Main Menu

Meg 424 - Thirty Megnificent Years

Started by jrdd, 13 September, 2020, 02:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrdd

It feels a bit rude starting the thread, not having contributed to the reviews before...  Hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes, but I couldn't sit on my hands any longer - I reckon it's a stunning issue!

On initial flick-through I was a little disappointed at the lack of anniversary features, but, having read the issue, Matt's definitely made the right call:  The Meg just full to the brim doing what it does best, and I came away realising such features would not have added much value (so much has been said already).  The features we do have are a welcome Dave Hunt interview (including a page of photo-strip era Doomlord!) and a preview of the Battle Special (it sounds great too...).

The 2000AD Encyclopaedia is just sort of there with not much of an explanation.  It's clearly well produced, but I don't see that it's the sort of thing I will sit down and read each month.  In collected book form it has more appeal as a useful reference perhaps, at least until the following prog appears and makes it out-of-date  ;).  My favourite use of the floppy is for exploring the depths of the Treasury of British Comics archive, an interesting curiosity at the very least and uncovering the odd hidden gem at its best.

I'm not going to comment on individual strips, they all bring so much in their own way and have definitely got me looking forward to seeing where they go over the next few issues.  I must just give a mention to Dan Abnett who uses a style of story telling on Lawless that I thought was a brave move to sustain for 20 pages, but of course he steers it along with ease.

In some ways I'm a reluctant Meg reader, only coming on board for the Judgement Day crossover and drifting away until the following Wilderlands crossover, and yet here I am commenting on its 30th anniversary as a now long-time subscriber (you see Mr. Bishop, if you're reading, proof that the crossover strategy worked...).  Having seen a few low periods, and many re-launches, it's fantastic to see the Meg still around for its 30th and in such fine form.  Thanks to all involved over the years.  :thumbsup:

(By the way, does anyone else's art print show last issue's cover again?  Was quite looking forward to having one of this issue's great Greg Staples cover.  Not that I don't appreciate Cliff and Dylan's cover of course!)

broodblik

Quote from: jrdd on 13 September, 2020, 02:39:23 PM
It feels a bit rude starting the thread, not having contributed to the reviews before...  Hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes, but I couldn't sit on my hands any longer - I reckon it's a stunning issue!

First come first serve  :thumbsup:
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

Yes anyone can start a review thread, it's a race!

dweezil2

In some ways I'm a reluctant Meg reader, only coming on board for the Judgement Day crossover and drifting away until the following Wilderlands crossover, and yet here I am commenting on its 30th anniversary as a now long-time subscriber (you see Mr. Bishop, if you're reading, proof that the crossover strategy worked...).  Having seen a few low periods, and many re-launches, it's fantastic to see the Meg still around for its 30th and in such fine form.  Thanks to all involved over the years.  :thumbsup:

Have to agree with this.

I picked up the odd Meg in its first year, but it was the Wilderlands crossover epic that got me reading regularly and ultimately subscribing, many years later!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Swerty

Wonderful cover.Feel free to start a Prog 2199 thread

davidbishop

you see Mr. Bishop, if you're reading, proof that the crossover strategy worked...

Bwa-ha-ha! My opportunistic marketing spivery worked!

scrotnig

Quote from: dweezil2 on 13 September, 2020, 03:42:01 PM

I'm another who only started getting The Meg for Wilderlnads, and then I just stuck with it.
Have to agree with this.

I picked up the odd Meg in its first year, but it was the Wilderlands crossover epic that got me reading regularly and ultimately subscribing, many years later!

scrotnig

Have to agree with this.

I'm another who only started getting The Meg for Wilderlands, and then I just stuck with it.

JimmyNailz

Happy Big Three-Oh to the Meg!

Dredd - action packed opener! Look forward to the rest of this one. I feel like its going to have big repercussions for Judge Beeney.

Megatropolis - I'm always enjoy an alt-universe and so absolutely LOVED this brand new thrill. Dreddworld meets Batman The Animated Series in style. Loads of cameos from alternative reality versions of characters we know and love/hate. Brilliant stuff!

Dreadnoughts: Breaking Ground - I'm a big fan of the JUDGES novellas so am thrilled to see more of the early years of the Justice Department in the Meg.  Chillingly on the nose.

Anderson Psi Division:  I must confess, I'm a bit lost to who is who in the Psi Div corner of Mega City One, but managed to keep up with this story.  Better than recent Anderson tales, and nice to have a single episode story, but I wasn't totally enamoured with it.

The Returners - As a recent Meg subscriber, I'm not 100% certain what the deal is with The Returners. Is it that they have their minds wiped then get sent on missions/heists? (I should probably just google this).  Anyway, besides, being uncertain as to the goings-on, I enjoyed this. Lovely art. Zingy dialogue. And always enjoy a story set in Brit Cit.

Deliverance - Always nice to have the Dark Judges return.  There is one particular Judge Death panel that is visually revolting but balanced out with a nice bit of humour, which is how I prefer my horror. Gorgeously grotesque!

Lawless - This is very much a personal, subjective thing, but I really don't like it when songs are used in comics, so an entire musical episode was a bit much for me (curse you Buffy The Vampire Slayer!!!!). I just can't decide on a tune in my head and this one has several songs within it.  I ended up reading most of it to the tune of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious from Mary Poppins (expect the rap bit).  All that aside, the art is still incredible and for a musical episode it was done well, just not my cuppa tea.

Looking forward to Battle Of Britain and enjoyed the Dave Hunt interview (I'm currently reading The Mighty One by Steve Macmanus, so it was nice to get a slightly different perspective of that same era)

I too got last months print included, but don't mind too much (though this months cover definitely warrants a frame)

My Meg story, is that I remember getting the first few issues and picking up occasional ones for crossover stories, but only subscribed fairly recently when I caught up with Lawless.

Bolt-01

Did any of the other Subbers get 'last' months cover as the art card or was it just me?

JimmyNailz

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 14 September, 2020, 10:42:51 AM
Did any of the other Subbers get 'last' months cover as the art card or was it just me?

I did too (as did someone posting above). Shame, coz this months cover was particularly zarjaz!

Magnetica

Mine has just arrived and yes the print is last month's.

I am looking forward to reading the encyclopaedia. I much prefer that to a reprint of something I already have.

dweezil2

Quote from: scrotnig on 14 September, 2020, 02:30:36 AM

Have to agree with this.

I'm another who only started getting The Meg for Wilderlands, and then I just stuck with it.

We should start our own subgroup, "The Wilderlands Gang!":thumbsup: :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

broodblik

I am not a big fan of cross-overs but if it can gain audience then so much better
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.