Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Cradlegrave vs. Rogue Trooper Rd 4 Heat 6

Started by Colin YNWA, 06 July, 2022, 06:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 July, 2022, 01:48:58 PM
Quote from: Richard on 06 July, 2022, 08:22:42 PMBut there are enough exceptions, such as Biowire, Cinnabar and The War Machine
But presumably War Machine is part of a different (if eventually merged) series? (Mind you, even if not, I was surprised by how much I just didn't care when I re-read that in the UC. I sold my copy on eBay.)

If we want to be picky War Machine was considered part of 'Rogue Trooper (Friday) - if folks can be bothered to worry about such things. Always remember (well unless you explicity state) I'll never know either way and its  not as if I'll discount your vote... well unless it means by doing so I can get Cradlegrave through over Rogue Trooper!

Proudhuff

Quote from: BPP on 06 July, 2022, 07:36:54 AM
However tempted you are by the one and done perfection of cradlegrave you just have to remember the sheer excitement pages of Cam Kennedy rogue gave. The very best in sci-fi action comics

This^^^ Rogue it is
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Almost forgot to vote. So yeah Rogue it is. It's not quite up there with the likes of Stront, Slaine and
Nemesis, but it's still a classic.

Loved Dave Gibbons art on those early episodes. Not sure why, but they rarely seem to get mentioned, compared to Cam Kennedy, Brett Ewin and Steve Dillon's episodes. Or maybe that's just me.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Colin YNWA

For a brief moment I thought Cradlegrave might actually do it, but it doesn't seem so alas. We'll know for sure tomorrow morning so get those votes in today.

broodblik

I do not know why Cradlegrave has such a big support. I have read it and I just could not get into it and find it one of John smith's weaker entries (basically boring). But then again that is the beauty of stories one person love something and next person see it as bland.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

This is silly. How on (Nu-) Earth are we supposed to choose between a one-shot suburban horror story and an ongoing all-action war strip? They're about as far apart on the thematic spectrum as you can get. It's like asking me if I prefer caviar or Weetabix.

Hmm

Actually, put like that... it's definitely Weetabix

Rogue Trooper

sintec

Quote from: norton canes on 08 July, 2022, 11:50:29 AM
It's like asking me if I prefer caviar or Weetabix.

Cinnabar is a definite high point in the Rogue saga imo - so why not both. Maybe the secret ingredient to the best ever Weetabix is caviar

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

the secret to the best ever weetabix definitely isn't the hit.

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

maryanddavid

This is where the votes  get hard, really hard to compare these two. RT is a great, if not one of the best 2000 AD characters, sometime in search of a good story and Cradlegrave is one of the very best one and done, and certainly one of the best things in the Prog in the last 25 years.

On balance, its RT for me.  In terms of art, its a roster of classic droids, and some really great moments, no disco in Cradlegrave! The saddest thing about this vote is that Ed Bagwell was really just hitting his stride, he was an amazing artist, and no more John Smith either, but we live in hope with that one.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well wow what a vote. Highest number to date I think - not done a complete check - and plenty of good chat around it. This is the quality we can begin to expect soon. And for a moment I dared to hope. Cradlegrave a truly innovative, shocking dark sci-fi horror had this for a day or so. It really did. Alas from that point Rogue Trooper took a grip and more and more folks flock to this tent pole character bouyed by great art and the occasional highlight (look I'm not a fan of Roge - art aside - okay) and by the end the inevitable happened

Rogue Trooper

will be trying to find a use of Helm in Round 5.