Main Menu

2000ad novels

Started by O Lucky Stevie!, 29 October, 2001, 12:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

considering his wonderful text pieces for the specials & annuals i think that the obvious choice for writing a 2000ad novel would be john smith.

& i'll reiterate stephen baxter, who loves comics. just thought of the superb ian watson too (who did a couple of warhammer novels)

steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

GordonR

I think John Smith's also written a few short stories for underground publishers like Creation, as has Grant Morrison.

Other 2000AD writers dipping their toes into thebig scary words-without-pictures thing?

Dan Abnett's written at least half a dozen Warhammer novels.

Gordon Rennie's written two.

Alan Grant wrote a novelisation of the Batman Knightfall saga.  He may have written something else too.

Um...

There's Alan Moore's literary novel, 'Voices of the Fire', of course.

David Bishop and David Stone both wrote a couple of the old Dredd novels, and have also written Dr Who novels.

I'm sure there's probably a few more I haven't thought of.  Anyone got any others?

Dominic O'Rourke

which was why I suggested those below, Grant Morrison, Neil Gaiman, and Alan Grants, novel writing (Stone and Bishop too) is not up to current sci-fi novelisation standards, Gaimans American Gods, reads like a comic script, frame descriptions and all, this is not how I read books
Member No. 10

Wake

I wonder if Alan Dean Foster is a 2000AD fan. I used to lap up his movie novelisations.

Matt

I do like the illustrated anthology idea. I used to enjoy reading the shorts that appeared in annuals & sci-fi specials. I reaaly like the Neil Gaiman one about sugar dealers selling spiders eggs.

mark xiii

>I wonder if Alan Dean Foster is a 2000AD fan. I used >to lap up his movie novelisations.

Yeah! Top idea.

Mark - Man of few words and too many Scojo e-mails.

Roger Simian

I remember reading an Alan Dean Foster Star Sars novel called 'Splinter Of The Mind's Eye' or something, that was much better than George Lucas's novelisation of the first film.

BTW, all these suggestions for writers outside the comics field doing 2000AD novels are good but is it really all that likely when they're probably already busy with their own careers?  

I did think about what an Iain Banks 2000AD novel would be like but he'd just never have the time to write it and he wouldn't necessarily be all that familiar with those universes.

Anyway, in a way, I'd rather see what Iain Banks or Jeff Noon or Alasdair Gray etc did if they were to have a go at writing actual comic strips.

O Lucky Stevie!

I remember reading an Alan Dean Foster Star Sars novel called 'Splinter Of The Mind's Eye' or something, that was much better than George Lucas's novelisation of the first film.

alan dean foster ghost wrote the novelisation of the first star wars film for george lucas. just compare the prose in the novelisation with any other of fosters own work from that period (the original humanx commonwealth novels, in particular).

the opening desciption of tatooine is so instantly recognisably alan dean foster's work, very reminiscent of how he introduces midworld in the book of the same name.

yes, jeff noon illustrated by brendan mccarthy. blooming gold, if you pardon my french.

iain (m.) banks, another great choice. but not having enough time to write a 2000ad novel? my understanding of his writing methodology is that he sets aside three months each year to write a novel (alternating between iain banks lit-fi & iain m. banks sf), then spends the rest of the year living of his royalties. lovely bloke he is too, an absolute gent.

i'd also like to suggest geoff ryman as a contender for 2000ad writer/novelist.

cheers,

steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Roger Simian

"alan dean foster ghost wrote the novelisation of the first star wars film for george lucas. just compare the prose in the novelisation with any other of fosters own work from that period (the original humanx commonwealth novels, in particular)."

Don't have the novels anymore, alas.  I read them when they came out in the late '70s, when I was 9 or 10.  I just remember really loving 'Splinter in The Minds Eye' and thinking 'Star Wars' wasn't nearly as good as the film.  Kuh!  Youngsters, eh?

BTW, there's an interview I did with Iain Banks at my site, if you're interested.  One with Alan Grant, too.  Just click on the link down there...

Link: http://vzone.virgin.net/trigg-er.erotic/dStrigg.html" target="_blank">Alan Grant / Iain Banks interviews