Main Menu

Ian Kennedy RIP

Started by rogue69, 07 February, 2022, 03:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Terrible news and condolences to his family. The only two commissions I've got are by Ian. Lovely fellow.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

the best cover artist in the history of british comics.

r.i.p.

Link Prime

Aw, sorry top hear that.

Great artist, and by all accounts an authentic gentleman.
Was glad to have met him at the 40th bash.

Someone gifted me a copy of this a few years back, and I heartily recommend it:
https://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/the-art-of-ian-kennedy

paddykafka

Very sad to read of Ian's passing. A fabulous artist. May he RIP.

AlexF

Hoping he ascends to glory in a rocket ship of his own design, he really did draw the best planes.

Dandontdare

Sad news. Nobody drew spaceships like Ian Kennedy

Hawkmumbler

One of the best, he truly will be missed.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Woolly

Very sad to read of this. RIP Ian.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Ian Kennedy had a distinctive style of art that seemed to leap off the page at you. His Spaceships and Planes were particularly striking and often half-lit from underneath to emphasise the sleekness of the design. Well, he's now travelled the path we all must go ourselves at some point, but in a hundred years, comic fans will be marvelling at Ian Kennedy's artwork.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Richard

It would be good if Treasury of British Conics could do some Ian Kennedy Dan Dare graphic novels, but presumably that would depend on the Dan Dare Corporation not being twats about it.

broodblik

Quote from: Richard on 09 February, 2022, 01:19:24 PM
It would be good if Treasury of British Conics could do some Ian Kennedy Dan Dare graphic novels, but presumably that would depend on the Dan Dare Corporation not being twats about it.

That will super
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

One thing that amazes me about veteran comic artists like Ian Kennedy is how they adapted from drawing accurate renditions of C20th combat planes and vehicles to conjouring spectacular spacecraft from their imaginations. Ian was one of the absolute kings of this.

Funny how small details sometimes make an impression, but the one thing I always notice about Ian Kennedy's art are the pronounced shadows underneath his character's noses, right over the philtrum.

Richard

I wish you hadn't told me that, now I'm going to notice it all the time!

karlos

One of the greats.

Remember being utterly in love with his Dan Dare run as a kid, which led to me to following his work throughout.

Rest in peace  good sir.