Main Menu

RIP W. R. Logan

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 21 May, 2016, 04:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Plumrose

Rather shocked by this. My only physical interaction with Logan was when he came over to talk PVS at whatever DreddCon it was. I remained silent and was aware only after when Paul told me who he'd been talking to.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

JayzusB.Christ

Never met him. In fact I'd had very little interaction with him of any kind until I mentioned on this forum that I'd love to read the American (Eagle?) reprints of the Apocalypse War and Block Mania.  He sent them all to me for free.
He was a brilliant person.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Leigh S

Quote from: JTPegg on 21 May, 2016, 06:58:55 PM
Bit stunned. Knew Stewart for 20years, was there when he first suggested, 'shall we do a fanzine'? And saw the birth of W.R. Logan. Been drunk too many times to count and once slept in the back of an estate car with the man so we could meet John Wagner the next day. He said I snored, I still don't believe him.

Stewart was a great storyteller and he could spin a life-yarn that would have you in stitches. He did a hell of a lot in his time from hard circumstances and I have nothing but respect for th guy. Really can't believe this has happened...

All the best, mate, you will be missed.
Can't quite get my head around this

I remember making long coach journeys to the London comic fair from Brum in the early 2000s(?), where Rufus, JT and Logan had a stand selling Class of 79..  I recall wondering how Rufus and JTs work was so good I couldnt imagine why they werent working for Tharg, and of course now both have/are!

To me he was always Logan, someone who knew his stuff - Like Dredd, I always had the notion that "Nothing impresses Logan" - laconic as his fictional hero.  This is incredibly sad news... I met him a good number of times, and he was 2000AD fandom for me in those early days of the internet.  May his Lawgiver always fire true

Banners

Logan's influence on this board, throughout Dredd fandom and upon the strip itself was immense. For those of you that knew him personally, you were blessed to be able to call him a friend, and I offer you my condolences.

Professor Bear

One of the earliest characters I recall from the board, he steered a chunk of the fandom and the fanzines that put more than just PJ on the comic-creator-monkey career path.

He didn't really seem that grumpy to me, but I'm glad what little grump there was, it was no reflection of him in real life.  My thoughts and condolences are with his family and those on the board who were lucky enough to know the non-grump described above.

maryanddavid

What a great shame, I only met him once briefly at a Dreddcon, but we did correspond over the years. He was always helpful with what every particular piece of information I was after.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Pete Wells on 21 May, 2016, 09:49:37 PM
Quote from: Trout on 21 May, 2016, 09:11:43 PM
I hope John Wagner takes this opportunity to mangle or maim Judge Logan further.

Yeah, I know it's definitely too soon to be joking, but Stewart would've laughed. So, fuck it. :-)

Ha ha ha! This made me laugh too Trout, you can bet he would have liked it.

I once asked John Wagner if he had any more horrible shit planned for poor old Judge Logan and the way his face lit up with glee showed just how much he enjoyed that little game

critter

I first met Logan on a 2000AD mail list, way back in 1998 or 1999. His Class of '79 was my inspiration for Mega City Tours. I always thought of Logan as a British version of myself. He was always willing to help with an image or odd bit of obscure information when I asked for it. I'll miss him, I wish I had the chance to meet him.

Link Prime

Sad news.
RIP, and my condolences to all who knew him.

COMMANDO FORCES

I've just been chatting to Deborah and due to the repatriation being undertaken by the USAF, nothing can happen until he's on home soil and at the moment the military will be contacting Deborah on Monday and we should know something then.

A couple of requests have been made for when the funeral dates are announced.

If anyone would like to draw a suitable picture, or pictures for the programme of Judge Logan, that would be most welcome.
If the comics world would like to send flowers, then something fitting, say perhaps a Dredd helmet and yes donations would be lovely but we will have to wait for the cause closer to the day, as obviously, things are all up in the air at the moment.
The final thing, would be a Logan Badge and I'll be contacting PR about that.

Again, as and when I hear more I will post it up.

TordelBack

Thanks for keeping us informed John.

Mike Carroll

I'm in shock. I didn't know Stewart very well, but I greatly admired him. He was a legend. I never met anyone who knew more about Dredd. He was smart as a whip, always quick to offer help, hated the on-line bullies and didn't suffer fools gladly.

It's no surprise that Stewart was the inspiration for Judge Logan - he had all the qualities a great Judge needs.

Condolences to his family and friends.

-- Mike

Goaty

Oh damn, on my wedding day :-( RIP to 2000AD fan legend. I will raise a glass for Logan at airport tonight.
John, let me know about donation info.

Colin MacNeil

I am utterly shocked and deeply saddened by this news. I atually read this thread last night, but didn't know what to say. In remembrance of him I polished off the last of my good whisky last night while smoking a pile of fags. I hope he would have approved.

My heartfelt condolences to his nearest and dearest.

He shall be missed, but he certainly won't ever be forgotten.

Grugz

Again,never met the lad but he will obviously be missed by one and all. see you on the streets logan r.i.p.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html