Main Menu

Londons Falling -

Started by DavidXBrunt, 23 June, 2006, 03:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

as a non-pom will I like this when we get to it?  Soulds alright but will it be accessable for an ex-convict without access to the net?(at home anyway).
Nerd-from-oz - Rawhead Rex the movie is based on a Clive Barker short story, pretty average movie if I remember correctly(think it came out in the 90's too)but the story its based on is pretty good, dont thinkl it really has anything to do with the legend they're talking about here though.

CU Radbacker

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, I think it's accesable. It's pretty well written too.

Funt Solo

Radbacker - You don't need any of this background knowledge to enjoy London Falling.  (In fact, at a push, I'd go as far as saying that too much analysis may even spoil it for you.)

---

Ah, yes - the scissory dude.  Thanks for that, Ush - I knew I recognised him from somewhere - but the author's name doesn't stay in my head for some reason.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Emperor

There is now a Wikipedia entry on this. I've thrown in a link to this thread but I was going to throw in some information on the links with mythology/folklore that have been posted here is folks were OK with that. It wouldn't require the actual text to be extracted (especially as some of them have entries of their own) but I thought it best to check first. ;)

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Falling" target="_blank">London Falling @ Wikipedia

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

DavidXBrunt

About the title trivia Emperor. Si could be directly inspired by that song title but the song is inspired by the famous call sign for World War 2 Nazi propgandist William Joyce otherwise known as Lord Haw Haw. "This is London Calling".

It also brings to mind the refrain 'Londons Burning, Londons Burning, Draw Nearer, Draw Nearer' which may just be a co-incidence.

You might also want to edit it to point out that it draws on European folk tales too. Sorry for that.

Anything I posted was nicked from Wikipedia anyway so you can happily post that, maybe with a link to the original page.

Quirkafleeg

>the famous call sign for World War 2 Nazi propgandist William Joyce otherwise known as Lord Haw Haw. "This is London Calling".

Except his call sign was 'This is Germany calling.'...

DavidXBrunt

Emperor

Anything I posted was nicked from Wikipedia anyway so you can happily post that, maybe with a link to the original page.

OK cheers all done.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

House of Usher

Bugger. I got sucked into wikipedia, going to Struwwelpeter, then putting in a bit about Grant Morrison, then following the trail to Doom Patrol, found myself expanding what it said in the Scissormen article to bring it back to Struwwelpeter again, and in saving the page I lost everything I'd written, and going back got me 'page expired'. I wish I hadn't bothered now!
STRIKE !!!

Trout

Morrison's Doom Patrol was wonderful.

Byrne who?

As for the scissor references, it's all new to me and I'll have a glance at the stuff mentioned if I ever get the chance.

Cheers all!

- Trout

Emperor

Bugger. I got sucked into wikipedia, going to Struwwelpeter, then putting in a bit about Grant Morrison, then following the trail to Doom Patrol, found myself expanding what it said in the Scissormen article to bring it back to Struwwelpeter again, and in saving the page I lost everything I'd written, and going back got me 'page expired'. I wish I hadn't bothered now!

Ah I know that feeling - I always edit in Notepad.

Anyway I have updated the entry with the last page of the first installment. Thanks go to Lee for providing a scan of the original (he threw me a few but I thought that was one that really helped add extra information as it shows all the main characters) - I have dropped in a note about the final colours and it is worth comparing and contrasting the originals with the published page.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Falling" target="_blank">London Falling @ Wikipedia

Dark Jimbo

Nice work - but PEDANT ATTACK!!! It's not got aything to do with mythology, so I'd change that bit. It's strictly folklore we're dealing with here.
@jamesfeistdraws

J.Smith

And you can all thank me for starting that on Wilkipedia!! And thanks for editing it, i couldn't really be arsed finishing it!

Bad Andy

Just read the last part.

Very satisfying.

J.Smith

That's The Ten Seconders up as well now! Go me go me! :D