Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Armoured Gideon vs. Metalzoic Round 3 Heat 6

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 May, 2022, 06:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well a very significant week in the tournament as we enter Round 3 after the seemingly unending Round two. We're down to the last 128 thrills and from here the quality will step up, but the choices start to get harder. But the lovely thing about this round is there is still plenty of room for mis-matches...

Mechanised Monster Derby this one with Armoured Gideon who has banished Stone Island and the Balls Brothers, mashing metal might against Metalzoic who has crushed the fleshy victims Harry Kipling and Judge Hershey to make it to Round 3. One of these rumbustious robots will take a rollicking, but which?

Armoured Gideon - more info

Vs

Metalzoic - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 14th May and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

AlexF

Been trying to justify the part of me that finds Armoured Gideon charming and remembers his strips being more fun than not. But Metalzoic really is a very sophisticated and beautiful story, so I'm not finding it easy. Would be happy if either of these giant robot tales made it through to the next round. Gotta pick a side I guess!

Gonna go with Armoured Gideon, on the strength of Simon Jacob's robot and weird monster designs, which I hoesntly think might just best O'Neill's design work on Metalzoic.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

rogue69

abelardsnazz

Armoured Gideon for the tremendous fun it was. Still holding out for it appearing in the Ultimate Collection as we don't know all of the contents yet.

IndigoPrime

Oh, come on! This is like when two qualifiers end up meeting each other in the fourth round of the FA Cup. Bah.

Armoured Gideon has some of the finest robot design around. It's imaginative and weird. It's, frankly, hugely disappointing that it won't be part of the UC, because it bloody well deserves to be, and far worse strips are getting HC treatment. But Metalzoic? That's got some gorgeous artwork and a fantastic early Mills story that balances imagination, societal points and sci-fi, without veering off into his later overbalance towards preaching. Also, I'd argue the black and white 2000 AD version is the definitive one, letting the art properly shine, compared to the relatively murky US release.

Argh.

No. I refuse. I just can't do it. I'm sitting on this fence until there's an imprint across my butt cheeks.

Blue Cactus

Ooh, tough one this. I'd like complete collections of both of these please Tharg. Not read either for many years. Need to dwell on this choice for a bit.

sheridan

I'd consider the demon-fighting robot, but it's up against a robot baboon (not to mention those mek-mammoths), so Metalzoic gets my vote.

Huey2

Metalzoic. Mills and O'Neill at their very best - A fantastic blend of A.B.C. Warriors and Slaine but better and a comic which could not have worked in any other medium. Plus that run of covers was great.

Link Prime

I'll be happy if either get through, but my fingers seemingly cannot type a vote against a Mills & O'Neill series.

Metalzoic

skurvy

sheridan

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 May, 2022, 10:36:01 AM
I'll be happy if either get through, but my fingers seemingly cannot type a vote against a Mills & O'Neill series.

That's understandable - but then I put down my full-fledged Squaxxdom down to Book III of Nemesis the Warlock.  That's the story that inspired me-as-a-kid to make plasticine figures and draw lots of figures in cloaks on my schoobooks.