Main Menu

I could have sworn I read that before....

Started by Thread Zero, 17 January, 2002, 04:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

A lot of the early stuff was just having fun I think, as Pat Mills said 'a character who would shout people for littering'.  Comics at that time had a short life and though they were enjoyin themselves I don't think any of them thought it would last.  It was just Dirty Harry taking to the extreme level.

Still you have to remember that Dredd values the law over what subjectively might be called right.

I bet is was Grants idea to Nuke East Meg...

paulvonscott

Er... SHOOT people for littering.

"The crime is murder, the sentence is SHOUTING".

I think Grant is transfering his secret fascist ideals onto judge Dredd and trying to feel pious about it*

PVS

*No, I don't.  Sounded fun though didn't it?

GordonR

>I bet is was Grants idea to Nuke East Meg...

I've never understood the need to say that Dredd's nuking of East Meg 2 proves he's a Nazi bastard.  The facts in the story are pretty clear:

It was a war.

East Meg started it.

They'd already killed 400 million citizens of Mega City One.

Despite any latter-ay Alan Grant nonsense to the contrary, Dredd's one sworn purpose in life is to protect his city and lives of its citizens.

Dredd was doing the only thing he could to end the war and save what was left of Mega City One and its inhabitants.

Seems pretty clear-out and black and white to me.

paulvonscott

Ah... no, I agree.  

I was just making a point about Alan Grant.

I've always justified Dredd killing hundreds of millions of people.

The sovs had killed 400 million.  If they hadn't done it back, then the sovs would have been able to launch another invasion on Mega City One fairly soon and probably win.
Killin millions more people in the process.  Sends a big warning to other mega cities too.

The only people I criticise are you Mega City 2 and Texas City cowards.

Matt

Ahhh, Mega City 2...whatever happened to that? Oh that's right, Dredd nuked it!