Main Menu

CLiNT RIP

Started by Richmond Clements, 14 August, 2013, 06:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

Well, well, well and it was the answer to 2000 AD, which seems to be still going!

Mabs

Hey our very own Montynero gets a name check! I'll have to check out your work Monty!  :)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Frank

The release of Kick Ass 2 makes this a good week to bury bad news. I hope our own Monty Nero didn't have anything scheduled for future issues.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I bought a couple of issues, mostly for Secret Service, but I baulked when it was renamed "Mark Millar's Clint".

Also, I don't like Kick Ass, so maybe it was never for me.

Sad to see any comic go, though, especially with Strip seemingly teetering on the precipice itself.

sheldipez

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 14 August, 2013, 07:09:31 PM
I bought a couple of issues, mostly for Secret Service, but I baulked when it was renamed "Mark Millar's Clint".

Also, I don't like Kick Ass, so maybe it was never for me.

Sad to see any comic go, though, especially with Strip seemingly teetering on the precipice itself.

That's the worst part. This kinda thing isn't going to help future investment in new comics.

JamesC

My girlfriend went to the Doctor with CLINT RIP. He told her to find a less generously endowed lover.*

*Not all the elements in this story are strictly true.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Commiserations to all those contributors for CLINT Magazine. A bad day for the British Comic scene. Boo! :'(
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Banners

Quote from: JamesC on 14 August, 2013, 07:52:36 PM
My girlfriend went to the Doctor with CLINT RIP. He told her to find a less generously endowed lover.*

How charming.

maryanddavid

It really is a pity, I only every bought a few issues, not my cuppa tea. But it was good value, Rex and some of the articles aside, there was a lot of reading material for the price.

Millar and Titan gave it a go and put their money and their properties out there and for it survive this long has to be marked as a success, credit to them for trying, and credit to Millar for trying something for the British newstands.

Jim_Campbell

There's one thing that's guaranteed death to a high street anthology title: you have to come out with metronomic regularity. You have to be a habit for your readers. Give 'em a chance not to buy your title and a chunk of your readership will drop off. It's really not rocket science. Given that CLiNT was --what?-- 75% reprint, it's failure to hit a monthly schedule was baffling.

(Yes, I'm aware of the irony that I, who work for Strip, am saying this.)

I didn't care for much of the content or tone of CLiNT, but more comics are automatically better than fewer comics. Somebody, surely, must be able to get this right?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

maryanddavid

QuoteGiven that CLiNT was --what?-- 75% reprint, it's failure to hit a monthly schedule was baffling.

I didn't know it was erratic, as you say baffling.

Bat King

I don't regularly buy CLiNT or Strip. I sometimes feel guilty for not doing as I'd like to see more quality British comics. But I still get a buzz from 2000AD, not just reading it out of habit (though obviously partly) so I guess that's why I didn't get hooked by either...

Well that and I didn't always find it in WHS... But I don't shop in WHS anymore due to the HUGE cut they take off the comics. How can a new comic succeed with WHS n the like taking at least 50% of the cover price?
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

JamesC

Quote from: Banners on 14 August, 2013, 10:27:44 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 14 August, 2013, 07:52:36 PM

How charming.

I felt like a real twat about 5 minutes after posting that. Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and punch myself.

Anyway, I think it's a shame that Clint has folded. I bought a few issues and enjoyed them but I think it was a bit style over content at times - and Mark Millars style can be pretty devisive.

Again, apologies for that shitty joke.

maryanddavid

Quoteat least 50% of the cover price?

I think that's pretty much standard if you want to get distributed in ANY newsagents. I may be corrected, but I think the like of Tesco can then demand more to be displaid prominently.