Alan (G) but then you think about it more and its closer than I thought. Worth noting straight away both are wildly inconsistant writers. Both have written strips I'm madly fond of, both have written strips I've not enjoyed. For every Nemesis the Warlock there's Blackhawk. For every Finn there's Anderson. The list at both ends of the spectrum for both writers goes on and on. All that said when you get down it it I surprised myself in terms of pure writing Mills probably has more misses than hits compared to Alan Grant. While Nemesis and Savage are favourite Slaine dropped off my popular list many many years again and Strontium Dog by Grant alone and his run on Anderson match Mills highs.

In the end I remember that Alan Grant co wrote one of the greatest comic runs of all time with John Wagner with thie Dreddand there's a danger of giving all credit for that to Wagner - but it was a partnership and so on that basis.

Alan Grant 3 : Pat Mills 2

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

i used to love the work and musings of pat mills. but recent events surrounding the millsverse have made it difficult to even read those early classics any more without a jaundiced eye, and without wondering if the sad seeds were actually always there (my jury is still out on this).

so it's 5-0 to the master sci-fi comics storyteller, alan.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

This one was close, as is fitting for such titans of the comic. In the end thoguh pretty early on Pat Mills started to establish a lead and from that point on Alan Grant was always playing catch up. So the first round has gone to Team Current and they certainly seem to have got some big guns firing early in this tournament - judging by other rounds. The question is can they sustain it and what do Team Classic have in reserve?

Team Current 1 : Team Classic 0

Team Current 48 : Team Classic 42

IndigoPrime

So the bloke that's quit 2000 AD is Team Current, but the guy who's still writing for it is Team Classic? Or have I misunderstood something?

Colin YNWA

There's a whole post in the set up thread about my Mills call

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=47640.msg1063035#msg1063035

As far as I recall Alan hasn't - unfortunately - written more than a few one-offs since Prog 2000 (2016) and hasn't done a series (or a load of Dredd) as per the benchmark.