Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

Quote from: The Cosh on 27 November, 2011, 06:28:12 PM
Throwing Muses... As for recently discovered music, I bought this album purely on the basis of seeing it described as "Loveless without the insistent beats" which turns out to be a pretty perfect summary. Lovely stuff: Jefre Cantu-Ledesma.
I used to be nuts about Throwing Muses. Should give them a listen. Funny you mention Loveless. I bought Isn't Anything on CD yesterday. What a damn good album. Far better than Loveless in my opinion.

I, Cosh

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 27 November, 2011, 11:56:28 PM
Funny you mention Loveless. I bought Isn't Anything on CD yesterday. What a damn good album. Far better than Loveless in my opinion.
Don't know if I'd say "far better", but I've always preferred Isn't Anything too.
We never really die.

Mudcrab

Just back from a bloody marvellous night of metal in a small dingy place in the tunnels underneath the main street in lovely Aberdeen, so for anyone of that persuasion I'll submit a small review. Comes under the "discovered" side, always been into metal/music and kind of keep up with stuff within a 10 year kind of window, I mean there's freakin heaps of music out there these days, it's silly. Anyway...

Fleshgod Apocalypse - Black metal, dudes in 17th centuryish black clothes or something lol doesn't matter, very fast, kind of operatic, cheesy but well aware of it kind of thing. Great stuff.

Skeletonwitch - Late 80s thrash/death style, solid, tight, constant buzz stuff. If you like Slayer etc you'd love it. They fucking love it, music for themselves, always the best.

The Black Dahlia Murder - I f you're still reading, you might know who Raging Speedhorn are, maybe . It's like that, metal as fuck, like (US) hardcore but more on the metal side, but anyway, just bouncin! Got a few bruises from the pit, we did them proud.

So yeah, not been into any of them before but you have to grab nights like these when they appear in these grim dark northern places. 41 and still in the pit lol \m/
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Gonk

coming at a cinema near you soon

Gonk

R.E.M. "Fast Automatic for the People" ... more designer misery... but some good tune nevertheless

Colin YNWA

Funnily enough I listened to REM's 'Document' this weekend. Have to say given it used to be my favourite REM album I was pretty disappointed.

Gonk

Colin YNWA

1987. Don't get me wrong its a good record, but not the great one I remember. In places it felt a little... twee.

ICONIC_TM

A Throw back to,  Invaders Must Die ! Prodigy :)

Gonk

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 23 January, 2012, 10:22:37 AM
1987. Don't get me wrong its a good record, but not the great one I remember. In places it felt a little... twee.

I know what you mean. It's not just R.E.M. who are guilty of that though, I find that tweeness in one form or another in most albums I hear. Like shit and taxes you can't seem to avoid it. Unless your name's Tony Bliar. Giving Monster and New Adventures in Hi-Fi a listen now. Again, the albums aren't perfect but there is really top notch song writing going on there. I don't know why the albums aren't consistent, it could be down to laziness on the artists or producers?

Gonk

ICONIC_TM

Gonk

:D coolio!

Not so cool haircuts : Rush 2112.

"we are the priests of the temples of syrinx, our great computers fill the hallowed halls"