Main Menu

Prog 2349: Hail to the chief

Started by IndigoPrime, 09 September, 2023, 10:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Simon Fraser on cover duties. A good job, although the semi-transparent logo looks weird. Some tiny glimpses of next Prog's crossover event and we're into the end of Dredd, which plays out much as you'd expect. Bora's reactions are notable again. Everyone referring to her as a girl feels quite 1970s. The strip as a whole has been solid but for me not hit the highs of the previous two entries in this trilogy. It was more grim inevitability than having a twist. Perhaps that's Mega-City One. In one of my final visits to the X hellscape, it was interesting to see Niemand say he felt the story got away from him a couple of times. Anyway, Niemand Dredd for me still beats pretty much anyone else's Dredd.

Azimuth gives us a double dose. It's really good stuff. I also didn't see the ending coming, although there are pretty easy ways to reset that particular event if Abnett has a mind to. So, yeah, I'm coming around to this. It's still disappointing we don't have a bonkers new world in which to play indefinitely, but it provides an injection of interest into a strip I've long found tired.

The 3riller wraps up nicely. I don't think this one has legs for anything more, but it was fun while it lasted and an excellent example of the format. As a Future Shock, this would have been compressed to the point it was robbed of its pace and richness. As a six-part series, it would have been stretched. But three parts? It feels like that swig of rocket fuel (or whatever Diggle used to say) as applied to an idea that's more than a twist.

And then we get to Hershey. Again, some nice moments here. Dirty Frank in particular providing some humanity in one scene that Hershey perhaps didn't appreciate, but may have done more so during her days ahead. And the ending? Well, I imagine it's more what she would have wanted than quietly passing in a bed.

Another cracking Prog, really. Not the kind of thing you tend to see as 2000 AD gears up for a jumping-on issue. A great mix of pace and styles that really bring home the benefits of the anthology format.

Azimuth > Hershey > Dredd > 3riller – but all good, again.

Richard

I think that was the best 3riller we've had so far.

Dredd and Hershey both ended well. And we have ten pages of Azimuth, from Suzi-9mm's perspective, which I enjoyed.

I think that cover is Simon Fraser's best work!

scrotnig

That cover is amazing!

Can't wait for the actual Prog.

Barrington Boots

Another excellent Prog this week imo.

Inevitable ending in Dredd with Joe being his usual cold self. This was the weakest of the Asher trilogy but I think it was also an interesting move to make Asher slightly less sympathetic this time around. Definite Raider vibes at the end. That said this was still a very enjoyable Dredd tale from a superb creative pairing. Agree that Niemand is doing the best Dredd at the moment.

Double Azimuth with Suzi was superb. This strip has been a real up-down-up for me and it is the most invested I've been in Dex since goodness knows when. I love this new world and Suzi as a protagonist and I'd like to see it all continue, but lets see how it goes. Lots of fun characters to spot in the artwork again.

The 3riller has been really well done. Plenty of twists and turns, and as a complete tale I felt it read better for not being a pitch for an ongoing / longer strip. Lovely work.

Finally a beautifully pitched ending to Hershey. I thought this was a very strong episode, very well paced and drawn and very evocatively coloured. I wasn't happy we lost the Wagner ending for Hershey but for me, this was easily as good: the low key ending seeming more appropriate than a McGruder hail of bullets. Emotional stuff.

100% love for this Prog.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Quotethe low key ending seeming more appropriate than a McGruder hail of bullets
And yet giving Hershey agency about her ultimate end, and her doing so in the role of trying to help and protect people (notably in a 'small' way vs the 'too big' CJ position) rather than slowing dying in a bed. And, man, she got put through the grinder in this series, didn't she?

Barrington Boots

Yes, I think that was a fantastic ending personally - the agency, as you say, and the choice for her to just be finishing her days serving and protecting ordinary citizens. There's a quiet heroism about it.

I didn't enjoy the previous series with the boxing and stuff, but this one was so good I'm thinking about re-reading them and seeing if that was just me being reactionary about the series concept.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Well much like last weeks Prog Tharg has made short work of my previous whines of this run into a relaunch Prog being an example were it drags and feels poor. I mean it did for a week or two then ol' Green Noggin goes and pulls things out the bag quite superbly. All the more so 'cos this one has significent endings and two shorter term ending and they all absolutely nail it. A trick that's hard to do so to do it four for four is pretty astonishing.

Dredd - the end we were expecting, no surprises but let's be honest a surprise would have felt nothing but forced and wouldn't have worked. Asher fate was sealed from the very start. The last three parts of this story have really turned things around and added to my desire to read his tale in one go. Excellent.

But not as good as Azimuth - in a Prog of highlights this manages to stand out. Just superb. I mean really brilliant. Up there with the best of The Out, Brink and Lawless. Dabnett at his very best and boy can I not wait for this to return. Only let down is me. I'm sure I should recognise more characters in the superb art???

The 3riller is really good. I mean its the weakest ending but is still nothing short of excellent. Another element is dropped on us and yet it does feel forced, or as if it to pad the story out. It feels natural and in the end its also a big cuddle to us collecty nerd types. Fantastic.

Hershey - well its an ending done very, very well. Unlike a couple of previous episode Rob Williams doesn't say any more than needed. The art not just speaks for itself but screams poiginancy... well not so much screams as holds our hand and gives it a little squeeze as we say our sad goodbyes. Magnificent.

Wow just to think only 2 short weeks ago I was spitting curses at how this was going to be a slog to 2350. Now I can honestly say I've rarely been so impressed by a pre-relaunch Prog. Sorry Tharg I will never doubt you again... well I will, but I'll try to remember this!

The Monarch

goddammit that was a good ending for hershey

Link Prime

Two weeks behind at the moment.
Did Bobby Ewing show up at the end of Heresy?

broodblik

Quote from: Link Prime on 12 September, 2023, 12:26:21 PMDid Bobby Ewing show up at the end of Heresy?

No but England won a world cup game which everyone said they will loose
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

Although I still prefer to think of Wagner's ending as the "real" ending, I also think Rob Williams' version was very apt.

There's a thread somewhere about how Dredd should die (if he ever does), where a popular choice was that he should go out pretty much like this.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tomwe

Oh! So the transparent logo was there in an attempt to not rob the cover of its Judge helmet shaped mega-block!

IndigoPrime

Not sure that was successful. Or maybe I'm just not that observant. I didn't notice it at all until that B+W version was there.

broodblik

This was a great prog with a few fitting finales. This is the way the end a run.

Dredd – We all know where this was heading but it was a cracking good trilogy (this will make up a great collection). If have read more than a few Dredd's you should know by now that no villain last forever (PJ was maybe the exception to the rule and naturally the four dark judges)

Azimuth – At first, I was not to keen on Dexter being part of the Azimuth universe, but this was a great read. I am glad that Abnett went back to Suzie, hopefully this is not the last we see of her, and the world of Azimuth lives alongside Downlode for along time. Kudos for Tazio's excellent art. Azimuth will be back in the xmas prog.

Thriller – These stories have always been like a box of chocolates you never know what you are to get. This was one of the better thrillers. It proves that you can a start a middle part and a proper ending without needing to many episodes.

Hersey – This is a very fitting finale and I just love the low-key ending to this series. Hersey ends doing what she loves to do most: being a Judge. Great work from the creative team. Simon Fraser's art throughout this series has been phenomenal.