Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Well, that's one Good Thing at least.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

I'm sitting here bemused, not for the first time in recent history, by the reactions of the British public. And the media. It isn't "the whole country". I'd love to see some indifference reported.

I can see a case for the news being dedicated to one item for days on end. I just happen to think it should have been when we hit 100,000 COVID deaths.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

judgeurko

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 September, 2022, 10:19:30 PM
I'm sitting here bemused, not for the first time in recent history, by the reactions of the British public. And the media. It isn't "the whole country". I'd love to see some indifference reported.

I can see a case for the news being dedicated to one item for days on end. I just happen to think it should have been when we hit 100,000 COVID deaths.
Yes the UK is so odd. Still enamoured by a relic like the monarchy.

Hawkmumbler

Update: Still dead.

I can't help but feel the news that Ukraine has regained 200K square miles of their own territory as part of the largest conflict throughout Europe in decades, though undoubtedly present in some media presentation, is decidedly of more interest than the latest instalment in The None Walking Dead.

paddykafka

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 September, 2022, 10:22:59 AM

Probably. They'll also have to change portraits in official offices, pillar boxes and those fancy costumes some officials wear. I'm sure Charlie won't mind covering the enormous cost out of his own pocket...

About which...  ;)  :)

https://www.facebook.com/ThingsOnlyIrish/posts/pfbid02B7FeuQzzvxhGJBvYzbv2ZyqQduKZxnZeSHqjKf2jJHzBRqXjDXFmTWsng7BYyQe1l

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: paddykafka on 13 September, 2022, 02:25:21 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 11 September, 2022, 10:22:59 AM

Probably. They'll also have to change portraits in official offices, pillar boxes and those fancy costumes some officials wear. I'm sure Charlie won't mind covering the enormous cost out of his own pocket...

About which...  ;)  :)

https://www.facebook.com/ThingsOnlyIrish/posts/pfbid02B7FeuQzzvxhGJBvYzbv2ZyqQduKZxnZeSHqjKf2jJHzBRqXjDXFmTWsng7BYyQe1l

:lol:
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

a number of medical emergencies in the coffin queue today. and now we have night and the suddenly autumnal cold.
it's worth it, they say. divine right and so forth innit.

Funt Solo

Which of his many homes will King Charles live in?

Ah, great! Another story about how we can reflect our own experiences of bereavement by examining that of the Royals. I recall, when I was granted the right of Kings by God Almighty following the death of the previous monarch I also was faced with a choice of which palatial residence to rest my crown-weary head.

Which one of us here would envy King "I Fill Up Your Tank" Charles this terrible choice?

Huzzah! Long live King "I'll just live inside your trousers" Charles! Huzzah!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

huzzah indeed.

dydd hapus owain glyndŵr.

Funt Solo

Ukraine war: Occupied areas call urgent vote to join Russia

The weirdest thing about the whole "invade first, referendum at gunpoint" tactic of claiming territory is that there's a stripe of left-wing sympathizer from the previous generation that fully supports it.

I include in that number my dad (who, on the annexation of Crimea, said "but they had a referendum") and Roger Waters (who blames, obviously, NATO).

I wish famous, talented people (and my dad, who is half of that description) wouldn't be such dunces as soon as a red flag is waved in front of them.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

nxylas

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 September, 2022, 07:07:36 PM
Ukraine war: Occupied areas call urgent vote to join Russia

The weirdest thing about the whole "invade first, referendum at gunpoint" tactic of claiming territory is that there's a stripe of left-wing sympathizer from the previous generation that fully supports it.
Not just from the previous generation either. I see Putin tankies on Twitter who are not that old. They claim to be anti-imperialist, but that only seems to apply to US/NATO imperialism. Russian and Chinese imperialism is just fine by them.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

putin mobilising 300,000 reservists and threatening nukes?
that's strange - the bbc had me thinking there that this all finished 12 days ago ...
och well.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 21 September, 2022, 09:46:36 AM
putin mobilising 300,000 reservists and threatening nukes?
that's strange - the bbc had me thinking there that this all finished 12 days ago ...
och well.

Can't say I agree - the only news I heard said that Ukraine had made significant gains. Nobody I listened to, including the BBC, gave me even the slightest feeling that this was anywhere near over.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

In that there Youtube (that you'll have heard of), you often get silly headlines like "Is this the end of the tank?" or "Is this the end for Russia?", but the BBC tends to be more circumspect. Sort of "Big victory push in the north from Ukraine - Russia embarrassed - but they still hold a fifth of Ukraine and Putin's not the backing down sort".

And we can see that, indeed, he's not.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++