Main Menu

Prog 2381: A grizzly fate

Started by IndigoPrime, 04 May, 2024, 11:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

But the fact Dredd hasn't had a reboot is a differentiator in and of itself. And there have been pseudo reboots, such as the various attempts by other publishers, the movie version, 2099, etc. I'm not sure binning continuity and starting afresh would benefit Dredd in any meaningful way for what is still ultimately a niche character. It'd surely just piss off those who are invested.

As for status quo shifts, I'm still of the opinion that Chaos Day shouldn't have happened – at least to that extent. Or at least without Wagner having plans regarding what to do next, rather than destroying the city and wryly going "get out of that then". It wasn't ultimately consequential, and only rarely addressed. It had less impact than the Apocalypse War (which was followed by some superb stories). But perhaps issues of consequence are all but impossible when you don't have one vision for the strip and instead have several somewhat competing ones. Thinking about it, there's not really anything else like that in 2000 AD now, bar perhaps Rogue Trooper. And that's not something that ever moves along. Things happen. Then you get another story. There's no overriding arc or plan.

Quotehow does Dredd now get back home
My guess is he'll just be back in MC-1 and that won't be addressed. After all, the next strip isn't by Williams. But we'll see soon enough.

Leigh S

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 May, 2024, 11:13:49 AMAs for status quo shifts, I'm still of the opinion that Chaos Day shouldn't have happened – at least to that extent. Or at least without Wagner having plans regarding what to do next, rather than destroying the city and wryly going "get out of that then". It wasn't ultimately consequential, and only rarely addressed.

Which is really not Wagner's fault (unless he didnt mention what the outcome of Chas Day was going to be, and evven then, thats kind of editorials for not being curious!).  Wagner presented the writers with a whole new potentially interesting set up (two if you count the end of Origins) and instead we get Millar-Bear and N-AI-Mand Bog Paper Nostalgia.

Vector14

You could have a story where Dredds brain has to be transfered into Ricos body, Bennet Beeny style.
That would keep Joe going a while longer before we get back to the getting old stories again.

But maybe Rico is old too at this stage...

Richard

Rico must be in his forties by now, but they can make other clones. Biochips exist in Dredd continuity (see The Judge Child).

It's not Dredd's fault that most of the city is in ruins; that happened because Francisco ignored his advice.

Le Fink

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 May, 2024, 09:55:51 AMThat MC1 would be screwed without Dredd, even though he's ultimately largely responsible for the city being in bits?

How so (genuine question)?

Le Fink

Quote from: Le Fink on 09 May, 2024, 04:50:24 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 May, 2024, 09:55:51 AMThat MC1 would be screwed without Dredd, even though he's ultimately largely responsible for the city being in bits?

How so (genuine question)?

(I agree with the first bit. I don't understand how he's ultimately largely responsible for the city being in bits)

nxylas

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 May, 2024, 11:13:49 AMBut the fact Dredd hasn't had a reboot is a differentiator in and of itself. And there have been pseudo reboots, such as the various attempts by other publishers, the movie version, 2099, etc. I'm not sure binning continuity and starting afresh would benefit Dredd in any meaningful way for what is still ultimately a niche character. It'd surely just piss off those who are invested.
But the current situation can't be sustained indefinitely. If not a reboot, then what?
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

Richard

Yes if they killed him off and rebooted it , it wouldn't deprive Rebellion of their most famous IP.

I'd rather they found another way, but all the continuity must be a bit daunting to new writers. We're lucky that the current crew know the strip well.

Funt Solo

An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

Le Fink

Quote from: Funt Solo on 09 May, 2024, 06:40:44 PMBrain transplant?
His brain is very old. I prefer the biochip idea. Maybe someone did an imprint back when he was younger - after Necropolis?

Funt Solo

Yeah. Of course, Dredd's character would push back against the idea, I suppose. It'd be a horrible irony if his mind was forced into a Mechanismo unit.

What if the strip was still called Judge Dredd, but it was just about Mega-City One? You'd still have Fargo clones knocking about, but he'd be retired, or CJ, or teaching at the AoL, or dead.

(We already know he's got invulnerable Rebellion-IP Plot Armour +5, +10 vs. Aging, so you can take that as read.)
An angry nineties throwback who needs to get a room ... at a lesbian gymkhana.

norton canes

Didn't he get a full body replenishment type thing in the Meg a few years ago?

broodblik

Quote from: norton canes on 09 May, 2024, 07:05:01 PMDidn't he get a full body replenishment type thing in the Meg a few years ago?

Yes he did. Meg #375 "The Carousel" (script by Michael Carroll art by Ben Wilsher)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jacqusie

Quote from: norton canes on 09 May, 2024, 07:05:01 PMDidn't he get a full body replenishment type thing in the Meg a few years ago?

Which was all well and good, but the brain and the body are not two seperate entities. Brain cells - neurons - atrophy as we all get older and stop sending the quality signals and information to the brain stem and our organs etc.

Dredd might still be sharp and I'm sure they have some great medications in the future to stave off dementia, but there will be parts of him failing as his brain starts to atrophy.

It's ok having a 40 year old body, but an 80 year old brain is just that and it's in charge of all your major functions, like bowel and bladder control. Which, with that uniform & zip could be fun.

Jacqusie

I also think Dredd is becoming more isolated in the strip and dare I say it, out-dated.

An 80 year old male Judge hanging around Beeeny as his only friend is all a bit sad and I come back to Dredd needing a strong set of support cast and characters to make the strip work.

I still think they should let John Wagner decide and write his end, which who knows, he may have already done and it's in the safe in the sub-basement, waiting to see the light of day soon.