Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheechFU

I've been playing the Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2.
So far I've been mostly sending assassins to murder Aegon Targaryens wife every time he gets married, he's run out of family members to marry now.

ThryllSeekyr

Didn't he marry a few dragons?

Tiplodocus

Finally finished Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS. (I actually borrowed Tiny Tips' shiny New 3DS XL for the last couple of chapters. I was so impressed, I'm going to get one with some reward vouchers I just received at work).

What a great game; very clever use of the ship environment to move you from promenade decks, to claustrophobic corridors, to flooded bilges to majestic ballrooms without startling narrative jumps.  In fact, I liked the ship so much that I started to object to them taking me to other locations (as flash backs or flash sideways episodes).

The plot, "twists" and dialogue, of course, are terrible and draws multiple groans - especially the sudden appearance [spoiler]of a THIRD SHIP.  Why was this never mentioned in all the documents that talked about the Xenobia and her sister ship?[/spoiler]  And the very final boss, Norman, seemed to come out of thin air. Was down to my last five rifle bullets when I took him down!

But really enjoyable mix of puzzly shooty action - which is probably a disappointment for proper survival horror fans  - but just right for me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Satanist

Just nicely timed for the sequel Tips  :D

Bloodborne - Platinum trophy get! Big fire beasty in the 2nd last Chalice dungeon is by far an away the toughest enemy in the game. There's nothing I can say that hasn't been said so just buy this if you have a PS4.

The Unfinished Swan - I would barely consider this a game but as its only about 2 hours long, tells a nice wee fairytale and as a tech demo its quite incredible I would say give it a bash.

Back to the Future - A point and click adventure based on BttF should be exciting and full of many puzzles which are solved with time-travel related shenanigans just like Day of the Tentacle back in the day. This isn't and is quite the snoozefest so far. I am disappointed with this one.

So I reckon next is Demons Souls - Wish me luck  :)
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Satanist on 12 May, 2015, 05:25:45 PM

Back to the Future - A point and click adventure based on BttF should be exciting and full of many puzzles which are solved with time-travel related shenanigans just like Day of the Tentacle back in the day. This isn't and is quite the snoozefest so far. I am disappointed with this one.

This is one of the Tell-Tale - Point N Click collection. After purchasing this years ago, I then played it a few days afterward and would leave it be until I had completed the whole game. I think it was four or five episodes which I had paid for all at once. I think this game is a utterly brilliant addition to the original movie trilogy and I only had to watch a video walk through of the part [spoiler]where Marty McFly had a guitar play-of with his girl friends other significant other in one of those alternate time dimension in the future that never would have happened, but did since they had messed around in the past involving the Doc when he was just a teenager. Which reminds me, I had to look up how to attract the attention of his dad (I think it was his own dad, or his dad's father???) when he was working for the father of school bully from the first film who turned out to be a Gangster during the nineteen forties section of the game. (One of the best episodes!) One of my favourite parts was when they had to get Biff Senior's (When he was Gangster!) then girlfriend to sing her night club song (It was one of those private clubs, just for the criminal fraternity!) using lyrics provided by some prudish lady involved in politics (I forget what they are called now and she turns out to be a villain in another part of the game!.....) and the love interest of the Doc.  They was so many clever instances where you had to keep them from bump in into their own double to avoid some time paradox, that actually happened a few time I think. Most for the game was set in the same town square as well.
[/spoiler]

This game deserves a sequel or even another series if they can write one for it and a reason why Tell-Tale should make more games. I still haven't invested in the rest of their Walking Dead and now Game of Thrones.....

Bit of trivia..... did you know the fellow who did the voice work for Marty was some very good voice impersonator for Michael J. Fox  for obvious reasons, but I think [Michael may be ion the way to recovery from that mental impairment... it did seem he was slowly coming back during his last sitcom.

CheechFU

The Enigmatic Dr X

Finished Walking Dead season 2 last night.

It did a good job of emulating the programme, in that it was poo faced, over earnest and, ultimately, dull.

This was too much like an interactive movie. Towards the end, I surfed the net using Steam's built in browser while listening to the characters endlessly whine.

I did a lot of thinking while playing, and came to the view this is a Western equivalent of a Japanese interactive novel. Certainly, for all the good reviews, this was less interactive than The Seventh Guest.

I worry about gaming. It just seems to be a cynical revision of the Hollywood template, with little actual "game" and no choice. There are some exceptions, sure, like (paradoxically) GTA but for the main it's all corridor controlled stuff. Unless you are Nintendo. But no one buys Nintendo stuff.
Lock up your spoons!

ThryllSeekyr

Finally, I have uploaded one of my recent Skyrim video....

Unfortunitely, it's not the first one I made, and my Orc Mage/Assasin is seen to be wandering around the plains west of White-Run after completely missing the path way to the Abandoned Barrow where he was meant to retrieve some trinket for a shope-keeper in Riverwood which he had just cleared out, mostly.....

I will starting another thread seperate to this one for all my Skyrim videos alone.

Once I have the first one uploaded.

it's not good one either....my Orc died going to the same vampire cave numerous times and the same random location a few times as well , and then some other times doing some other things also.

here is the one from last Sunday

Theblazeuk

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 18 May, 2015, 07:36:26 AM

It did a good job of emulating the programme, in that it was poo faced, over earnest and, ultimately, dull.

This was too much like an interactive movie. Towards the end, I surfed the net using Steam's built in browser while listening to the characters endlessly whine.

I did a lot of thinking while playing, and came to the view this is a Western equivalent of a Japanese interactive novel. Certainly, for all the good reviews, this was less interactive than The Seventh Guest.

I worry about gaming. It just seems to be a cynical revision of the Hollywood template, with little actual "game" and no choice. There are some exceptions, sure, like (paradoxically) GTA but for the main it's all corridor controlled stuff. Unless you are Nintendo. But no one buys Nintendo stuff.

I really enjoyed it, but I didn't feel it was as strong as the first game. Largely because of the lack of ultimate agency in Kenny's decline and the ludicrous final decision. But by the end, when I said goodbye to [spoiler]Kenny[/spoiler], I was happy to have seen that journey no matter how sad I found it. But it was more of a novel with two readings and a few mid-chapter differences than a game - something I'm ok with.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 18 May, 2015, 09:19:45 PM

I really enjoyed it, but I didn't feel it was as strong as the first game. Largely because of the lack of ultimate agency in Kenny's decline and the ludicrous final decision. But by the end, when I said goodbye to [spoiler]Kenny[/spoiler], I was happy to have seen that journey no matter how sad I found it. But it was more of a novel with two readings and a few mid-chapter differences than a game - something I'm ok with.

I'm fine with the Telltale set-up too, although I do miss their earlier puzzlier games (even the first couple of episodes of TWD had some light puzzling which was nice). Now they really have gone fully for the interactive telly show thing, but they do it well.

Saying that, Season 2 didn't really grip me the way Season 1 did. My investment seemed to drift a lot over the last episodes. But then, I really didn't want a second season anyway (I loved the ambiguous ending of the first season so much I was actually disappointed when they said they'd be continuing the story of those characters).

Maybe more just burnout with TWD, as I've been really enjoying their Borderlands and Game of Thrones episodes.

Tiplodocus

But no one buys Nintendo stuff.

Except me. New 3DS XL purchased with two free games (Dead Or Alive: DDimensions and Prof Layton and Miracle Mask) and I also got Prof Layton and Spectre's Call and Mass Effect 3 for the Wii U.

I appreciate the 4GB micro SD card, the Super Stable 3D, bigger screen, faster processor etc. and it finally looks like the 3DS should have looked when it launched (not as glaring as the transition between DS and DS Lite though; the original DS looked like it was a working prototype that somebody rushed into production).

Some funny decisions though; not sure I like the new position of the Power button and should the micro SD card really be hidden behind a screw off plate?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Enigmatic Dr X

I have all the Wii U exclusives and love them all. I'm playing Bayonetta, Lego City and Smash Melee.

Plus too much Mario Kart.

It's the fact you can play these things with your children that helps. Well, not Bayonetta.
Lock up your spoons!

Satanist

Well I've promised the boys I'll set them up online with the Wii-U this weekend so hope to see you all on Mario-kart.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

J.Smith

No mention of The Witcher 3? What madness is this!? Yeah, if you're a fan of action RPG's, story-driven games or huge open worlds, then you might want to pick this up, regardless of whether or not you've played the previous two. As a big fan of the last two, which are a couple of my favourite games period, I've been amazed by how this one has far surpassed them in every respect. Still only in the first major area of the game (which feels really vast but, compared to the three main areas the game takes place in, is actually tiny, which is ridiculous) but if the rest are as incredibly detailed as this with amazing quests of their own then I can safely say that this is easily one of the greatest games ever made without a doubt.