Main Menu

Why is there crap in my prog?

Started by karne, 20 October, 2002, 08:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karne

If Tharg's so mighty, why does he allow so many below average stories to appear in the mag? Discuss.

Arguments about maintaining the balance will not be entertained, neither will the following:

I wanted to try something different (I had a space to fill and a deadline to meet and so I raided the reject pile).

It was right for the time (obviously not).

I wanted to attract new readers (by alienating and losing the old readers).

It was the fault of the staff droids.

The Dictators of Zrag did it.

There are no prizes (but what's so good about some over-priced postcards anyway) and no marks will be awarded to the most original answers. Remember if you would like your answer returned please enclose a stamped addressed E-Mail. :)

The Amstor Computer

+++If Tharg's so mighty, why does he allow so many below average stories to appear in the mag?+++

Isn't it obvious Earthlet? Without thrillsucking garbage like Bison, how could you fully appreciate zarjaz strips like Space Girls and Wireheads? (uh...)

...and on the more serious side, try a few stock phrases like: "pressure of a weekly anthology", "lack of fresh talent" and "comatose UK comics industry"...

Jayzus B. Christ

Big time. Most good novel writers only produce a few good books in their lifetimes; imagine having to keep consistent quality with only a few good writers every single week. Not easy, I'd imagine. Pearls amongst pigshit, maybe, but personally, I'm thankful to have had the numerous quality strips we have seen over the years.

Jayzus B. Christ

I have a vague memory of a Dredd story where there is a computer screen with a big shouting mouth on it taking over the justice dept. Any ideas what this story was called?

Also, anyone remember Karl Heinzpilchardsintomatosauceclayderman? Beats Michael Fish every time.

Trout

The Dictators of Zrag are, like me, wonderfully evil despots, if a little smelly.

Don't diss the Zrag boys!

BRING EM BACK NOW!

(One day I'll actually take part in a serious discussion on this board...)

- Trout

Malchidiel

Serious discussion, this board...Hmm. I'd go for the fact that even mighty alien editor's feel under the weather sometimes.

karne

Hmm, perhaps I should have posted "Why is there carp in my prog?" in honour of your trouty majesty. :)

Trout

Well done sir. Respect to our brothers the carp.

- Trout

Adrian Bamforth

For me I think there is sometimes an element of the pairing of art & script droids: For me some strips come to life because of the artist, Sinister Dexter being a prime example, which is nearly always a barrel of laughs when drawn by Davis, but too often just seems embarassing by others. Imagine for example Bison drawn by Arthur Ranson - still not a great story but perhaps more readable if pepped up with Ranson's sense of cinematography?

ADE

karne

Excellent point Ade, maybe we'd all be looking back on Wireheads all misty eyed and nostalgic if Bolland or Fabry had drawn it. Ooh somewhere in a parallel universe.

Check out my earlier posting "Hollywood does it, why can't 2000ad" for further views on this.