Main Menu

Alan Moore thinks you're a prick!

Started by Frank, 11 September, 2013, 09:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: I, Cosh on 21 December, 2018, 10:06:38 AM
Will he still think I'm a prick if I promise to go and see this film he's making?

According to IMDB, Moore plays a character called Frank. How dirty Frank will be is a question of interest to readers of 2000ad.

JOE SOAP

The BFI's Ten Biggest Production Awards Of 2018:

£900,000: The Show

Graphic novel supremo Alan Moore's (Watchmen) latest creation stars Tom Burke (War And Peace), Siobhan Hewlett (Show Pieces) and Ellie Bamber (Nocturnal Animals). Mitch Jenkins (Show Pieces) is directing from Moore's script. The Gothic fantasy follows Fletcher Dennis (Burke) who has been hired to track down a stolen artefact, an investigation that brings him into contact with the most unusual and dangerous elements in Moore and Jenkins' hometown Northampton.

https://deadline.com/2018/12/henry-golding-keira-knightley-liam-neeson-bfi-ten-biggest-production-awards-2018-women-directors-two-debuts-1202524538/

Professor Bear

I like how many professional comics writers - IE: Christos Gage, Gerry Conway, Mark Guggenheim - come from a tv background in shows like Law & Order: SVU and are never pulled up on the fact that they make their living writing weekly stories about rape that are watched by millions more people than will ever read a comic book by Alan Moore*, yet it's the bearded one's critics who fetishise are fixated on the use of sexual assault in some of his work.

The only time I saw fit to criticise its use, I was almost immediately pulled up on it by some huge nerd from this very board telling me the specific instance I cited was in fact a reference to a classic poem from some 13th century literary canon because it's Alan Moore so of course it was.  After that I decided to think a bit more carefully about wading into what now seems (at best) to be an attempt by some comics geeks to pidgeonhole a versatile range of work to one or two talking points.

* I am vaguely curious about the Venn showing overlap in SVU viewers and readers of the likes of Chat, Take A Break, That's Life, etc, which are light-hearted supermarket tabloid magazines I have to buy for elderly female relatives and which seem obsessed with murder and sexual assault.

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 December, 2018, 02:31:55 PM
I like how many professional comics writers - IE: Christos Gage, Gerry Conway, Mark Guggenheim - come from a tv background in shows like Law & Order: SVU and are never pulled up on the fact that they make their living writing weekly stories about rape that are watched by millions more people than will ever read a comic book by Alan Moore*, yet it's the bearded one's critics who fetishise are fixated on the use of sexual assault in some of his work.

The only time I saw fit to criticise its use, I was almost immediately pulled up on it by some huge nerd from this very board telling me the specific instance I cited was in fact a reference to a classic poem from some 13th century literary canon because it's Alan Moore so of course it was.  After that I decided to think a bit more carefully about wading into what now seems (at best) to be an attempt by some comics geeks to pidgeonhole a versatile range of work to one or two talking points.

* I am vaguely curious about the Venn showing overlap in SVU viewers and readers of the likes of Chat, Take A Break, That's Life, etc, which are light-hearted supermarket tabloid magazines I have to buy for elderly female relatives and which seem obsessed with murder and sexual assault.

I never understand why certain people are happy to read endless tales where people are murdered (571 in the UK in 2017) but claim somebody is fixated if rape or sexual assault are mentioned (half a million in the UK in 2017).  Approximately one in one hundred thousand people in the UK will die by murder.  Approximately one in five women will be raped.  Why does highlighting the prevalence of rape in our culture lead to accusations against those doing the highlighting?

Professor Bear

Leaving aside that I'm on record complaining bitterly about the use of murder in entertainment and in particular the skyrocketing bodycounts of modern comics until the very concepts of death and civilian casualties become meaningless, I thought I was pretty clear my amusement in this instance lies with the transparently geeky motivations for suddenly being woke about the treatment of sexual assault in Western comics.
If you're a fundraiser for RAINN, I perfectly understand your investment in awareness, but if you read Western comics and the only time you ever mention a very serious subject is when it can be weaponised against a certain individual, that doesn't seem to me to be an attempt to raise awareness about it, that's clearly just a way to exploit it to attack someone.

Tjm86

"One death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic."  Iosef Visarionovich Dzughashevili

Frank

Happy 66th birthday, you fantastic weirdo.