Main Menu

Garth Ennis or Rob Williams - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 2

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 June, 2021, 06:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

Garth Ennis 2 : Rob Williams 3

I enjoy Judgement Day more than I should, and Emrald Isles, which grants Ennis a couple points here. But Williams wins for consistently good, dependable story telling.

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Colin YNWA

Last chance for this one votes - there's a count a coming and that count is coming in the morning so get a votin', get a votin' hard...

So my hard vote goes a little like this Garth Ennis is one of my favourite writers, outside the Prog. In the Prog its not even close. However since I do consider Crisis in my pantheon of work for Tharg some great work there needs to be considered BUT its not enough and ultimately Tharg's Palace was little more than a training ground for Garth, where for Rob Williams its been both training ground and home of his best work and so on that basis:

Garth Ennis 0 : Rob Williams 5

JayzusB.Christ

Rob's not my favourite Dredd writer by any stretch, but I hated most of Garth's stuff.  (Except for his non-prog stuff, that is, which has become excellent.)

Rob 5, Garth 0.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Ennis's Dredds were rough—but a lot better than the crap other people were writing at the time. Strontium Dogs was OK until the Gronk went mental and Ennis resurrected Alpha, only for him to then be killed off again. The Chopper series was an abomination, albeit better than the crap McKenzie subsequently shat out. But his better Dredds and Crisis work deserve some recognition.

Rob Williams: I find his Dredds a bit variable, but: Low Life; Ichabod Azrael; Hershey; Ten Seconders. Not sure if Ordinary counts or not, but that was great too.

So: Ennis 1 // Williams 4.

Link Prime

My vote has been heavily influenced by the year 2020:

Ennis 4 / Williams 1

sintec

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Pretty cut and dry this one. It would have been a much more interesting and tense vote I suspect if we'd open things up beyond Tharg's watch BUT that's not the tourney we have and so however devisive some of Rob Williams recent work is there was no stopping him rule the rooster over a writer who may have learnt his craft with Tharg but has taken those lessons elsewhere.

Overall the tight result for Team Current yesterday is backed up by this far more one sided affair to give them a confident start. One suspects Team Classic have far more to come...

Team Current 2 : Team Classic 0

Team Current 122 : Team Classic 73

broodblik

We must also take this in perspective that although guys like Pat and John is still writing or at least still contributed recently to the prog they are still classic writers in my viewpoint.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

milstar

Quote from: broodblik on 25 June, 2021, 07:06:19 AM
We must also take this in perspective that although guys like Pat and John is still writing or at least still contributed recently to the prog they are still classic writers in my viewpoint.

This. I wonder will we have John Wagner vs John Wagner thread?
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Dog Deever

Quote from: broodblik on 25 June, 2021, 07:06:19 AM

Very much this.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.