Main Menu

Moose Harris re-reads 2000AD

Started by Emperor, 01 August, 2012, 04:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

New Model Army and Damned bassist Moose Harris has started re-reading 2000AD and is blogging about it:

QuoteI've been having a very long and involved email discourse with Garth Ennis about a couple of projects we're both involved with. We've mainly been comparing notes on Battle Picture Weekly, but in the last few days the focus has shifted onto 2000AD, specifically the first 520 progs that were mostly printed on bog roll.

Garth's got a stellar memory and can recall tiny details of strips from as long as thirty-five years ago, stuff that has long-since fallen out of my head. He's got a theory that 2000AD changed fundamentally when it went onto higher quality paper and that those first 10 years' worth represent the classic run of the comic's long history.

It's been a fun exchange of opinions, and has made me yearn for those old progs, coincidentally the only ones I kept from my once 1700-strong collection when I moved house last year. So, I've decided to re-read those 520 progs, and to share a few of my favourite moments along the way. Doubtless it'll take me a long time to complete, but I'll have fun trying.

http://mooseharris.tumblr.com/post/28223709390/the-2000ad-re-read-2012-ive-been-having-a-very

As his Seven Penny Nightmare site demonstrates he knows his comicy onions and he is a long-standing member of the forum (although he hasn't posted recently, he still lurks from time-to-time - decloak and take a bow), so it is already packed with interesting detail.

Anyway dive in:

http://mooseharris.tumblr.com
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Trout

Thanks for the link, Emp.

(Modified to remove evidence that I know nothing about the Damned.)

Colin YNWA

Great stuff. Some hilarious stuff though...

... though Mr Ennis (see intro to re-read) needs to get over his first 520 issues thing, mumble, grumble, moan whine...

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 01 August, 2012, 09:37:31 AM
... though Mr Ennis (see intro to re-read) needs to get over his first 520 issues thing, mumble, grumble, moan whine...

Agreed. If Garth loves the fucking comic as much as he says he does, he could really do with bigging up something a little more current than the thirty-year-old stories he loved as a kid.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.