Main Menu

Does My Figure look big in this?

Started by Trooper McFad, 09 April, 2021, 09:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Fantastic I might have an idea for next year's addition to my Christmas Tat.

I was wondering what I could do for next year as my tree is getting pretty full.

Won't be Fatties though. I'll have to pop in to my local Hobby craft and check out the size and quality
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Trooper McFad

Well for those that have been patiently waiting for the unboxing since Gene the Hackman was "released" for pre order! Wait no longer
But before we get to the pictures which as usual are primed, base coated & finished I'll do the talkie bit for you fellow modellers out there.

The base figure is the Hulk which is one of a big batch of figures I got off Eballs (currently working on another 4 in various states of completion)

Because it has movable arms and spinning fists I thought that this would be perfect for Gene and his blades.
All the add ons apart from his backpack are made from milliput with the backpack made from air drying clay. Everything molded into rough shape then carved and sanded into the final shape.
You may notice that the blades in his hands stick out a little from the fists. This was a last minute adjustment as they couldn't spin in his right hand due to the armour so I had to make both fists the same.

For the paint job I held back a little on my usual washing and dry brush technique as I wanted a more toy feeling, the stripes were a problem as my brush work is not that steady so I had an option of painting a blue base coat & pin stripe on top before painting over and then removing afterwards (this was going to be my preferred option but to stop the blue pealing off I was going to try to spray paint an under coat of blue. However as I had the idea of Boxing Gene for the Advent I didn't have the time (too cold to spray paint outside prior to Christmas and I don't have a garage) I decided to pin stripe over the base coat and then followed the lines with an appropriate colour of blue. It's not perfect but it works for me.
The biggest issue I have now is that there's pinch points where his arms move which scrapes away some of the paint. So as much as I really like the fact his arms move I have to think carefully if I want to do more figures with moving parts.

Hope you enjoy the Hackman as much as me.

JohnW

When you gave us our first look at this, the only hint I could discern that this wasn't a factory-made piece was the buckle on Gene's cross-strap.
Just one little buckle that didn't quite look 100% professional. That's it.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

lincnash

Hulk Smash! uh uh ... Gene Slash, get whet in Auxtralia!
You have a fantastic eye for detail T.Mc.F. and the hands are not that shaky that it doesn't translate well to your painted work.
You would have to assume that the Abnett or Elson droids would think your physical creation of their printed works is ZARZAZOSITY in all it's ZARJAZNESS! (if they lurk the forum).
:-)

Trooper McFad

Thanks guys I'm just glad others appreciate the final outcomes. Even my long suffering wife was impressed when Gene was in his box.

How's the Mean project coming on LincnashOZ?

Still waiting for those helm & Bagman pics.

lincnash

No progress on Mean with the Silly Season in full swing.
Add in the fact that the Southern Radback has had 30 and close to 40 Deg.C. temp's since Xmas Eve, we've only just had a cool change come through, so too bloody hot and uncomfortable for modelling even with Air Con.

I used to post my 3A figures and custom 1/12 prolifically in the 3A thread when they were in business.
Just checked my old posts and they are gone into the ether, used to pic host with tinypic.com but all those pics have expired :-( (Too silly to save most on my HDD).

Only found 3 pics of Rogue in HDD, already shown my Fire/DJ's pics and cannot find any of Fink.
Currently shopping around for a better Meg-pixel phone/camera to post some decent pics.

;-)
First pic is from my old 9M digi camera and much better clarity, other 2 are phone pics in good light but turn out dark.

Trooper McFad

Thanks for posting those. I had considered going down the action man/ GI Joe figure and spray paint him blue but tossed a coin and continued with models.

Your guy looks great how did you create helm, gunner & Bagman?

lincnash

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 28 December, 2022, 07:31:04 PM
...considered going down the action man/ GI Joe figure and spray paint him blue but ...
I have also collected Action Man as long as Progs.
To chop and paint a vintage A.M. and shave the flock hair to make a Mohawk, would be sacrilege ;-)
Here is a few of my holy grail A.M. items.
Eagle Eyes, Blue undies (pants) Action Man wearing the SAS Underwater Attack scuba set (complete) and off course he needs a cool ride, the SAS Beach-head Assault set (also complete with all items and raft tent/cover).

The only bit non-vintage/genuine AM is the rubber vest to the scuba suit perished into composite atoms, so a 1/6 scale female long sleeve T-shirt fits nice and tight to resemble the scuba vest.
ZARZAZ!!!

lincnash

Rouge: 1/12 scale action figure by VORTEX TOYS from the YEW Series (3A bootleg figure, naughty-naughty, 3A gave them a 'cease and desist' letter and they went bust).
I like how the 1/12 figure is not 'muscle bound' like most action figures.
Regular gym fit and toned body type like a 'real life' soldier, suits the Rogue custom really well and reminds me of Steve Dillon's (RIP) version of Rogue, my fave.
Best part was using a industrial bastard file to shape the mohawk.

Amusing interlude:-
https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/files/how-did-bastard-files-get-their-name

Helm: Mostly scratch-built and a bit of repurposing.
In collecting Action Man, I found a pair of larger toy size (not 1/6 AM size), real rubber gumboots (Welly's) mixed in a bundle lot I purchased.
The toe section on each boot had the right texture and curve's, so just spoke to me and said "I can be the two halves of Helm".
Much like Hulk whispered to you = "psst Troop - I'm actually Gene the Hackman screaming to get out".
Fine details and bio-chip applied with model sprue, heated and stretched to appropriate diameter and angles.

Bagman: Mostly scratch-built from model sprue and left over 1/35 Panzer armoured plates to form the 'basic rectangular' shape of the backpack.

Gunnar: Scratch-built using a repurposed 1/12 scale sniper rifle, acrylic sheet from a business shirt pack and the ever reliable model sprue.
Chopped scope and magazine from rifle, discarded butt and barrel, heated clear acrylic sheet and formed the outer shield of gunner (there's a visible seam in close-ups arrrgggh!), hide chopped rifle with pistol-grip inside, sprue for butt frame, barrel, sight etc. Add scope and mag and apply my favourite Humbrol enamel paints because I find them easy to work with (and I'm cheap and don't throw away anything).
;-)

lincnash

Ratty came from a Ultimate Soldier 1/6 Vietnam Tunnel Rat boxed set.
Fink is a 3A Judge Death sans fabric uniform (donated to custom Judge Fire), helmet removed and donated to custom Mean for the shiny steel dome, headsculpt heavily modified into Fink's nose-less and grinning lip-less smile then bulging eyes from sprue.
Hair from a paint brush.
Bowler hat, spiked mace, stone club, pizen bottles, straps etc. scratch built from sprue, actual twigs and any other 'strappy things' I could find lying about.
Oh The hands and dagger were stolen from vintage ReAction Durham Red while his pouch is a repurposed 1/6 ww2 US first aid pouch weathered and painted 2000AD colours.

I still need to collect some sand from the local beach for my metal mini's basing needs.
I'll take Fink n' Ratty down and see if the Radback golden sands remind him of the Cursed Earth type (will provide pics when I pull my finger out and find a can of motivation).

Trooper McFad

Thanks Linc

Fink & Ratty are brilliant

Love the info on how you created all the figures & items especially how you repurpose other items to create tooth items.

Keep up the good work 😁

lincnash

I guess if my initial pics of chopping up Marvel Legends Punisher as a donor for a custom Mean, was "Mean on 1!".
After the first round of dry brushing I've hit "Mean up to 2!"
I've learnt I could while away the hours dry brushing a 6" action figure (large enough for this ageing droids failing optic circuits and unstable hand servo's) but have limited patience for small metal mini's, so opt for a more basic paint app for them.

Like the seam on Gunnar or Fink's slightly undersize Bowler, I notice "defects" in the customs when I post pics which are less noticeable 'in the flesh'.
Mean's head looks slightly oversize but every time I walk past him with glue/paint drying in my work area I grin and giggle like a juve who's just bought Titan Books - Cursed Earth Part Two with his hard earned pocket money.
I try to aim for a ThreeA meets my own DIY aesthetic, as to fit with the rest of my official release figures.
He's my custom and I think he's great, which is the important thing.
:)

Trooper McFad

Quote from: lincnashOZ on 03 January, 2023, 07:51:38 PM
I guess if my initial pics of chopping up Marvel Legends Punisher as a donor for a custom Mean, was "Mean on 1!".
After the first round of dry brushing I've hit "Mean up to 2!"
I've learnt I could while away the hours dry brushing a 6" action figure (large enough for this ageing droids failing optic circuits and unstable hand servo's) but have limited patience for small metal mini's....

Like the seam on Gunnar or Fink's slightly undersize Bowler, I notice "defects" in the customs when I post pics which are less noticeable 'in the flesh'.
Mean's head looks slightly oversize but every time I walk past him with glue/paint drying in my work area I grin and giggle like a juve who's just bought Titan Books - Cursed Earth Part Two with his hard earned pocket money.
I try to aim for a ThreeA meets my own DIY aesthetic, as to fit with the rest of my official release figures.
He's my custom and I think he's great, which is the important thing.
:)

Thanks for posting the finished Mean - he's superb 👍🏻👍🏻

I feel your pain with the failing optics & hand servos 😂😂😂

I also sympathise when you spot all the defects that none of us see. I have the same issues with mine and definitely see more issues in any pics I post. The figures are always better in the flesh.

Just accept that everyone else will love Mean.

Question- do you have issues with the paint rubbing off when moving his arms and if not what's your secret?

Do you have any other projects planned for 2023?

lincnash

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 03 January, 2023, 08:44:21 PM
Thanks for posting the finished Mean - he's superb 👍🏻👍🏻
.... <snip> ....
Question- do you have issues with the paint rubbing off when moving his arms and if not what's your secret?

Do you have any other projects planned for 2023?
He's really cool but not quite complete.
I'm going to go another round of dry brushing fleshtone enamel to subdue his chest hairs.
'In hand' I'm getting a bit of an over the top Bee Gee's 1970's vibe so I'll tone it down.

Q1: If you look at the 'six-pack' area of belly hair, there's a few glints of the original Punisher skull in white showing where the enamel paint has rubbed after accidentally touching when wet.
The best way to avoid this is to have a plan, do the actual paintwork, THEN RESIST the urge to 'correct' or 'add'.
Put him in a drying area for at least 12hrs and DO NOT TOUCH.
I think the other issue will be the large 'elbow wheels' I added, rubbing on the rib-cage, I'll be careful not to force or rub in poses.

Q2: No, nothing planned the the moment, get Mean to a passable standard when happy with paint app and fabric accessories.

I hope to pay homage to the god-like art droids when he's complete.
I've been refraining from googling images and largely been going of my own head-canon (which seems to be a mashup of McMahon, Ezquerra and throw in a heavy influence of Mean from JUDGE DREDD '95 (I AM THE LAAAAAAUUUUUW!))
Have google imaged now for a colour scheme, so I'll be aiming for something like these prog covers:-

Zarjaz!
:-)

lincnash

MEAN UP TO 3!

Mean is really beginning to take shape now, chest hair subdued, fine details to right arm, 'original version' belt with utility pouches and red trousers coming along nicely.
:)  :D  ;)