Main Menu

The Implications Of AI Art.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 19 May, 2023, 08:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

Well, it's here. Now anyone can create a reasonable-looking piece of art via Midjourney or various other art AI-applied programmes. This might mean disaster for artists, whose livelihood depends upon their skill at picture creation, but there appears to be no stopping the technology. I decided to make this thread for anyone with concerns or wants to throw in their opinion, artists or not. I feel it might be like Digital publishing which was once feared to be replacing books, and that didn't happen, so maybe there's a silver lining to AI-Geddon. Nothing can replace the human touch in picture-making, IMHO. 
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Trooper McFad

Will the Art droids of the future make appearances at Cons as a monitor and printer?

Type your request in and wait 5 minutes for a Dredd Head (voice activated might be possible but we all know accents could have unexpected consequences)
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

The Legendary Shark

I've been playing with the free AI art generator over at picsart.com. For someone with aphantasia, like me, it's really helpful for visualizing things I might want to write a story about. I can see it being a useful tool for me to convey ideas to an artist with regards to comic script writing but it seems a long way from me being able to feed a script in and get a finished strip out, which I would like to be able to do. Of course the ideal is to work with a proper artist, but they're generally too busy to bother with wannabes and so AI holds great potential from my perspective.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 May, 2023, 10:04:24 AM...but it seems a long way from me being able to feed a script in and get a finished strip out...

You say that, but have you considered that you can type in any description to a computer and it would do a pretty good job of producing the image you're describing when you couldn't only a year ago? I don't know how far along the sigma curve this tech is, but what you're describing may be closer than you think.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Oh yeah, it is quite good. Some of the images, though, don't make sense. Sometimes figures have too many arms, or too few, for example (at least, they do on the free one I've been playing with). But it wouldn't take much to push it into what I want it to do; the ability to save and re-use a character design or location would be the biggest part of it, I think.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

The higher-end paid tiers are much further along. I imagine it's more or less destroyed a huge chunk of the spot illustration market. But it's not ideal yet for things like comics. And there are plenty of arguments against it being used at all in that medium, beyond things like writers providing visual guides for artists for a specific frame or something (or experimenting with their own stories).

Hawkmumbler

No one let Pat Mills see this thread, he might get the impression folks actually WANT AI illustrated comics.

broodblik

There is certain things we fleshy ones must do and only us must be doing them: art and storytelling is our domain
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 19 May, 2023, 07:57:00 PMThere is certain things we fleshy ones must do and only us must be doing them: art and storytelling is our domain

No, apparently we should all be toiling in the post-Brexit fields picking fruit, while AI is generating all the poetry, fiction and art. I'll confess that it's a dystopia that even Dick and Gibson didn't see coming...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

It would be interesting to revive Crazyfoxmachine's wonderful art competition. Provide a prompt, and then let boarders provide entries. They wouldn't have to disclose whether or not they used AI until the winner was announced.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 May, 2023, 10:08:16 PMNo, apparently we should all be toiling in the post-Brexit fields picking fruit, while AI is generating all the poetry, fiction and art. I'll confess that it's a dystopia that even Dick and Gibson didn't see coming...

Orwell did:

"Julia was twenty-six years old... and she worked, as he had guessed, on the novel-writing machines in the Fiction Department. She enjoyed her work, which consisted chiefly in running and servicing a powerful but tricky electric motor... She could describe the whole process of composing a novel, from the general directive issued by the Planning Committee down to the final touching-up by the Rewrite Squad. But she was not interested in the final product. She "didn't much care for reading," she said. Books were just a commodity that had to be produced, like jam or bootlaces."

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

I've been typing the names of 2000AD stories into Picsart, so I thought we'd have a spiffing A.I. Quiz...

Can you guess the names or titles I typed in to this insane A.I. to get the following images:

No prizes - and some of them make little to no sense at all...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

This is what Dall-E came up with from the prompt "Legendary Shark"

That's an evocative internet handle/phrase, yet AI failed spectacularly.

A.Cow