Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Bear (PhD) on 29 January, 2015, 02:22:39 PM
I decided I wouldn't bother with 4, though, as I was told that the head of development was so up his own arsehole he wouldn't allow the X button to be remapped or trophies to be added.  The 90 minute final cutscene also doesn't sound very appealing.

And yet its a very entertaining game- worth a look if you enjoyed the previous installments.

Didn't figure you as a trophy hooer Prof, but they did patch them a while back for MGS4; http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/08/03/metal-gear-solid-4-ps3-trophies-revealed/

Theblazeuk

Quote from: CheechFU on 28 January, 2015, 10:01:08 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 28 January, 2015, 12:03:01 PM
I'm not clear on how 'foreign' is a bad quality for voice acting when it's set in Turkey.

(Not being able to change button config = ARGH).

Oh and Link, give it up! Bad games are not worth your time if you do not enjoy them.

They all sound like Esteban Winsmore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZERGog8oegg

Heh! Second Life is weird.

Satanist

Quote from: Bear (PhD) on 29 January, 2015, 02:22:39 PM...The 90 minute final cutscene also doesn't sound very appealing.

I completed the game at about 2am and promptly fell asleep during that scene so have no idea what the ending was and I have zero interest in checking it out on youtube.

I really enjoyed the PS4 prologue as it does away with most of the watching and just lets you fuck about as you please. I have no interest in the next in the series though.

Oh and Psycho Mantis is the best boss fight evah!!!!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

NapalmKev

C.O.D Advanced Warfare: Zombies

Any of you who've played Zombies on the Black-Ops games will be more than aware of the concept, but for those who don't know...

4 people against a never ending horde of Flesh-eaters; with various Weapons and Power-ups.

This is an Adaption on Treyarch's tried and tested formula, and it's a very good effort. I will use Spoilers now for anyone who's going to be getting this.

[spoiler]The level is set in a Research Facility run by Atlas Corporation.. One of the biggest differences in gameplay is the inclusion of the Exo-Suit, giving the player various abilities like Double-jump and upgrading the stab to a more powerfull Punch. Other abilities can be purchased, most of which are renamed/rehashes of Perks from Treyarch Zombies.

The double-jump does add whole new dimension to the gameplay (literally) which is just as well, "Herding" isn't much of an option any more as the Zombies now have Exo-Suits, and most of them run like mad bastards on Steroids and punch like Champion Boxers.

TheMystery Box has been given a modern makeover and is now a 3D Printer (that makes working metal weapons? The future certainly is bright), and the Pack-a-Punch machine is markedly different. Uprades now cost 2500 and a single weapon can be ugraded up to 20 times. A good addition is that if you die you can regain your upgraded weapon (as long as it was purchased from the Wall).[/spoiler]

I've only had a few goes but the new game mechanics work very well indeed, offering a fresh take on an old (but good) format!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

shaolin_monkey

Talking of zombies, is anyone playing Dying Light? I'm still getting to grips with the gameplay, but it's a beautiful game. The landscapes are stunning, and the playing area is vast!

The Enigmatic Dr X

So, I'm playing Evil Within. You know what it reminds me of?

A late 1980s arcade shooter.

That might not be the vibe they were going for, but the gameplay is identical: start a level, make slow progression, memorise the bad-guys, then do a clear run and grab all the power ups without getting hurt.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but not horror.
Lock up your spoons!

ThryllSeekyr

Now that I have cleared enough space on both drives...I have reinstalled.....

Alien Isolation!

Middle-Earth - Shadow of Mordor!

Civ (Whatever number it is now!) - Beyond Earth

Bio-Shock...the very first game in that series!

Dead-Island!

Rust!

DayZ!

Plus some other less important games, but it's those listed above that I had already started play and recording on video to be uploaded to You-Tube.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 31 January, 2015, 09:42:14 AM
Talking of zombies, is anyone playing Dying Light? I'm still getting to grips with the gameplay, but it's a beautiful game. The landscapes are stunning, and the playing area is vast!

Getting quite tempted by this because it does look like I'd enjoy it, but then Dead Island pulled me in too and I wound up really, really not liking it. This looks a lot like more of that so not sure!

I just polished off the last achievements on Alien: Isolation last night, including the one for getting through a full playthrough with no deaths. Adding that objective really, really added to the tension, properly pulse-pounding, sweaty-palmed, nerve-shredding gameplay getting through that! Very chuffed to have done it. Reminded me of doing the Dead Space 2 hardcore run (the one that limits you to I think one save for the whole game), just intense.

Theblazeuk

I don't understand meta-achievements. By which I mean, I understand not killing person X, stealing everything undetected, etc - roleplaying your character or achieving a different outcome to a situation. I even kind of understand the GTA open-world stuff where it's fly under x bridges, it drives you to do something cool. Older games seemed to reward you with unlocks, special weapons/costumes etc... nowadays it flashes up on your screen.

But not "Congratulations you opened 5 doors! Here is a badge".
Which is by far what most achievements seem to be. Arkham games are particularly bad for this. "Achievement unlocked: You moved out of the first area."

Professor Bear

I think the awards list in the last Walking Dead game I played were spot-on, as you got achievements for managing to make it through the game without quitting forever and going off and playing something that wasn't completely boring.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 02 February, 2015, 09:50:31 AM

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 31 January, 2015, 09:42:14 AM

Getting quite tempted by this because it does look like I'd enjoy it, but then Dead Island pulled me in too and I wound up really, really not liking it. This looks a lot like more of that so not sure!

Dying Light did look a lot like Dead Island and that Dead Rising (Or is that Undead Rising?) , but more improved with extra bells n whistles!

Which is why interested in playing this one too!

I just polished off the last achievements on Alien: Isolation last night, including the one for getting through a full playthrough with no deaths. Adding that objective really, really added to the tension, properly pulse-pounding, sweaty-palmed, nerve-shredding gameplay getting through that! Very chuffed to have done it. Reminded me of doing the Dead Space 2 hardcore run (the one that limits you to I think one save for the whole game), just intense.

That's another game I haven't finished yet. Dead Space played late at nigh until early the next day on the PS3 and felt unsettled the entire time I played it.

Those things.....

I got as far as the morgue in the second or third level and could not progress beyond that point, because I think either selected the wrong upgrades or wasn't being frugal enough with the health packs along the way.

I got the engineer fellow the enter the room filled with corpses on tables and there is this other room inside with glass walls or windows. I hear some glass breaking as one of those flying things....Infectors does it's thing to one of the corpses and they both come through the glass and attack.

I attack the animated corpse never kill it in time before the iInfector gets him. Sometimes, it re-animates other corpses while I'm killing the first one, and sometimes I attack Infector first and the other corpse gets the jump on me while this happens.

I think I will just start the game again!

It's definitely creepy  :o

JamesC

Yesterday I completed my play through of The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

In general I really like the Zelda games but I have a few reservations: The boss battles aren't very fun, there are occasional lapses in logic making certain objectives painfully obscure, too much bollocks talk from secondary characters which needs to be scrolled through.

In light of all that I'd say ALBW is probably one of my favourites in the franchise. Most of the boss battles, while not being particularly fun, are quite short and easy. The puzzles are engaging but not too obscure and the secondary characters keep things fairly concise.
Another major plus point is that the dungeons can pretty much be completed in any order which reduces the 'what am I supposed to do now?' factor. Also, the map is fairly small so backtracking isn't too much of a pain.

All in all, I'd say this was a really fun adventure. It doesn't feel as epic as many of the other games in the series but, if you're anything like me, that could be seen as a positive.

Link Prime

I just polished off the last achievements on Alien: Isolation last night, including the one for getting through a full playthrough with no deaths. Adding that objective really, really added to the tension, properly pulse-pounding, sweaty-palmed, nerve-shredding gameplay getting through that! Very chuffed to have done it.

Impressive stuff Keef.
I saw this on the trophies list and thought "no way". I might more easily achieve the trophy for dying 100 times!  :lol:

BTW- I'm currently on chapter 13 after a 20 hour splurge at the weekend.
Absolutely brilliant- I haven't been this hooked on a game in years.

Keef Monkey

It really is great, I've played through 4 times and have started dipping into the challenge levels that came out as DLC, can't get enough of it. Good to see more people enjoying it, really seems a bit of a marmite experience.

For the no deaths thing I have to admit that there were three or four times where things started to go South and I knew I was a goner so paused and reloaded my save which helped! There's a lot of scope for instant death in that game though so it was pretty intense, really got the blood going.

Theblazeuk

Bah, I was doing well for that challenge until the wife started asking me questions about aromatherapy equipment (which I obviously don't know) and ended up just walking straight into the beast due to having to take my headphones off....