Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devons Daddy

i have found you tube to be a gold mine for acoustic versions by original artists.
rip, convert and upload to my ipod.

from Marc cohn to meat loaf via saxon and gerry rafferty. outstanding,
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

OpusAndBill

Boasting the efficacy of Oliver Wendell Jones' Hair Tonic.

TheEdge

Can i jyst mention for sample AWSOMENESS

IRONIK - TINY DANCER and EXAMPLE - SO MANY ROADS

Just get out the RATM or the OCS.
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Tiplodocus

BALLBOY - Songs for Kylie.

"And now I write it down, put it on a TDK in a jiffy bag..."

How many compilation tapes did you make that you thought "This will show her exactly why she should let me get into her knickers..."?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 07 October, 2009, 10:49:11 PM
How many compilation tapes did you make that you thought "This will show her exactly why she should let me get into her knickers..."?
More than a few, that's for sure!

In retrospect, maybe finishing on Husker Du's Diane (and it's haunting refrain of "I think I'll rape you and kill you instead") was a mistake.

I've got one Ballboy album somewhere. It's good in a misanthropic sort of way.
We never really die.

Dandontdare

Quote from: The Cosh on 07 October, 2009, 10:57:58 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 07 October, 2009, 10:49:11 PM
More than a few, that's for sure!

I cringe to remember one that I did which included the Two Bobs: Merley's "waiting in vain" and Dylan's "I want you". Subtle eh?  :-[

and it didn't work, amazingly.

Colin YNWA

I tuned into Later Live the other night to catch the mighty Echo and the Bunnymen and stumbled across Spaghetti Western Orchestra and would love to see more. Great fun. Loads of clips on line but I suspect that getting the chance to see them live might be the thing. Nowt near Sheffield for the moment but as soon as they do...

SuperSurfer

BBC Sound of 2010: The longlist
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8395789.stm

"Fifteen of the best rising music stars have been named on the longlist for the BBC's Sound of 2010.
The list is designed to highlight the most exciting musical talent for the coming year and the artists have been picked by 165 UK-based tastemakers."

The haircuts, the sounds. So, sooo eighties. I don't get it. As far as I'm concerned that was a crap decade for music. Why copy eighties music? Someone tell these kids to stop it. They're bringing back too many bad memories of my misspent youth, or more like unspent youth.

uncle fester

Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 September, 2009, 09:44:49 PM
Notable titles include Love/Hate's near masterpiece, 'Black Out In The Red Room'

It's like 1987 all over again!

Cheers for this dweezil! The first thing that came up on a google search is a page of all their stuff for download. Good stuff, and I can see where the Guns N Roses comparisons come in.

wild-seven

I've recently been re-discovering the joys of Idlewild (pub jukebox), Verruca Salt (flicking through my 'My Music' folder), Dandy Warhols (re-arranging my cd collection), Scott Walker (the 60's stuff, not the recent ham-slapping stuff). Oh and The Horror's first album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy6Aad2zn_o

A video with signing? Brilliant  :D
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow

Lady Festina

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 12 September, 2009, 09:53:28 PM
Bugger couldn't find the new Yo La Tengo album OR any Cud records in town this afternoon

You might find that Uncle Fester can help you with Cud records. As far as I knew, he was their only remaining fan.....

Lady Festina

Some nice eclectic indie pop plays in the background as I put out my plea to the forum:

I am addicted to cover versions. The more bizarre the better. From Paul Anka's "Jump" to Cake's "Wuthering Heights" (bested only by the Ukelele Orchestra of GB's version) to the rather splendid "The Sun Always Shines on TV" by Atrocity.

Feed my addiction!!! Any great covers out there I should know about??

HdE

Been listening to Yoko Kanno's soundtrack work over the last few days. Awesome talent. It's like somebody said to her 'we just need some backing music for Japanese Death Cartoons' and she said ' Sorry - English isn't my first language', marched into a studio with a load of muso friends and then knocked out a few albums worth of stuff. These cuts puts charting records to shame!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Zarjazzer

Husker Du and um, Roy Orbison. Perhaps not an obvious double bill. Still both great though. :cool:

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

wild-seven

QuoteFeed my addiction!!! Any great covers out there I should know about??

*consults Dr Spotify*

NIN - Dead Souls (original by Joy Division)
tATu - how soon is now?
Editors - Orange Crush (original by REM)
The Futureheads - Hounds of Love
Soft Cell - Tainted Love (original by Gloria Jones)
The Pretenders - Creep
Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
Pat Benatar - Wuthering Heights

I'm sure I can think of more!
I was going to procrastinate but I think I'll leave it till tomorrow